This is mainly for jotting down my notes, but I would like feedback as well.

Ok, I was playing VVVVVV on the computer a couple weeks ago. Today I was reading some omnimaga threads and I think I can implement some of this to the game.

Some ideas/things I will need to figure out:
*storing the levels
*deciding if it is worth it to display the name of the level
*making a main loop that does a getkey<30 (got this from some game called GraVitY, or something like that)
*Implementing the vertical and horizontal "flippers"
*making "," and " ' " be the spikes
*choosing a character to be the floor/ceiling
*Making an interesting border for logs/other messages
*making the portals
*deciding what the character will look like (I kinda like the look of this character except when it is flipped http://ourl.ca/3331 )
*I also would maybe like to implement the idea of having the things be ascii but shifted one to the right like this http://ourl.ca/3816

If I think of more I will edit them in my post. Any suggestions, questions, and comments welcome
Player, this all looks good, although I have a question. What did you mean about GetKey? Are you trying to only get keys in the top row, 2nd/mode/del, and arrows? Or are you trying to get at something else there?
Just saying, if you go the xLIB route, real(8 is much faster than getkey, and you won't have to use ASCII art to display anything Smile [ and generally real(1 is faster than Output( ] but that is just my opinion on that.

Elsewise, I'd say storing the levels in large matrixes with strings accompanying them might not be bad. But then you do have slowdown at the end of the matrix/string. So you could in theory use 1 huge string [ maybe... 4 or 6 screens big ] and then use many matrixes and use some fancy math to swap between them. Hmm
Wow, I never replied to anything you all said :/

Anyways, the reason for the revival is that I might just use this idea for the contest, and use some of the things CDI was talking about.

Before I lost it, it had all the features I was talking about in the first post, minus the portals. To answer KermM: Basically, it was a loop that handled all of the gravity and such. It was in that loop specifically because its faster than checking for keys each time (doesn't have to skip around all of the if:then:End blocks). I'll get around to writing some of the features in a little bit.
That sounds quite nifty; I'm sorry that you lost it! I hope that you do indeed recreate it, although I'm disappointed you won't be pursuing an ASM+DCS GUI-based entry.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours