Well as you all know I am going to high school next year and take a graphing calc course. I am totally unprepared because all I know is how to send files. So now I have a goal and need all the support I can get.

My goal is to learn and master TI-Basic before the upcoming school year.

So I have done some extensive research and have learned the very basic of commands and have created my first program.

:ClrHome
:Menu("CHOOSE","DEATH",DE,"LIVE",LV
:Lbl DE
:Output(4,4,"YOU ARE DEAD":Stop
:Lbl LV
:Output(4,4,"IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZθR"
:Stop

Please any comments, insults to my being and such others are very appreciated.

Yes I will improve the program throughout my journey.
Fail.
Yeah well I am ignoring you because I can see your the mean sarcastic jerk of the site.

Razz just kidding but seriously......
Well, ignoring me would be the smartest thing you could possibly do.
Yes and admitting that is probably the smartest thing you will do.
It isn't an admission, it's advice. Expect an invoice in the mail shortly.

Code:
:Menu("CHOOSE","DEATH",DE,"LIVE",LV
:Lbl DE
:Output(4,4,"YOU ARE DEAD":Stop
:Lbl LV
:Output(4,4,"IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZθR"
:Stop

Don't use stop, its bad coding style. Use 'Return' instead.

Lbls are evil, eventually learn to not use them, it is possible.

If your last line of a program is 'Stop', just remove it, the program will stop on its own.

Did I mention that Lbls are crap?
Wait I think talking back to you was the dumbest thing to do because you outrank me!!!

oh and I take your advice

by the way you have to learn I am new at this and am using the source coder to improve the program and i shall change it accordingly.
Well I mean, yeah, lbls are crap, but he isn't trying to GoTo them. I think in this instance, it's an example of Occams Razor.
Yes I am only using them for the menu

Is there a better way?

I already learned that the labels are crap when doing the command GoTo
Quote:

If your last line of a program is 'Stop', just remove it, the program will stop on its own.

If you ever use Stop instead of Return, just remove it. Stop forces an exit from the parser, and will screw up any shells your program is being run from. Return only returns from the current program (meaning you can be called from inside another program without forcing it to quit as well), but either way, you don't need them as the last line of a program, just if you want to exit from another point.

Quote:
Did I mention that Lbls are crap?

On this note, he's more or less correct, with a few exceptions. But it's good to learn to program without them, and most of the time you won't need them. In this case though, you are using Menu() so Lbl's are a necessity, but I would recommend writing your own menu system as a first exercise.
qazz42 wrote:
Yes I am only using them for the menu

Is there a better way?

I already learned that the labels are crap when doing the command GoTo

I use While loops, but they can get rather complicated if you don't properly keep track of what you are doing. But the code is fast.
Ok but I have not learned that yet I'll get to it.
Get on it already.
Yo I do NOT have the time to do this for the nezt 2 weeks cause I have 7 COUNT EM 7 tests this week and this week alone.

Why don't I get a good job or good start....... and then I get the insults .

wow Pubescent rage

Anyways thanks for the ideas and keep em coming
And if you say things like "yo," I expect you to fail every single language class you will ever take.
Yes sir I am sorry sir......

*cough* not *cough*
Quote:

Please any comments, insults to my being and such others are very appreciated.

Now, you have created what is in essence a "Hello World" style program. This is the beginning to a programming career, but only if you have the dedication to make it work. I highly recommend you go read Tifreaks tutorials.
1. Yes that is what I am doing

2. I have alot of dedication trust me it is my goal in life to be a computer programmer and works for microsoft no really it is.....
Do me a favor, kid. Pretend every post you make here is going to be viewed by someone looking at your resume. Use proper capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. Do not use excessive colloquialisms. I promise you, the better you write, the more you will be respected.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours