i have no idea why this happens... since i have never seen anything like this...

anyways... today i was trying to transfer in the new DCS password setup program and used TI connect, but for some reason the computer keeps giving me an error message saying the device is not recognizing the command. And the calculator's screen shows the normal cursor blinking, but its blinking on top of an arrow pointing downwards (a symbol), and as soon as i press any button on the calculator, it would then simply resets the ram...

i then tried transferring other programs and it seemed that the problem lies some where in the calculator's hardware or software... or perhaps its the cord...

could anyone help me with this problem? I would try and fix it by reseting the entire calc's ram and rom, but i have an important calc exam tomorrow so i am currently just going to ignore the problem temporarily, since the calculator works fine it self.

Confused Graphing Calculator Sad

oh ya... and i am using the new OS for TI-84 as well... though i dont thin that is causing it since i have been using it for a while and did transfer other programs before this problem appeared...

HELP!
A bunch of questions for you:
1) This is a real TI-84, not an Nspire keypad?
2) I/O (silver) link or miniUSB?
3) Have you tried a full memory reset?

Edit:
Quote:
[23:22:02] <BrandonW> Something's not quite right with that explanation.
[23:22:05] <BrandonW> I could totally see a crash like that.
[23:22:10] <toagac> g'night all
[23:22:21] <BrandonW> But it can't be working normally and still have that kind of cursor.
[23:22:27] <BrandonW> Unless the OS is corrupted.
[23:22:32] <KermM> BrandonW, I'm assuming something is corrupted
[23:22:44] <KermM> since he mentioned RAM clears occuring, I was suggesting full mem clears
[23:23:15] <KermM> if he's using the I/O port, it also occurred to me that the soldering might be loose
[23:23:23] <KermM> as has happened on many a calculator of mine
[23:23:39] <KermM> but I can't think how that would be connected to random chars in the homescreen buffer
KermMartian wrote:
A bunch of questions for you:
1) This is a real TI-84, not an Nspire keypad?
2) I/O (silver) link or miniUSB?
3) Have you tried a full memory reset?

Edit:
Quote:
[23:22:02] <BrandonW> Something's not quite right with that explanation.
[23:22:05] <BrandonW> I could totally see a crash like that.
[23:22:10] <toagac> g'night all
[23:22:21] <BrandonW> But it can't be working normally and still have that kind of cursor.
[23:22:27] <BrandonW> Unless the OS is corrupted.
[23:22:32] <KermM> BrandonW, I'm assuming something is corrupted
[23:22:44] <KermM> since he mentioned RAM clears occuring, I was suggesting full mem clears
[23:23:15] <KermM> if he's using the I/O port, it also occurred to me that the soldering might be loose
[23:23:23] <KermM> as has happened on many a calculator of mine
[23:23:39] <KermM> but I can't think how that would be connected to random chars in the homescreen buffer

its a real TI-84, and i was using the mini usb port
i am going to try a full memory reset after tomorrow since i have an important calc test tomorrow... since the calculator works fine by itself i am going to ignore it until then Sad

oh... and its not a random char, every time its the same down arrow symbol under the normal blinking cursor.
i think it might be an indicator for something is wrong Neutral
TI-84 does not exist.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
TI-84 does not exist.

nor do i...

yet here i am... Evil or Very Mad
schoolhacker wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
TI-84 does not exist.

nor do i...

He means that there is no Ti-84 model, there is however a Ti-84 Plus and a Ti-84 Plus Silver Edition.
TheStorm wrote:
schoolhacker wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
TI-84 does not exist.

nor do i...

He means that there is no Ti-84 model, there is however a Ti-84 Plus and a Ti-84 Plus Silver Edition.

... no matter what he knows exactly what i am talking about lol...
Cool
The direct USB link is known to fail very hard. The routines and such that TI utilizes to make it work on the calc was poorly written and can lead to some (apparently) interesting results.

Myself personally, I successfully transfered to my calc with the mini usb once, after that my computer refused to see it.

Best solution is to buy a silver usb link.

As to the error, I wouldn't really know, but maybe it is something within the usb protocols on the 84+ that is causing it?

I am sure Brandon would know more than we on that one tho.
This past week, for example, I discovered that with the direct USB link I could send an App, but when I attempted to resend (overwrite) it, the software claimed that "the device did not understand the command" and promptly crashed. I had to manually delete the App from the TI-84+, then resend it.
ok... never mind... it would seem that its just another low battery problem...

i thought it was a lost cause... then i saw that my parents got new AAA batteries because they were on sale so i thought... why not give it a try... i mean the (down arrow) symbol could mean its low battery or something...

and BANG! it worked!!!  (also... i had a hunch about this before as well... since i tried transferring programs from my friend's calc and it worked)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours