Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a new laptop here within the next week or so, but (as some of you may know) I'm a h/c gamer. Not planning on paying too much, but I want to get the most for my money (of course).

I was browsing around and saw some good ones out there for $700-$800, but the reviews suggested the cosmetics were terrible and that the hardware caused major lack and what not.

Anyway, I finally came upon this laptop for only $499. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips. And if I can find this for $499, is it possible to find better specs for a little more? I'm not planning on spending a grand on a laptop, so I'm not expecting an incredible laptop, but still looking for at least a decent laptop that has enough power to run some good games...

Also, needs Windows 7. Just bought a game that I can't play because it requires Windows 7 Rolling Eyes (It was on sale for $5, hahah, so it was a no-brainer to just buy it, since I'm eventually going to have Win7... and it's a game I was hoping to be able to buy Smile )

EDIT:
Bahh!! The laptop I found is Windows Vista Business... not sure how I got that mixed up with Windows 7, but I found it shortly after I woke up, so that might have contributed to it... lol. Still looking Rolling Eyes

EDIT2:
A quick search turned up this. Still awaiting suggestions Razz

EDIT3:
Almost the exact same one... just diff operating systems included and w/e

EDIT4 (lol...):
Better CPU.... but +$100
I've heard pretty good things about the Vostro, partly from Engadget; do you have access to MSDN AA for Windows 7? Or do you qualify for that $30 version? I dunno whether that faster processor is worth it for you, it probably depends mostly on what your budget is.
No I don't have access to MSDN AA, sadly, and no I don't qualify for the $30 version (or I don't think I do... more info on this would be nice).

Also, budget isn't too big of a problem, but I just don't *feel* like spending a lot. I don't need anything amazing. $100 for a better processor is a bit much, but it doesn't mean I can't afford it Wink
Here's the info on the $30 version, but it looks like it expired January 3rd. Sad
http://gizmodo.com/5361767/college-students-get-windows-7-for-30
Bah, well it's all good cause I don't really need to buy it, seeing as either laptop I'm getting will have it. Would be nice to have it on my tower though too, but I'ma end up turning this into a dedicated server if I get a good enough laptop.

Here's the differences between the +$100 version...

Core 2 Duo (2.2GHz) [replaces Pentium Dual Core (2.1GHz)]
Intel GMA 4500MHD On-Board Graphics [replaces Intel GMA 4500M]
100GB more HDD space
2MB L2 Cache [replaces 1MB L2 Cache]
Intel GM45 Chipset [replaces Intel GL40]
Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Professional [replaces Windows 7 Home Premium]
Intel WiFi Link 5100 [replaces "802.11b/g Wireless LAN" (could be the same thing)]
1 x HDMI Port
5-in-1 Card reader (MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Secure Digital Card, xD-Picture Card)

But it almost looks like the $100 doesn't come with the 1yr limited [parts&&labor] warranty like the other one does.

EDIT:
lenovo IdeaPad Y550 sure did catch my eye as well Smile
Core 2 Duo instead of Pentium? Uhhh, yes please.
KermMartian wrote:
Core 2 Duo instead of Pentium? Uhhh, yes please.

A Pentium Dual Core is basically the Core 2 Duo Centrino, not an ancient P4 leftover or anything like that.

@OP:
If you play games avoid Intel's graphics like the plague - they can't do crap outside of render Aero. Also, there aren't any games that require Windows 7, why would you think that?

I'd go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220635

Or pretty much anything from this list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032+1040246846&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=32&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I hate HP, I found this one to be something of interest.

Also, Shattered Horizon requires Vista or 7...
swivelgames wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I hate HP, I found this one to be something of interest.

I linked to the Asus because 1) I like Asus, and 2) Its $100 cheaper (it has a MIR). HP's more recent computers are just fine. I've used 2 of their desktops and 1 of their laptops, no problems.

Quote:
Also, Shattered Horizon requires Vista or 7...

That still isn't a Windows 7 only game Wink
Indeed, I like Asus as well.

I also saw the MIR, and am contemplating whether or not I want to spend the extra $100 for a bigger screen and +.33GHz of processing power and 7 Pro 64-bit... I'm thinking I'm going to want the HP, even though I'm getting closer and closer to $1k, lol...

And yeah, I misread the notice whenever I first opened the game. Never actually read the requirements page until now, seeing as my tower usually handles 90% of the games I buy. UT3 runs on my computer with no problem, and I have a couple other high-end games that work well as well. Oh well... Smile
Oh, and you might want to wait just a bit longer. ATI is releasing their new 5xxx series mobilities cards very soon - the specs for them are already released. I'm not sure if any notebooks use them yet, though.
Was minutes away from buying that HP and now it's Sold Out! Sad

Haven't found a better deal since!

Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz processor, 350GB SATA, 4GB RAM, an ATI 4650, and 7 Pro. Every other laptop I find that comes even close to this doesn't have Pro, or is $150-$200 more then it, or have an Intel GMA. Neutral
So after a shit ton of arm twisting, I finally settled for a low-end MSi laptop because my cap moved from $1k to $650. I went to Fry's and decided I didn't really care anymore and just bought the best I could find for that much. They had a pretty good Toshiba, but the MSi was comparable with .1GHz less of processing power. And the Toshiba was out of stock, lol. Wink

As I bought my new laptop for a price high above competing store's prices (didn't really think atm, kinda just wanted to get out of the store and couldn't really wait for something to ship, seeing as my father was being very sluggish and three laptops I wanted to buy went out of stock before I could buy them, and now school starts in two days), I watched my father walk out the door with the laptop I was looking at the majority of the time. He said it was too expensive for me (this is what happens when your parent's are the only one's with access to your bloated college funds account >.> ) and instead he bought it for himself. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, laptops pretty good, not much better then my 4-5 year old desktop, but I guess it'll do the trick for school. Was kinda hoping to get myself a desktop-replacement / decent-gaming-laptop instead of a netbook with a bigger screen, but eh. I'm a complainer, what can I say? Very Happy
Geez, sounds like your life ain't too fun. Sad Oh well, glad you have a machine that you can use for now. It seems fairly decent if a tad overpriced. Let us know about your experiences with it.
swivelgames wrote:
So after a a ton of arm twisting, I finally settled for a low-end MSi laptop because my cap moved from $1k to $650. I went to Fry's and decided I didn't really care anymore and just bought the best I could find for that much. They had a pretty good Toshiba, but the MSi was comparable with .1GHz less of processing power. And the Toshiba was out of stock, 0x5. Wink

As I bought my new laptop for a price high above competing store's prices (didn't really think atm, kinda just wanted to get out of the store and couldn't really wait for something to ship, seeing as my father was being very sluggish and three laptops I wanted to buy went out of stock before I could buy them, and now school starts in two days), I watched my father walk out the door with the laptop I was looking at the majority of the time. He said it was too expensive for me (this is what happens when your parent's are the only one's with access to your bloated college funds account >.> ) and instead he bought it for himself. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, laptops pretty good, not much better then my 4-5 year old desktop, but I guess it'll do the trick for school. Was kinda hoping to get myself a desktop-replacement / decent-gaming-laptop instead of a netbook with a bigger screen, but eh. I'm a complainer, what can I say? Very Happy

At least you have a college fund Razz

It's a pretty good laptop that you picked out, but you would've been better off buying a laptop online and having it overnighted Wink
Most definitely. I'll just get some money saved up and buy a $1.5k laptop or something that'll last me a while with some good performance Wink

Not sure when that'll be, haha, but it's whatever Razz

I'll settle for this for now. Hope my Dad enjoys my laptop... Bad Idea

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours