I would like to know how could I have download stats on my website to keep track of most popular files or such, I know nothing much about Javascript but I know Kerm did it with Cemetech as well as Ti freak ware and I think that would be cool because Omnimaga lacks a download system. I can use HTML in my forums so maybe that should eb hard, but I dont know how to do that and I dunno if tis complicated, thanks in advance Smile
I know how TI-Freak8x did it, and unless you can upload files to the server, then you are out of luck. I am using the same system on my site, once things get going.
Actually, my d/l stats are a PHP program I wrote, sorry, not JS. Smile
Ti-Freakware is PHP also, from PHP junkyard, but there is a little bit of Java used to dispaly the click on each.
actually since all files are hosted on earthforge I am wondering if for example I have a file download link if it would be possible to link to a page that increment a counter or something similar to other download counts on most websites and that page would redirect to the file itself. The script would be hosted on earthforge. the thing is that then I dunno if its possible to do it in JS since I dont know if my host support PHP
Nope, impossible with JS, the stats have to be stored somewhere, and only Perl and PHP can do server-side storage. JS can't. Sad
yeah, the only problem with JS.
Doesn't CSS2 have counters of some sort? If I recall, my CSS book says there are, but unfortunately IE may break all CSS driven websites into oblivion...just look at mine for proof (it's valid CSS but IE destroys it).
kirb wrote:
Doesn't CSS2 have counters of some sort? If I recall, my CSS book says there are, but unfortunately IE may break all CSS driven websites into oblivion...just look at mine for proof (it's valid CSS but IE destroys it).

Nope, CSS is only formatting, can't do server-side inclusion. Sad
maybe you could host a php counter on my server, and use it on yours. I don't see why it can't be done.
The only problem with that idea is the length of time it would take to download stuff, and he would need access to your server if say he messed up a link url, he would need access to clicks.txt...

Also, you like that system too? Smile I think it is great.
currently right now, he has ftp acces to my server, and the speed isn't bad. I was offering it as a last resort, if need be.
I mean there will be a bit of a lag time, since it will have to access your server, then find the document, find the line that it is being referred to, then send to the file. There is a little bit of lag time on my site, but I think I have a way of fixing that...
yeah, true, but some of that is the script doing its thing.
actually I might ask crimsoncasio if the server support PHP, I dunno if I would need a SQL database though, but he hasnt been here for a long while Sad
The way my server works, you don't need the files hosted here. My script records the download click, then redirects to whatever URL was forwarded to it.
I don't like JavaScript that much since some use JavaScript blockers. I only use it for the ring banner and the counter for visitors.
Interesting. I, on the other hand, use plenty of JS: my entire sidebar and topbar are PHP-generated JS.
Well, I only use JS if a script that I have downloaded tells me how to use it, since I don't understand the language all that well.

PHP, Not really all that good with it either...

@Kevin: the download counter does not need a sql database, it just will need to have the clicks.txt file chmod 777.
...or depending on the script that you use, whatever.whatever

Cemetech uses http://www.cemetech.net/scripts/countdown.txt

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours