I'm curious as to how you guys view our president's plan for Healthcare, a consumer protection agency, and other things, as well as the supposedly radical opposition to those plans in the form of "Tea Party Protests". I think Obama is trying too hard to please everyone in congress, which is never going to happen, and he should instead focus on pleasing the majority of the American people, who elected him to office. I think, under the right circumstances, "Tea Party Protests" could be a good idea, if the people involved with them knew what they were talking about(which in many cases, they don't). I think we should at least give Obama's plans for a public health care option, and a consumer protection agency a chance. If they don't work, we can always repeal them later. Now, I don't know as much about this "Consumer Protection Agency" as I should, but it sounds to me like a good idea, if not allowed too much power. As for the Public Option, considering how terrible health care in this country is ranked compared to the rest of the world, it would be prudent to at least try SOMETHING, especially if that something is influenced by the European systems that appear to work so much better than ours. What do you guys think?
Pretty sure we have at least one topic on this already...

Anyways this new "health care plan" (what's left of it) doesn't really benefit anyone now.
I wouldn't be so sure. Just look at recent newsletter I got from GOP.com(you send them one picture of your a** and you're on their list forever):
Quote:
Dear Leroy,

Harry Reid finally thinks he has his caucus in order. He’s cut backroom deals and received verbal commitments from the Senators he needs, including Joe Lieberman and Ben Nelson. Now he’s scrambling to hold a vote on his job-killing “health care” bill before anyone has a chance to change his or her mind. This is a bill that will raise your taxes, not cut them. It will increase the deficit, not decrease it. It will cut Medicare, not preserve it. This bill will cost more than a trillion dollars in taxpayer money if everything goes exactly as planned. And worst of all, it will increase the cost of your health care premiums – the exact opposite of what meaningful health care reform was supposed to accomplish. This is the bill that Harry Reid and his allies are celebrating.

But don’t let the bluster fool you. Reid’s scared, he’s weak, and he knows that he’s just one defection away from losing this fight. If you can convince just one Democrat Senator to vote against Harry Reid and with the American people, you will have killed this bill. You are one vote away from victory. Contact your Senators today and let them know that their jobs are on the line. Tell them to vote with the American people, not against them. Call them or email wavering Democrat Senators through the GOP action center. Tell them to kill Harry Reid’s bill.

This is the moment of truth. Do not let Harry Reid destroy our economy. Do not let him demolish our health care system. Contact your Senators and stop this bill! The time is now for you to make this happen! Stop Harry Reid – TODAY!

Yours,

The GOP Action Team

They're scared, and if you compare this to the previous newsletter:
Quote:
Dear Leroy,

You’ve done an incredible job fighting Harry Reid’s toxic health care “reform” experiment. He thought he could pass a bill containing everything he wanted, but now he and his Democrat allies are desperate to ram anything through the Senate before Christmas - no matter how many jobs, dollars, or votes it costs.

It’s not too late to stop them. With a few Democrats threatening to vote against Reid’s legislation, it is more vulnerable now than ever. This is the time to kill this bill, and there are three ways you can take action today:

* Call your Senators at 202-224-3121 to tell them that if they vote for Harry Reid’s bill, you’ll pledge your time, money, energy and vote to deny them another term in office.
* Click here to email on-the-fence Senators and let them know that a vote for Harry Reid’s bill is a vote against the American people.
* Contribute to the Republican effort to stop the liberal agenda – and if you do it now, the RNC major donor groups will add $2 for every $1 you give, tripling your donation and your impact.

Harry Reid’s nightmarish legislation is on the ropes. Now is the time to deliver the knockout blow and put this bill out of its misery. Do it now! Take action today!

Yours,

The GOP Action Team

you'll see they are less certain then they were just 2 days before.
DShiznit wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Just look at recent newsletter I got from GOP.com(you send them one picture of your a** and you're on their list forever):
Quote:
Dear Leroy,

Harry Reid finally thinks he has his caucus in order. He’s cut backroom deals and received verbal commitments from the Senators he needs, including Joe Lieberman and Ben Nelson. Now he’s scrambling to hold a vote on his job-killing “health care” bill before anyone has a chance to change his or her mind. This is a bill that will raise your taxes, not cut them. It will increase the deficit, not decrease it. It will cut Medicare, not preserve it. This bill will cost more than a trillion dollars in taxpayer money if everything goes exactly as planned. And worst of all, it will increase the cost of your health care premiums – the exact opposite of what meaningful health care reform was supposed to accomplish. This is the bill that Harry Reid and his allies are celebrating.

But don’t let the bluster fool you. Reid’s scared, he’s weak, and he knows that he’s just one defection away from losing this fight. If you can convince just one Democrat Senator to vote against Harry Reid and with the American people, you will have killed this bill. You are one vote away from victory. Contact your Senators today and let them know that their jobs are on the line. Tell them to vote with the American people, not against them. Call them or email wavering Democrat Senators through the GOP action center. Tell them to kill Harry Reid’s bill.

This is the moment of truth. Do not let Harry Reid destroy our economy. Do not let him demolish our health care system. Contact your Senators and stop this bill! The time is now for you to make this happen! Stop Harry Reid – TODAY!

Yours,

The GOP Action Team

They're scared, and if you compare this to the previous newsletter:
Quote:
Dear Leroy,

You’ve done an incredible job fighting Harry Reid’s toxic health care “reform” experiment. He thought he could pass a bill containing everything he wanted, but now he and his Democrat allies are desperate to ram anything through the Senate before Christmas - no matter how many jobs, dollars, or votes it costs.

It’s not too late to stop them. With a few Democrats threatening to vote against Reid’s legislation, it is more vulnerable now than ever. This is the time to kill this bill, and there are three ways you can take action today:

* Call your Senators at 202-224-3121 to tell them that if they vote for Harry Reid’s bill, you’ll pledge your time, money, energy and vote to deny them another term in office.
* Click here to email on-the-fence Senators and let them know that a vote for Harry Reid’s bill is a vote against the American people.
* Contribute to the Republican effort to stop the liberal agenda – and if you do it now, the RNC major donor groups will add $2 for every $1 you give, tripling your donation and your impact.

Harry Reid’s nightmarish legislation is on the ropes. Now is the time to deliver the knockout blow and put this bill out of its misery. Do it now! Take action today!

Yours,

The GOP Action Team

you'll see they are less certain then they were just 2 days before.

Okay, this is about not passing the health care bill, not proving that the current iternation is beneficial to anyone.
notice where they talk about backroom deals. That's where(I hope) a lot of the more beneficial components that were removed earlier will be put back in. The fact that they're this scared tells me that this bill will make some big changes in the end, changes that I hope will be for the better.
The GOP is just bitter that they lost the election and are now being a bunch of whiny bitches. That whole party needs to STFU already.

Also, the "Tea Party Protests" are a joke. They are pissed at Obama for spending money helping the people when Bush spent a whole shitload more fighting a war nobody wanted.
Kllrnohj wrote:
The GOP is just bitter that they lost the election and are now being a bunch of whiny bitches. That whole party needs to STFU already.

Also, the "Tea Party Protests" are a joke. They are pissed at Obama for spending money helping the people when Bush spent a whole shitload more fighting a war nobody wanted.

because "the people" are so happy with the job Obama is doing.

Quote:
Here is the list of presidential approval ratings after 1 year in office:

-- Barack Obama, 47 percent
-- George W. Bush, 86 percent
-- Bill Clinton, 52 percent
-- George H.W. Bush, 71 percent
-- Ronald Reagan, 49 percent
-- Jimmy Carter, 57 percent
-- Gerald Ford, 52 percent
-- Richard Nixon, 59 percent
-- Lyndon Johnson, 74 percent
-- John Kennedy, 77 percent
-- Dwight Eisenhower, 69 percent
-- Harry Truman, 49 percent

You'll notice who is lowest on that list, and who's highest Wink

To be honest though, I was just fine with the health care bill as proposed by Obama in his speech, where the government health insurance would be organized to force competition among the other providers, rather than as socialized health care. The version actually being passed is a worthless piece of crap. And probably worse than that because of the privacy issues it introduces with electronic record keeping.
Kllrnohj wrote:

That's surprisingly elitist of you. Not that I disagree, but I was hoping to hear a more conservative viewpoint here that would clash with the liberal one I have...
DShiznit wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

That's surprisingly elitist of you. Not that I disagree, but I was hoping to hear a more conservative viewpoint here that would clash with the liberal one I have...

Kllrnohj, conservative? BWAHAHAHAHA!
He's seemed conservative on other issues in the past, but I guess that's a good thing. He isn't towing any party line, just making up his own mind on an issue by issue basis.
elfprince13 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

because "the people" are so happy with the job Obama is doing.

Quote:
Here is the list of presidential approval ratings after 1 year in office:

-- Barack Obama, 47 percent
-- George W. Bush, 86 percent
-- Bill Clinton, 52 percent
-- George H.W. Bush, 71 percent
-- Ronald Reagan, 49 percent
-- Jimmy Carter, 57 percent
-- Gerald Ford, 52 percent
-- Richard Nixon, 59 percent
-- Lyndon Johnson, 74 percent
-- John Kennedy, 77 percent
-- Dwight Eisenhower, 69 percent
-- Harry Truman, 49 percent

You'll notice who is lowest on that list, and who's highest Wink

Not necessarily meaningful. When Clinton left the US was in great shape - there was a surplus, economy was just fine, etc.. Bush screwed everything up, and when he left the country was in shambles and falling apart quick. Many of the problems laid at Obama's feet are due to things Bush did.

DShiznit wrote:
He's seemed conservative on other issues in the past, but I guess that's a good thing. He isn't towing any party line, just making up his own mind on an issue by issue basis.

What issues? I'm not republican or democratic, and the terms "conservative" and "liberal" are often incredibly misused by mainstream media.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

What issues? I'm not republican or democratic, and the terms "conservative" and "liberal" are often incredibly misused by mainstream media.

I was about to make that very point. The words "Liberal" and "Conservative" are no more than arbitrary labels now, as someone who labels themself a "Conservative" often has no interest in conserving freedoms like abortion, or conserving the environment at the cost of the infrastructure we've established on top of it. Likewise, someone labeled as "Liberal" has no interest in "liberating" corporations from government oversight, or the liberty of having guns.
methinks you're confusing liberal and libertarian Wink
DShiznit wrote:
I was about to make that very point. The words "Liberal" and "Conservative" are no more than arbitrary labels now, as someone who labels themself a "Conservative" often has no interest in conserving freedoms like abortion, or conserving the environment at the cost of the infrastructure we've established on top of it. Likewise, someone labeled as "Liberal" has no interest in "liberating" corporations from government oversight, or the liberty of having guns.

Just an FYI, but you just misused *BOTH* terms.
Liberalism
Conservatism
Liberals still don't want the individual freedom of bearing arms. I was at least half-right. And conservatives, generally, want to conserve the artificial infrastructure we've established over the natural environment over time, not the original organic environment that has existed for far longer, despite what Wikipedia's definition would imply.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours