Does this look like I need to reinstall the OS?
Yes
 100%  [ 6 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

I recently asked, on omnimaga, for an assembly routine that automatically creates a group with a name defined by Str3 and its contents defined by Str4. He was able to produce a routine that creates the group in RAM, then Archives it, so as to avoid having to unlock and write to the Flash. So I was testing the first one and my calc crashed. Both RAM and Archive were deleted, and the following post-crash things are happening:

1. Any of the reset memory functions freeze, and require a battery pull. Once I do this, then I have to pull a battery and press ON and CLEAR, then insert the battery just to get the calc back on.

2. The CalcSys application randomly crashes if I attempt to enter VAT or system flags, and will not turn back on unless I battery pull and press ON + DEL (to get OS install message), then press CLEAR to turn off calc, then pull battery again and this time press ON + CLEAR.

Edit: ArchUtil was able to recover my archives once i put it back on my calc. Now, seeing my above problems, should i do an OS reinstall? Will reinstalling delete my Archive?
Yes, re-install the OS. Re-installing the OS won't mess with the user archive, but it couldn't hurt to wipe it anyway.
BrandonW wrote:
Yes, re-install the OS. Re-installing the OS won't mess with the user archive, but it couldn't hurt to wipe it anyway.
Seconded. Sounds like an OS re-install is your only surefire way to go at this point.
Buy a TI-89.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Buy a TI-89.
Shush, troll, 68k calcs won't help this situation. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Buy a TI-89.

Probably not, but why slam an excuse to get a new and better calculator? Don't make me revoke your nerd license.
allynfolksjr wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Buy a TI-89.

Probably not, but why slam an excuse to get a new and better calculator? Don't make me revoke your nerd license.
OK, you have a point, but that still doesn't help him with all the important z80 programming and development that he needs to do.
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Buy a TI-89.

OK, you have a point, but that still doesn't help him with all the important z80 programming and development that he needs to do.

Or he can move onto bigger and better programming...
allynfolksjr wrote:

Or you can just shut your fu*kin mouth.
Svakk wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Or you can just shut your fu*kin mouth.

Please stay on-topic. Thanks!
Yes Your Majesty.
Anyway, so ACagliano, are you going to try reinstalling the OS? Let us know how it goes.
Ok. I will. Btw, if Flash has been unlocked, will sending a new OS relock it?
The OS refuses to go in. Once install is complete, and it moves to validation it does that for a few seconds, then the calc shuts off. I need to do a battery pull and ON + CLEAR to get back on. Same instability remains. I tried it again, but this time, sending a good CERTIMG.8xv variable to the calc, along with PUTCERT.8xp and tried to run it. After it said CERTIMG written, I tried OS re-install again. Same results. What is going on???
ACagliano wrote:
The OS re-install crashed upon the start of validation. Brandon, this is urs now.

Edit: But once i got the calc back on, it said 2.43. That means it went in.
And is it functioning properly now? Or still lots of issues?
Also, for some unknown reason, whenever RAM clears, it takes the Archives with it.
Wait, where did you get the OS that refuses to go in?
He got it from me. It was an old 2.43 that I had on my computer.

It sounds like the problem is that stupid garbage group object that you made. Try holding 5 and 8 while turning the calculator on. Then clear all memory.

I would guess that when you ram clear, and the OS is populating the vat, it sees a group with a name like "GROUP%$&" and goes, wft is that?! So then it crashes. I would say a good memory clear and you should be back on track.
Brandon should be able to help ypu, I assume you cirtificate is ruined?
It can't be the certificate, as I used a good CERTIMG.8xv file and wrote it back onto my calc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours