KermMartian wrote:
Nice find. The linked article from the second link you found (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/12/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-22-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/) looks perfectly doable, although I fear it may overwhelm a Linux newbie like EpicFail. Sad

WOW, didn't think to look at the actual link... yeah, ALSA is hard to install for a Linux newbie indeed... I'll look at every detail of what I post from now on...
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Nice find. The linked article from the second link you found (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/12/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-22-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/) looks perfectly doable, although I fear it may overwhelm a Linux newbie like EpicFail. Sad

Overwhelming it is! From what I got out of it, I should upgrade alsa, and to do this I have to manually enter commands into the terminal, am I right?

Yes, you need many commands to type into the Terminal...
And there is no copy+paste kinda thing I could use?
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:

Actually, Shift-Ctrl-V will paste copied text into the Terminal... and on Step 2, I'd personally use "sudo service alsa-utils stop" if you want to attempt the ALSA upgrade...
technomonkey76 wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:

Actually, Shift-Ctrl-V will paste copied text into the Terminal... and on Step 2, I'd personally use "sudo service alsa-utils stop" if you want to attempt the ALSA upgrade...
Indeed. Actually, you can more or less copy-paste the whole thing one line at a time, of course being careful to note the outputs of each command to ensure everything is running smoothly.
Wish me luck, I'm trying for it.... I'll post what happens.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Wish me luck, I'm trying for it.... I'll post what happens.

Right, as Kerm said, make sure you look at the output of every command... good luck!

EDIT: yeah, it needs to be one line at a time, too; any line break in a pasted command will immediately execute the command and no others below it...
Er..... Well after step 1 it said make sure the output is this:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

My output is this:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

I think I'm already upgraded... Crying
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Er..... Well after step 1 it said make sure the output is this:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

My output is this:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

I think I'm already upgraded... Crying

no... it says it will upgrade you to 1.0.23... move on with it...

ALSO: I'm now rebooting into Ubuntu myself... so I will help you if you post that you need help ASAP.
Going on.... Waiting for step 3 to finish.... Text is scrolling on the terminal and there are percent numbers, so I guess it's installing...
I just realized that Ubuntu 10.10 alpha 2 INCLUDES ALSA 1.0.23... yea i'm running it... if you're willing to deal with an occasional bug or two instead of having to upgrade ALSA the difficult way, you can press Alt-F2, type "update-manager -d", and press enter... it will say a distribution upgrade is available and you can upgrade your whole OS instead of just ALSA, although it'd take a while to upgrade all the files... sorry I realized so late, as well!

P.S. I just randomly wanted to share that I got an upgrade from an 83PSE to a 84PSE!
technomonkey76 wrote:
I just realized that Ubuntu 10.10 alpha 2 INCLUDES ALSA 1.0.23... yea i'm running it... if you're willing to deal with an occasional bug or two instead of having to upgrade ALSA the difficult way, you can press Alt-F2, type "update-manager -d", and press enter... it will say a distribution upgrade is available and you can upgrade your whole OS instead of just ALSA, although it'd take a while to upgrade all the files... sorry I realized so late, as well!

No matter, thanks, I'll upgrade the OS.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
technomonkey76 wrote:

No matter, thanks, I'll upgrade the OS.

I just hope that person's solution on the forum actually works for you... I don't have that sound card so I wouldn't know if it'd work or not... but if one person says it helped, I believe him/her.
Ugh... I get this message now.

Unable to get exclusive lock.
This usually means another app management system is running, please close it first.

I really don't know how to see whats running on Linux.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Ugh... I get this message now.

Unable to get exclusive lock.
This usually means another app management system is running, please close it first.

I really don't know how to see whats running on Linux.

You're still using apt-get in the Terminal... just wait for it to finish or you might screw something up...

Only one package manager can run at a time; they include apt-get, aptitude, update-manager, synaptic, software-center and probably others I'm not aware of...
Well, thanks for all the help, hope I wasn't too much trouble. I'm going to log off now and fix this.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Well, thanks for all the help, hope I wasn't too much trouble. I'm going to log off now and fix this.

It wasn't too much trouble at all... although it is now 1:26 AM where I live, I really don't care... Razz

Come back to this if it doesn't work for some reason... I'll bookmark it and check back often enough...
Me too Very Happy I usually just stay up til I pass out. Seeya later.
technomonkey76 wrote:
I'd be wary of an alpha, but it can't be too bad. Smile

Quote:
P.S. I just randomly wanted to share that I got an upgrade from an 83PSE to a 84PSE!
Congratulations! You should give the old calculator to one of your favorite calc gurus to help build their collections. Laughing Either that, or learn to type on two calculators at once, one in each hand.
KermMartian wrote:
I'd be wary of an alpha, but it can't be too bad. Smile

Yeah, Ubuntu alphas are actually quite stable... by the time development has finished for 10.10, the GNOME global menu will be included with at least the Netbook Edition, and right now it has an AMAZING new sound tray icon - it lets you control RhythmBox via it! <-- Wow, that sentence was poorly written!

KermMartian wrote:
Congratulations! You should give the old calculator to one of your favorite calc gurus to help build their collections. Either that, or learn to type on two calculators at once, one in each hand.

I actually would, but I also recently learned that the old one was STOLEN by my freakishly immature 21-year-old brother... Mad hopefully he won't try to swap my new one out now... Confused I need it for Algebra II (I'm finally in my freshman year of HS starting August 16, 2010!) Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours