http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
An interesting read. If that really is the next iPhone, it certainly is, for lack of a better word, "beautiful". If the iPhone ever stopped being carrier-locked (or I had the guts to jailbreak), I'd definitely get one if it looked like this.

Well, so long as I can get it for cheap or free Razz
No flash support is still no flash support
If you know a lot about flash, you most certainly wouldn't want flash support. I'm glad that adobe's monopoly is being challenged. The web would be better off without flash.
Yeah, fuck newgrounds, adult swim, ebaumsworld, miniclip, and every other games and movie website people use.
As more and more people don't have flash, developers will stop using it. Don't forget about flash's instability and resource harlotry.
That's a BAD thing. You'd be asking everyone who's ever programmed a flash animation or game to just throw all their work and lives away. Whether you like the format or not, some of the best things ever to hit the internet were flash-based, and you can't just convert from flash to another format.
DShiznit wrote:

True, but some of us just aren't all that picky. A phone is a phone. A phone that can play music is an even better phone. A phone that can play games, allow me to chat with friends on messenger, update Twitter, provide a decently organized planner to write down my homework in, and check the local news and weather is the best freaking phone I'll ever have. No flash support? Pffft, like I'm going to shun a phone for one minor missing feature.

Why the heck do we even NEED Flash on the iPhone/iTouch? I mean, Flash itself is a horrible idea as a main component of a website. With things like physical mark-up languages, at least you can make efforts to circumvent compatibility issues. With Flash, if it's not there it's just... gone. You can't make an "alternative" to Flash. People without flash miss out entirely.

As for games and movies/videos/etc, you couldn't play a lot of Flash games on an iPhone/iTouch if they use the keyboard and movies and videos are just more of a hassle than they are worth.
Flash is a huge part of the internet. Maybe you guys don't use it as much as I do, but I simply couldn't enjoy everything the internet has to offer without it. That's why I chose to buy a $300 netbook and a $20 magic jack, instead of a $500 "smart" phone that can only read books.
elfprince13 wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
My biggest concern is the legal ramifications of taking apart and publishing information and pictures of something that you found. I could see where a lawyer could try to spin that as anything from theft and willful destruction of property to violation of trade secrets. In before Cease and Desist order hits Gizmodo. Razz
If that's the next iPhone. Well, I have mixed emotions. I hate the blockiness to it, I loved the curved back but at the same time I really like this change.

KeithJohansen wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

True, but some of us just aren't all that picky. A phone is a phone. A phone that can play music is an even better phone. A phone that can play games, allow me to chat with friends on messenger, update Twitter, provide a decently organized planner to write down my homework in, and check the local news and weather is the best freaking phone I'll ever have. No flash support? Pffft, like I'm going to shun a phone for one minor missing feature.
Agreed. I'll use my phone as to-do list, a planner, and a means to update on the go. I'm not going to play flash games when I'm with my friends, update twitter and facebook? Yeah.

Quote:
Why the heck do we even NEED Flash on the iPhone/iTouch? I mean, Flash itself is a horrible idea as a main component of a website. With things like physical mark-up languages, at least you can make efforts to circumvent compatibility issues. With Flash, if it's not there it's just... gone. You can't make an "alternative" to Flash. People without flash miss out entirely.
Which is why I hate using flash for a website. Makes for hell when users want to share information. Instead of a direct URL, they send your website and then instructions on how to get somewhere. No, just no.

Quote:
As for games and movies/videos/etc, you couldn't play a lot of Flash games on an iPhone/iTouch if they use the keyboard and movies and videos are just more of a hassle than they are worth.
Agreed! Flash is overpopular. I find it used more in games than anything else. If you were to have flash on the iPhone & iPod Touch you wouldn't be able to play any games made in flash anyways. There's no button to bring up the on-screen keyboard, and even if there was, you'd loose half your screen to it. While the same is true for the iPad, at least you can still see a website with the on-screen keyboard, so it'd be possible there at least.
DShiznit wrote:
Flash is a huge part of the internet. Maybe you guys don't use it as much as I do, but I simply couldn't enjoy everything the internet has to offer without it. That's why I chose to buy a $300 netbook and a $20 magic jack, instead of a $500 "smart" phone that can only read books.
Flash is dog sh*t for anything that isn't a game and as comic said those games would not be playable on the iPhone anyway. Flash for videos was the worst thing ever, the use of it is a sign that things needed to change, look at html5 video they realized that a dependance on flash was an issue and looked into sloving it. Open formats will always win in the end and flash is far from that.
KeithJohansen wrote:
True, but some of us just aren't all that picky. A phone is a phone. A phone that can play music is an even better phone. A phone that can play games, allow me to chat with friends on messenger, update Twitter, provide a decently organized planner to write down my homework in, and check the local news and weather is the best freaking phone I'll ever have.
A cheap S40 Nokia handset will do all of the above and support Flash Lite. Why artificially limit yourself? Apple seem to be intent on making the decisions on behalf of the customer, something that rubs me up the wrong way!

TheStorm wrote:
Open formats will always win in the end and flash is far from that.
It's not like HTML5 is any better. Sad There's no standard video format for HTML5; the popular H.264 is a licensing minefield and as such is not supported in Firefox or Opera, whereas Theora lacks hardware acceleration and Safari support.
comicIDIOT wrote:
If that's the next iPhone. Well, I have mixed emotions. I hate the blockiness to it, I loved the curved back but at the same time I really like this change.

It seems likely to have been done in response to the wi-fi issues (plastic doesn't have quite the same effect on radio waves as aluminum)

[edit]

a little more back-story: http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone
elfprince13 wrote:

It seems likely to have been done in response to the wi-fi issues (plastic doesn't have quite the same effect on radio waves as aluminum)

Aha! Apple is getting smart! I think the design looks pretty sweet. Black really compliments it, lol. The change of button placement will be weird at first, I'm sure., but people will get used to it. The story behind it's discovery is also awesome. Just a hint, if you got a valuable, secret, unreleased, piece of hardware, and you plan to get drunk, leave it at home! Can't wait for the release. Cool
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yeah, I read that some where in the article but you can still curve plastic Rolling Eyes Laughing
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yeah, I read that some where in the article but you can still curve plastic Rolling Eyes 0x5

Evidently there's a lack of room inside the case....
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yeah, I read that some where in the article but you can still curve plastic Rolling Eyes 0x5

Evidently there's a lack of room inside the case....
I read that too P: It doesn't look smaller, but it does look shallower.

It certainly looks smaller when it was being handled in the videos. Not to mention that the depth isn't the only dimension the phone has Wink

Though I _am_ admittedly very curious about this screen that they can't do much with ( a MobileMe working like it's supposed to ) and what the ppi on it is.
Flash games generally use a mouse, but when they don't, all the more reason to use a netbook instead.

Anyway, I saw this on MSNBC today. One theory is that Apple intentionally left it for someone to find, to get people psyched for the new gimmicks and boost initial sales.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours