Hi folks!
So, as you know, with limited computer, assembly, and Axe resources, I've been playing with pure TI Basic for the last week or so. This will continue until the 19th. However, there is good news.
I am announcing Edge, the next pure TI Basic RPG to grace your calculators! It features amazing graphics, great battle mechanics, and an enthralling story. I have already done the tilemapper (the very same one I have mentioned elsewhere), exploration, and the basic engine. Much of the battle graphics are done as well. I am extremely satisfied with the quality of graphics. If not for the speed in tilemapping, and the slowness of certain sprites, it would look like it was done in assembly. The only downside is it takes a moment to load each map, and some of the battle animations are slow. However, this is not a problem whatsoever. The tilemaps use 5x3 tiles, with a combination of ASCII and text sprites, and because of the small tile size, and entire town can be rendered and be explored without changing maps. The sprite speed is not an issue, and it does not get in the way of gameplay. In several places, I use the delay to my advantage, rather than using rand(XX.
Guys, I'm really excited about this game, and as soon as I can transfer it to an emulator, you will get screenshots galore. It is a beautiful games, and I can barely tell that it uses ASCII tiles and has some sprite limitations.
SirCmpwn, awesome! Sorry to hear that you're still having computer access issues, though. Sad This sounds exciting though, I'm looking forward to seeing these screenshots. Did you work out a storyline for it yet?
I have a partial storyline, and you guys can check out screenies here: http://ourl.ca/6334/104224
SirCmpwn wrote:
I have a partial storyline, and you guys can check out screenies here: http://ourl.ca/6334/104224
I'm having trouble loading pages on Omnimaga, but I'm sure they look awesome. I'll let you know what I think once I actually get through to looking at them.
Okay.
They look sweet, thanks!
Game looks cool, are you by chance thinking of entering it to the DCS7 contest?
Naw, I have a different entry for the DCS contest (if I ever get to it x.x)
And what about the axe contest?
I'm submitting "Secret Game"
SirCmpwn wrote:

Sounds mysterious! I can't wait to see how this turns out.
There we go, those look great! Of course, the speed is horrendous, but I'm sure you'll work on it. Smile

Well, the *tilemapper* speed is horrendous.
SirCmpwn wrote:

I lost. Besides that, nice screeny, good luck. (I could make you an Answer only program that does tilemapping Wink jk Probably be super slow though... idk I'd have to try... *shrugs* )
SirCmpwn wrote:
Well, the *tilemapper* speed is horrendous.
Precisely, that's what I meant. Still, it's very complex and nicely composed for the amount of time that you've gotten to spend on it so far. Smile
I think the not-tile mapping technique I used for my Quest: GRPG demo way back when could be modified for good effect and reasonable speed., at least on an 84+....
elfprince13 wrote:
I think the not-tile mapping technique I used for my Quest: GRPG demo way back when could be modified for good effect and reasonable speed., at least on an 84+....
What was it, text-based sprites or something? I do love me a nice text sprite. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
What was it, text-based sprites or something? I do love me a nice text sprite. Smile

stat sprites. The big problem I ran into was the scale of the map I was using (i.e. area of map vs number of pixels I was making the OS draw for me), but if you used smaller map areas I think it would work well. I never explored it too much because my interest in developing a full-scale RPG went kaput pretty quickly.
elfprince, I would like to see that sometime!
I was thinking I could just make the tilemapper in assembly, and have it do the exact same thing, just faster. It would still keep the spirit of pure Basic, but would make the speed tolerable.
SirCmpwn wrote:
elfprince, I would like to see that sometime!
I was thinking I could just make the tilemapper in assembly, and have it do the exact same thing, just faster. It would still keep the spirit of pure Basic, but would make the speed tolerable.
I don't think you'd be compromising the game's integrity too much if you did that. Smile Might as well, even if that makes it a hybrid game.
Yeah, waiting 45 seconds per map would kinda suck, especially if the player is traveling a long ways.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours