So, after a bit of thinking , i decided to switch my XP to linux, but i cant decide which distro.

I dont want ubuntu, but i want something easy and fast.
What is the best distro for a newbie?
Ubuntu, or Fedora.
Well, i might just go with ubuntu, and when im ready, ill change to something else, like xubuntu
Derp wrote:
Well, i might just go with ubuntu, and when im ready, ill change to something else, like xubuntu
What are your objections to Ubuntu, exactly? Have you tried it before, or are you biased against it because someone's been talking trash about it? Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Derp wrote:
What are your objections to Ubuntu, exactly? Have you tried it before, or are you biased against it because someone's been talking trash about it? Smile

Just as an fyi xubuntu and ubuntu are pretty much one and the same. Just a different file manager.
You could try Linux Mint. Mint is supposedly very Windows-user-friendly and hassle-free.
Mint is nice. It comes with flash player and the like already installed, which is a plus if you're new to linux. Make a seperate partition for your /home so it's easy to switch if you don't like it or want to try something else.
Quote:

What are your objections to Ubuntu, exactly? Have you tried it before, or are you biased against it because someone's been talking trash about it?

I've tried it with the live CD, and as a dualboot OS,
Derp wrote:
Quote:

What are your objections to Ubuntu, exactly? Have you tried it before, or are you biased against it because someone's been talking trash about it?

I've tried it with the live CD, and as a dualboot OS,
Fair enough, and what aspects of it did not appeal to you? Did you feel it had too many packages installed by default? Driver problems? Missing software? Ran slowly? Awkward interface? I've been using it for years as a desktop, netbook, and server OS and have yet to run into any major problems.
I had a problem installing software , and it ran slowly.

I just installed Xubuntu, works well, except for one problem.
I had some files on a external 100GB HD, and Xubuntu doesnt notice the hard drive. Any help?
what's the format on the disk? You may have to install the ntfs FUSE drivers, but I think Ubuntu comes with those by default now....so you probably just have to mount it.

Alternatively, openSUSE.
Derp wrote:
I had a problem installing software , and it ran slowly.

I just installed Xubuntu, works well, except for one problem.
I had some files on a external 100GB HD, and Xubuntu doesnt notice the hard drive. Any help?

I have to say I like your choice of Xubuntu over Ubuntu, I know its only a slight difference but IMO XFCE is just better put together and a little more intuitive than Gnome.

As for the external drive you may need to use the NTFS configuration applet that should either be under settings or System in the menu to enable read and write access.
The HD works now , thanks. I downloaded the drivers.

Theres only two things i dont like about linux:

1. some file formats aren't supported

and 2. it's hard for a first-timer, like me. But i'm learning
Derp wrote:
The HD works now , thanks. I downloaded the drivers.

Theres only two things i dont like about linux:

1. some file formats aren't supported

and 2. it's hard for a first-timer, like me. But i'm learning

1. What file formats are you trying to open? I'm sure someone here can suggest a program that you can use to open them with.

2. Again post a question, I'm sure someone here would love to help you with w/e you need.
okay, for 1. i meant that they aren't supported natively, you need a program to open the files.

and 2. It's hard overall to adjust, I'll ask if something comes up that i cant just google Cool
What do you mean they aren't supported natively? You need a program to open most files in Windows, even if that program comes preinstalled. It's much easier to adjust; keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.
I think he's referring to windows executables, which from what I understand can be run natively in Ubuntu or emulated with WINE, though lacking full Directx support.
Well, lets take the .mp3 files for example

I needed to download some codecs and stuff for Exaile to play them
When i first got my Windows XP i could just automatically play it in WMP

Edit: First problem Sad

I need a FLV to mp3 converter, something with a GUI , not a Terminal one
why not get VLC? it plays flv files, heck it plays almost everything.
tifreak8x wrote:
why not get VLC? it plays flv files, heck it plays almost everything.
Seconded. And VLC is my media viewer of choice on Windows as well, which in my experience almost never has any of the codecs I need by default in Windows Media Player.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours