So, I ran across this article today. About a time travler caught in a 1940's photograph.

Given the views the site provides, what is your opinionated conclusion?

Myself? I don't think it's likely. While the following isn't out of the question, I just don't believe the people in 1940 wore hooded garments, they were more likely to wear hats, trench coats and/or umbrella's.

I think he's wearing a t-shirt, a sweatshirt then a fleece or wool jacket. And also, it looks like what I believe is a hooded sweatshirt has a zipper. I believe they were more into buttons then, no?
It would be cool if it were true, but I'm guessing it's a hoax.

Google 'photography tricks and hoaxes' and see what you get.

You can put your picture on top of another and, with a little tweaking, make it look like it was that way originally.

I agree, they didn't wear that variety of clothing in the '40s
comicIDIOT wrote:
Myself? I don't think it's likely. While the following isn't out of the question, I just don't believe the people in 1940 wore hooded garments, they were more likely to wear hats, trench coats and/or umbrella's.

I think he's wearing a t-shirt, a sweatshirt then a fleece or wool jacket. And also, it looks like what I believe is a hooded sweatshirt has a zipper. I believe they were more into buttons then, no?
That's the whole reason why there's speculation in the first place.

The comment about the traveler's arm being the arm of the man behind him can be considered false as well, because if you look... the hoody/wool-jacket looks like it's short-sleeve almost. That is his arm, just follow the shape of it up to his shoulder (it's kinda hard to see because it blends with the man next to him). It looks like he's wearing a T-Shirt with an M on it, a long-sleeve hoody, and a short-sleeve wool jacket or something else on top of the hoody.

I'm not suggesting this is a time traveler. For a couple reasons (1) being because honestly we're trying to equate his dress with modern clothing, as opposed to future clothing. Remember people, we don't know how to travel through time yet! and (2) because variants of those clothes were available back then, they just weren't very popular... at all. lol
swivelgames wrote:
Remember people, we don't know how to travel through time yet!

If we were how would you know? Evil or Very Mad
swivelgames wrote:
For a couple reasons (1) being because honestly we're trying to equate his dress with modern clothing, as opposed to future clothing. Remember people, we don't know how to travel through time yet!

I don't know about you, but I constantly travel through time.
Dammit! Laughing

I'm talking about traveling back through time, idiots.
Yeah, we already know how to travel forward, but not backwards.

To go forwards, we need to be able to reach light speed and maintain it for as long as we wish to travel. When we are at light speed, we (theoretically) do not progress through time at all (universal energy expenditure constant) while everything else does. The effect is that presumably we'd end up ahead of where we started, but not aged one second.
me2labs wrote:
Yeah, we already know how to travel forward, but not backwards.

To go forwards, we need to be able to reach light speed and maintain it for as long as we wish to travel. When we are at light speed, we (theoretically) do not progress through time at all (universal energy expenditure constant) while everything else does. The effect is that presumably we'd end up ahead of where we started, but not aged one second.

Great, lets grab a 1920's Model T, strap 10 to the power of 1000000 # of rockets to it, and cruise through this planet's orbit in style until we get back and notice the world is gone, then we look at the date and it's December 22, 2012. Just a day too late...
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Great, lets grab a 1920's Model T, strap 10 to the power of 1000000 # of rockets to it, and cruise through this planet's orbit in style until we get back and notice the world is gone, then we look at the date and it's December 22, 2012. Just a day too late...
How relevant is this actually?
Not very.
if anyone actually read the article, you would notice that although he is out of place, he's not out of the time period.
Will_W wrote:
if anyone actually read the article, you would notice that although he is out of place, he's not out of the time period.
Yup, which makes this one a fun photo to ponder over.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Will_W wrote:
Yup, which makes this one a fun photo to ponder over.
Indeed. They had emblazoned sweaters, welding glasses, and such that could make this plausible.
If it's not a hoax, then it's what Kerm said. That is definitely not a time traveler.
swivelgames wrote:
I'm not suggesting this is a time traveler. For a couple reasons (1) being because honestly we're trying to equate his dress with modern clothing, as opposed to future clothing. Remember people, we don't know how to travel through time yet! and (2) because variants of those clothes were available back then

*cough* Smile
There's another photo of the same scene from a different angle and he is visible there too. I found it somewhere in the link trail, but I can't remember where.
Will_W wrote:
There's another photo of the same scene from a different angle and he is visible there too. I found it somewhere in the link trail, but I can't remember where.

Not this one, is it?

I can't even begin to believe he's that blurred back of a head in this photo.
That picture is of an entirely different scene... Neutral
comicIDIOT wrote:
Will_W wrote:

Not this one, is it?

I can't even begin to believe he's that blurred back of a head in this photo.
maybe if Kerm looked at it with his scouter.
KERM, WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours