http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10141121.stm

WTF Texas?! First preaching "intelligent design" and now this?
O...M....F....G....
From what I've read Thomas Jefferson isn't being dropped entirely, and teaching free market economics is a plus.
Ya know. I have no words to express my level of shock.
i do!!

What.... the......#$@!
We should let Texas go back to being its own country. Stupidest state in the union.

USA founded on Christian beliefs? Bwahahahaha! No, it wasn't.

Honestly......
oooh nnooo this IS perfectly alright,

Teaching from a liberal view to the point where you exclude presidents is totally NOT bias.

*sarcasm*
qazz42 wrote:

Teaching from a liberal view to the point where you exclude presidents is totally NOT bias.

*sarcasm*
*Conservative point of view. You got it backwards. Razz
qazz42 wrote:

*sarcasm*

They believe there is too much liberal bias in what they teach, so they intend to "balance it out" by putting in a conservative bias. Makes perfect sense. </sarcasm>
Conservatives are a cornered beast at this point. They'll continue to whine and moan and lash out like this for as long as they can, but they'll die out soon enough.
DShiznit wrote:
Conservatives are a cornered beast at this point. They'll continue to whine and moan and lash out like this for as long as they can, but they'll die out soon enough.

Your ignorance of politics is astounding.
not really, i expect them to die out too
qazz42 wrote:

Unlikely. Conservatives might be becoming fractionalized by the GOP and the teaparty, but ultimately they will always be united in their opposition of the current administration.
A few things here:

1: Separation of church and state as Jefferson believed had nothing to do with forbidding people from exercising religion or religious beliefs in the government. The idea was to exclude the possibility of a state run church, such as the 17th century Anglicans in England, or a church run state as illustrated by Catholicism.

2: Anyone who actually pays attention to economics and not to kissing up to politicians will notice that free-market economics is the only acceptable course of action. Get a course from the Mises Institute.

3: The U.N. is a threat to American freedom. Anyone who disagrees can consider the recent proposition to make American perpetrators of 'war crimes' liable to U.N. courts. Those courts might include members of the enemy nation(s) or their allies!

4: Thomas Jefferson is my favorite president of all time. No way I support Texas' decision to remove him from the list of enlightened thinkers.

5: I am a CLASSICAL liberal, that is a libertarian or modern conservative. I believe firmly that modern egalitarian liberalism has the potential to lead to fascism or even communism (not that it definitely will, but there is a real risk associated). No true communism can exist long (don't point to China, they have a black market).
qazz42 wrote:

And you probably live somewhere like LA, San Francisco, Boston, NYC, or another urban area, don't you? Look at this map. Red counties are the counties that voted McCain in 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/election/uscounties.html

Does that look like a political movement which is dying out? No, I didn't think so either.

me2labs wrote:
A few things here:

1: Separation of church and state as Jefferson believed had nothing to do with forbidding people from exercising religion or religious beliefs in the government. The idea was to exclude the possibility of a state run church, such as the 17th century Anglicans in England, or a church run state as illustrated by Catholicism.

2: Anyone who actually pays attention to economics and not to kissing up to politicians will notice that free-market economics is the only acceptable course of action. You must have the freedom to act in a market.

3: The U.N. is a threat to American freedom. Anyone who disagrees can consider the recent proposition to make American perpetrators of 'war crimes' liable to U.N. courts. Those courts might include members of the enemy nation(s) or their allies!

4: Thomas Jefferson is my favorite president of all time. No way I support Texas' decision to remove him from the list of enlightened thinkers.

5: I am a CLASSICAL liberal, that is a libertarian or modern conservative. I believe firmly that modern egalitarian liberalism has the potential to lead to fascism or even communism (not that it definitely will, but there is a real risk associated). No true communism can exist long (don't point to China, they have a black market).

I mostly agree with you here, but you need to back up your points.
Too busy doing research for my college unless you have a particular area you'd like to challenge. Can't just generate a shotgun response, it takes too long. I'll defend a single point or two if anyone wants that.

Edit: Here's a defense of point 1:

Jefferson's views on religion and politics are clearly seen in the Statute for Religious Freedom that he wrote and which was passed by the Virginia General Assembly in 1786. Here is the paragraph that embodies the resolution, word for word, in the original grammar and verbiage:

"Be it enacted by the General Assembly, That no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened [penalized] in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinion in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

This obviously excludes church-run states and state-run churches, while allowing either one to influence the other through the agency of individual action. According to this statute, then, prayer, religious studies, etc., are perfectly acceptable in our schools. And it's supported, not opposed, by Thomas Jefferson, as well as his confidant, James Madison.
me2labs wrote:
Really? So an international body to attempt to enforce diplomacy instead of brinksmanship and dangerous foreign policies is a negative force in the world? Can you back up this opinion with some more thoughts, facts, or depth?
me2labs wrote:
2: Anyone who actually pays attention to economics and not to kissing up to politicians will notice that free-market economics is the only acceptable course of action. Get a course from the Mises Institute.

How free do you want your market? Full hands off by the government is *horrible*. Free market only works if there is a healthy amount of regulation to support it. Republicans reduced the amount of regulation, and the economy collapsed. Removing more regulation isn't going to fix the problem.
I was just thinking how great the free market is in Somalia...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours