Surprised This thing friggin' rocks!
I saw the some of the parts separately on DigiKey for close to $40.
Definately need to get my hands on one of these...
Anakclusmos wrote:

Question Explain.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:

Question Explain.
Seconded, do you mean for the MSP specifically? Or some other microcontroller, like the Arduino?
oscillators very $$$ on DigiKey
ports come to about $10-15

need I go further?
sucks that some MCU/PU's can reach around $30-50 bucks depending on the quality...
Anakclusmos wrote:
oscillators very $$$ on DigiKey
ports come to about $10-15

need I go further?

Yes actually; please link us to these components that are on the MSP430 board that are "close to $40".
Let me know how all this turns out... I'm quite curious if it's worth buying Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Let me know how all this turns out... I'm quite curious if it's buying Smile
I'd be curious just to see if anyone succeeds in getting through to the store first. *worth buying?
Exactly. Laughing

(oh, and ty for the correction. It was 1:30 or so when I wrote it. Hardly had my eyes open. Didn't even notice there was a second page XD )
swivelgames wrote:
Exactly. 0x5

(oh, and ty for the correction. It was 1:30 or so when I wrote it. Hardly had my eyes open. Didn't even notice there was a second page XD )
Haha, nice. I think it's worth wasting $2.15 to me to test out a new microprocessor and see if it would be good for some of my projects that don't require the full I/O complement and memory of the Atmega line.
KermMartian wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
Exactly. 0x5

Haha, nice. I think it's worth wasting $2.15 to me to test out a new microprocessor and see if it would be good for some of my projects that don't require the full I/O complement and memory of the Atmega line.

I agree xP
So basically TI has been generating tons of hype with these prices and no one has actually received one of them yet?
I saw a post on HaD a couple days ago from someone claiming they had received one. More likely demand has far outstripped their small initial supply.
The Tari wrote:
I saw a post on HaD a couple days ago from someone claiming they had received one. More likely demand has far outstripped their small initial supply.
Oh, don't worry, I wasn't implying a bait-and-switch, just lamenting their lack of anticipation for high demand.
Indeed. Nice to see it's in high-demand. That means there'll be a lot of devs out there working on it and posting up crap about it on teh webz to search for Smile

Should be a great project to play with Very Happy
*bump*

I finally got around to pulling this out and messing with it a bit after my board arrived sometime in August. Some messing with interrupts to slowly pulse the onboard LEDs, tested and working with TI's CCS:

Code:
#include  "msp430x20x2.h"

signed char dc = 16;
#define DC_LEVELS 32

/*
 * LEDs are bits 0 and 6 of PORT1
 * Button is bit 3
 */

unsigned char mode = 0;
#define MODES 3

unsigned char fade_level = 0;
unsigned char fade_delay = 0;
unsigned char fade_dir = 1;
unsigned char fade_mask = 0;
#define FADE_LEVELS 16
#define FADE_DELAY 16

unsigned int jiffies = 0;
unsigned int jiffies_max = FADE_LEVELS;

void main(void) {
    //Load DCO calibration values from data Flash for 1 MHz
    BCSCTL1 = CALBC1_1MHZ;
    DCOCTL = CALDCO_1MHZ;
    //Set LEDs as outputs
    P1DIR = 0x41;
    //Use watchdog for periodic interrupts, reset the timer
    WDTCTL = 0x5A1A;
    //Enable watchdog interrupt
    IE1 = 0x01;
    //Enable global interrupts
    __enable_interrupt();

//Loop forever
    while (1) {
        if (P1IN & 0x08) {
            if (++mode >= MODES)
                mode = 0;

const unsigned char masks[] = {0x41, 0x01, 0x40};
            fade_mask = masks[mode];

//Debounce
            while (P1IN & 0x08);
        }
    }
}

#pragma vector=WDT_VECTOR
__interrupt void WDT_ISR(void) {
    if (++jiffies >= jiffies_max)
        jiffies = 0;

//Timings
    if (jiffies == 0) {
        if (++fade_delay >= FADE_DELAY) {
            fade_delay = 0;
            if (fade_dir == 1 && ++fade_level >= FADE_LEVELS)
                fade_dir = 0;
            if (fade_dir == 0 && --fade_level <= 0)
                fade_dir = 1;                   
        }   
    }
    //Toggle; hit DC
    if (jiffies < fade_level)
        P1OUT = 0;
    else
        P1OUT = 0xFF & fade_mask;
}
Looks like some pretty straightforward C coding to me, especially considering how painful interrupts can be in z80 on the calculators. I really need to get me one of these. Razz
Are they still selling these for $4.30? I lost track after the first month. I didn't get one, it seemed like it would be junk for the price. A good Arduino is more than 3 times that price!
adept wrote:
Are they still selling these for $4.30? I lost track after the first month. I didn't get one, it seemed like it would be junk for the price. A good Arduino is more than 3 times that price!
Oh, I knew (and many people here knew) that they were massively undercutting the price in order to get people interested, which was a very successful gamble as far as I can tell. You can still get the MSP430 Launchpad for $4.30, although it looks like you have to pay shipping now.
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, I knew (and many people here knew) that they were massively undercutting the price in order to get people interested, which was a very successful gamble as far as I can tell. You can still get the MSP430 Launchpad for $4.30, although it looks like you have to pay shipping now.

Agreed. Between the Launchpad and Chronos ez430, I expect they've gotten all sorts of people interested in their platform. Good for all involved, it seems, as it gets hardware out there and earns TI some cash.
Absolutely, plus it upsets the monopoly that the Arduino had been slowly building on the hobbyist microcontroller market, which in the long run is good for everyone, since both platforms will have to continue to innovate and improve to retain existing users and attract new ones, in my opinion.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours