Does torque support it yet, and if so, how do I use it?

On a semi-related note, I have a blue/green static ball floating in a shapeless void, and I want it to spin. How do I do this? Should I animate it, and if so, how do I call this animation from a script? Or, is there an engine function I can call from a script and use for a looped rotation of a static shape?
Must be; consider the toybox.
That's an interesting observation, however the toybox rotates waaaay too fast for the (scaled-down)planet-sized object I need to rotate.

EDIT- ok, at the resolutions torque supports, bump-mapping would be next to useless, so I just need that rotation...
Item's rotate if you tell them too. Bump mapping is, I think, something that comes with shaders in TGEA (or the modernization kit)
Except as I mentioned, the item rotate is too fast. Is there no function I can use for a looped rotation?
You should probably just go for a static animation.

Assuming such a thing can even be done. Tried it myself and never managed to make "item" class objects animate.

Plus, bump mapping, last I checked, is TGEA only.
Well it's not an "item" class(which can animate, I've done it) it's a TSStatic. Anyway, I figure it's about time I showed you guys exactly what I've been up to. This is what I did last night instead of sleep:

The only problem, besides the lack of rotation, is that the lights still show up on the lit side of the planet, because I can't seem to get it bright enough to overshadow it(I have the sun color set to 1 1 0.9, with an ambiance of 0 0 0). It's not a huge deal though. The rotation is more important to me.
GreyMario wrote:
You should probably just go for a static animation.

Assuming such a thing can even be done. Tried it myself and never managed to make "item" class objects animate.

Plus, bump mapping, last I checked, is TGEA only.
Negative. How do you think I made RC-Maze so quickly? Wink
That's a HEIGHTMAP, not a BUMP MAP.
ROFL. Apologies, lol, I'm not thinking straight today Wink

Very nice update Shiz Surprised
Oooooh, that looks epic. Always thinking way way way out of the scale of reality, I would love it if you could descend to the planet, build on the apparently flat ground terrain, then go up to orbit and build in space with the earth looming behind you.
KermMartian wrote:
Oooooh, that looks epic. Always thinking way way way out of the scale of reality, I would love it if you could descend to the planet, build on the apparently flat ground terrain, then go up to orbit and build in space with the earth looming behind you.
That would be absolutely amazing Smile
KermMartian wrote:

That would actually be quite possible, if someone hadn't put a cap on view distance...
DShiznit wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

That would actually be quite possible, if someone hadn't put a cap on view distance...

DShiz, make a very slow looping animation and set that to play, though it wouldn't get along well with building on the surface.....what's the cap on view distance?
2000. Not nearly enough for the size planet needed for surface dwelling.
interesting, I didn't know that limit was there. I'll look into it.
it's probably there to keep retards from setting an ungodly distance on terrain maps and crashing the game. What they fail to realize is that once you take the terrain block out of the picture, you can make the distance as large as you want without hurting much.
Someone should make a map that has the moon from Majora's Mask looming overhead Very Happy
DShiznit wrote:
it's probably there to keep retards from setting an ungodly distance on terrain maps and crashing the game. What they fail to realize is that once you take the terrain block out of the picture, you can make the distance as large as you want without hurting much.

that depends a bit on how many bricks are on the server too, but y'know Wink
well I added an animation, but I'm not sure how to call it. It's a TSStatic right now, so I think I'll need to switch over to a ShapeBase static shape. Question is, what do I do from there to make it play the animation when the map loads?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours