So, I bought a remote for my camera thinking it'd work because the 400D is close in tech specs to the 40D, so I assumed hardware was too.

Before going out to buy my remote I took a cell photo of the connection that needed to fit into my camera. Below; the hole in question is the middle female. The above is a 3.5mm.

(I did take a better photo, but it has a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged in and thus can't tell it's real size by comparison.)

Found a remote with a cable that had that end. Bought it. Got home. Unpackaged it. Hooked it up and found an end that didn't fit anywhere on the remote receiver. The end I had plugged in to the camera plugs into the receiver. And thus, I now need to find a cable with two 2.1mm(?) plugs or an adapter for this bad boy.

Size of it:

Any idea if and where there is a male connector that has another male end that'll fit the port in my camera? or if there is a male to male cable for the port in my camera since both the receiver and my camera take the same size plug.
It looks to me like that's a 2.5mm stereo socket. I'd assume that it's something very very simple, like you simply ground all the lines together to take a photo. However, it would be good if you could plug in a stereo 2.5mm male connector, then use a multimeter to read the potentials between each of the three possible wire pairs and tell us what you find. I'm intrigued that the remote you got has three distinct connections; is the other end basically just a single button to press?
I've found out that this will work on a camera released last year that I've been eyeing so maybe I've found a reason to justify a new camera, but I'll look into it more in-depth.
KermMartian wrote:
It looks to me like that's a 2.5mm stereo socket. I'd assume that it's something very very simple, like you simply ground all the lines together to take a photo.
Great idea Neutral I shall try that with some wire.
Quote:
However, it would be good if you could plug in a stereo 2.5mm male connector, then use a multimeter to read the potentials between each of the three possible wire pairs and tell us what you find. I'm intrigued that the remote you got has three distinct connections; is the other end basically just a single button to press?
I'll see what I can do there. And yes,it's basically a button.

The doo-dad on the right attaches to the camera and has a cable from it to the camera. The left doo-dad is the wireless part.
Oooh, it's wireless, forget my grounding the wires together idea. You could break serious things. Smile If it was just a button connected by a long wire, my idea would work, but this changes thing.
KermMartian wrote:
Oooh, it's wireless, forget my grounding the wires together idea. You could break serious things. Smile If it was just a button connected by a long wire, my idea would work, but this changes thing.
It's wired to the camera and can either be triggered wirelessly or via buttons on the receiver.

Receiver on camera

Wireless Remote:
Ah, then it seems to me that perhaps it sends a signal, either pulling a line high or low? A multimeter (and ideally and an oscilloscope, but that's an exponentially longer shot than a multimeter) would be very helpful here.
So, I bought a 2.5mm Male to Male from Frys today and the remote works fine! As soon as my dad comes home I'll ask him for either a Mulitmeter or an oscilloscope.
comicIDIOT wrote:
So, I bought a 2.5mm Male to Male from Frys today and the remote works fine! As soon as my dad comes home I'll ask him for either a Mulitmeter or an oscilloscope.
Nifty, I look forward to seeing what you discover. Smile Good luck.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours