I need to find gigs over the summer.
I'd like another gig right now, actually. I blew my last one cause I was an idiot about it. It sucks when your parents don't instill work ethic in you as you grow older and you're lazy. Had to be taught it the hard way... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, lol, I should be getting a pretty good one here real soon, if I can finish up this piece of software I'm writing Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Right now I'm making nothing, and enjoying not having any student loans because my undergrad and Master's were full tuition; any PhD program to which I go will be paying me at least $30k/year or so on top of full tuition. \o/

Neutral Are you going to get paid $30K for being a student or a researcher?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Right now I'm making nothing, and enjoying not having any student loans because my undergrad and Master's were full tuition; any PhD program to which I go will be paying me at least $30k/year or so on top of full tuition. \o/

Neutral Are you going to get paid $30K for being a student or a researcher?
Both: PhD students are basically researchers who take a handful of classes in their first year or two.
Kerm, stop trolling the noob.
KermMartian wrote:
Spot-on 40 hours a week. Smile Right now I'm making nothing, and enjoying not having any student loans because my undergrad and Master's were full tuition; any PhD program to which I go will be paying me at least $30k/year or so on top of full tuition. \o/

So yup, you're broke. Called it.

I wouldn't even bother to read the job description of a $30k/year job. Wink

Hell, my car was $20k...
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Spot-on 40 hours a week. Smile Right now I'm making nothing, and enjoying not having any student loans because my undergrad and Master's were full tuition; any PhD program to which I go will be paying me at least $30k/year or so on top of full tuition. \o/

So yup, you're broke. Called it.

I wouldn't even bother to read the job description of a $30k/year job. Wink

Hell, my car was $20k...

That may be, but it's very gay.
Pah, my car was only 3250.
My car was only 2,000.
The car I drive right now was 1,800 but ended up costing ~$5500. Oh well, not my money. That's what happens when people are arrogant enough to ignore other people telling them "You're not going to get sh*t with $1800!"
swivelgames wrote:
"You're not going to get sh*t with $1800!"
I drive a '00 Saab. Was a steal for two grand. Minor amounts of work have gone into it: tires, rims, driving shaft, water pump. It's still like new. You can get decent cars for cheap these days.
Oh, mine is a 95 accord, in near pristine condition. 126k miles right now, runs like a dream.
comicIDIOT wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
I drive a '00 Saab. Was a steal for two grand. Minor amounts of work have gone into it: tires, rims, driving shaft, water pump. It's still like new. You can get decent cars for cheap these days.

Foreign cars maybe.
I have a '99 manual transmission Tacoma, runs like a champ.
swivelgames wrote:
The car I drive right now was 1,800 but ended up costing ~$5500. Oh well, not my money. That's what happens when people are arrogant enough to ignore other people telling them "You're not going to get sh*t with $1800!"

My friend got an older (but good condition) Jag for like $1200. Ran amazingly for over a year, until his girlfriend totaled it.
comicIDIOT wrote:

That's a lie. All Saabs are broken. No such thing as a non-broken Saab, they just don't exist.
comicIDIOT wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
Whoa, driveshaft is considered "minor"? I thought you had to take apart most of drivetrain to get to it.
Hah, yeah, driveshaft isn't minor, is it?

My waterpump went out on my 97 Accord... Which tore the motor to shreds. Then I got a new motor for $650 + $300 for the installation (by a friend) and that went out because the engine company sent me a bad motor. Then I went to take them up on the warranty and they refused. I finally pinned them after two months of fighting and my "friend" conveniently didn't renew his ASE cert from back in 2001! So I lost that battle cause he lied to me... Then I just now got it running again a month ago. New motor (diff company) was $770 total (shipping, all that), installation + new parts (axels, waterpump, clutch, etc...) was up to $1600.10, and then my brakes locked up so I just spent ~$415 to get my rear-right caliper rebuilt, a new rotor, and brakes redone.

Now, finally, after spending ~$5.5k on the b*tch it's running great! Very Happy
That's what happens when you get ripppped.

Now my registration and inspection just went out, and apparently after a speeding ticket, an officer pointed out that according to the State of Texas my car isn't insured, so I got a ticket for that too. (even though I have full coverage...)
Sorry to hear it, Swivelgames, that sounds like a massive pita. Sad
I thought you were leaving?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours