From a cross-post from omnimaga

Ok..ok... I contacted ti about the entire nspire 2.1 being non-downgradeable. Here is the response:

Alec,

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

This is a very good question you have about the TI-Nspire handheld. Once you upgrade your handheld to OS 2.1, you will not be able to re-install any OS before OS 1.7. I regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Another resource you can use to find answers to your questions, example calculations and other information is our Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is accessible to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

http://support.education.ti.com

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you have further questions or comments, please feel free to send me an email.

Warmest Regards,

Doug Fincher
That's a standard form letter from TI, I'm sure approved by Legal. Don't read too far into it. Smile
We knew about the downgrade issue already. As for the rest? Just a typical HR cookie cutter response. I'm a bit confused as to why you took this to TI as a company that made downgrading impossible would not renable downgrading without a really good reason to (but I'm sure they'd just release another upgrade to fix any problems as they'd have to release an upgrade to enable downgrades)
Kerm: yeah, when I sent them an e-mail once I got a very similar reply (the details different, of course)
I just wanna know what they have to say :/

I am trying to wrangle a ndless excuse
qazz42 wrote:

That's what they have to say. They won't say anything else. TI doesn't support ndless, It's like telling your parents that you didn't crash the car because your eyes were closed.
qazz42 wrote:

What do you mean, an ndless excuse? An excuse for ndless not being a violation of some kind of copyright law (sidebar, is it atm? I haven't followed ndless that closely).
No, an excuse that ndless is the reason for non-downgrading, and maby a fix beccause I tried to seem very unhappy without 1.6
qazz42 wrote:
No, an excuse that ndless is the reason for non-downgrading, and maby a fix beccause I tried to seem very unhappy without 1.6
They're not going to release a fix, because it's not broken. It's an intentional choice on their part. Razz And they're not ever going to say that community efforts are the cause for their actions, even if it happens to be the real reason.
Hmm, Good point... But hey, never know.
qazz42 wrote:
Hmm, Good point... But hey, never know.
I suppose, but it's extraordinarily unlikely in this kind of situation. Smile
But if I guise myself as a very pissed off guy who wants 1.6.... it might, just might work
qazz42 wrote:
But if I guise myself as a very pissed off guy who wants 1.6.... it might, just might work
Yeah, and they're gonna say tough luck, 2.x versions offer more features, bug fixes, and stability fixes, and there's no reason for you to need 1.6
damnit I got a response from them on WHY they blocked downgrading

Alec,

Thank you for your reply.

With the latest OS, we have added several new features and functions. Also, running the latest OS ensures you receive the best customer service since this is the OS we recommend to all our customers.

As for why you can't downgrade past OS 1.7, this is something I cannot answer. If you'd like, I can forwarded your inquiry to my Technical Escalations team who work with the TI-Nspire family developers. They may (or may not) be able to get an answer to your inquiry.

Warmest Regards,

Doug Fincher
------------------------
Of course he can't tell you why Razz
Also, don't expect the Technical Escalations team to get you any good answer, when I asked about the missing RAM, it was basically something to the effect of "TI continually re-evaluates their hardware"
Wow, that really suxs, wait is the Technical Escalation team contacted by phone or email
No, as he said, he'll contact them for you. Again, expect to wait awhile and not get a good answer.
Nah, I dont want to bother, I just said that my question was answered and have a nice day, I got what I was looking for,
qazz42 wrote:
Nah, I dont want to bother, I just said that my question was answered and have a nice day, I got what I was looking for,
Interesting. I would almost have been interested in seeing what they had to say, but I doubt it would have been anything enlightening about the issue.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours