john massey wrote:
Thanks for your quick response.

With this:

If 0=≠=⌊OVER1(J //got the syntax error over the ≠

Is there any data you would like from the home screen? Any troubleshooting techniques you can teach me that will bring us to closure?
No no, you misunderstand me, I used the entire three-character string "=/=" to represent the single "≠" character, so that line should in fact be "If 0≠⌊OVER1(J". Sorry for the continued confusion. Smile
Well it started skipping. Which is wonderful news. Then after two problems I have a problem which I must study. This is the first time that I have skipped a problem in three month in the TUB Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
john massey wrote:
Well it started skipping. Which is wonderful news. Then after two problems I have a problem which I must study. This is the first time that I have skipped a problem in three month in the TUB Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Excellent, glad to hear it! So what are your next problems that we can help solve? What was the thing you were describing in the second half of your first post in this topic?
Well I have a number of little programs in REDUE21

Here is one of then.

If 3<⌊JONL4(J // I get an invalid dim error here.
Then
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
{1}→⌊NODUP
End

I measure reaction time as I explained in my long winded post. JONL4 holds the reaction times of all the flash cards. JONL5 holds reaction times that are > 3 seconds which is an error condition. JONL4 goes through the same loop conditions as REDUE21 does. Do you see the solution or may I take data for you?
Will this work? I just applied what you taught me to a related problem. There are other similar variables that are tied together to make ⌊OVER1. They will present themselves with similar error messages and will need to be recoded when they present themselves.

If 0≠⌊JONL4(J
Then
If 3<⌊JONL4(J
Then
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
End
End
The "invalid dim" error means that for whatever J value on which it failed, ⌊JONL4 has fewer than J elements in it. Could you paste the rest of the loop that is around this code:

Code:

If 3<⌊JONL4(J // I get an invalid dim error here.
Then
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
{1}→⌊NODUP
End
I do not know how to "Could you paste the rest of the loop that is around this code: This is just a small program. I do not what code is relevant.

We jumped from the first problem to the third problem. What I interpreted this to mean is it did not know how to deal with the skip, the "0" in the big For( loop. I think things would be fine if we skipped the second "J". With the same technique that that we used for OVER(J). It is late for me, if I do not hear from you by tomorrow morning with changes to my proposed code I will just try it.

I know an old saying "One good test is more valuable the 10 expert opinions. Laughing
The test confirmed that my proposal does not work. I get an invalid dim error at the end of the first line of the proposed code when running REDUE21. On rerunning REDUE21 and exiting. I get {2 3} when checking ⌊JONL4 on the home screen. I do not understand the significance of the fact that there are no "," in the list and there is a " " that is, space in the list.

I hope you know your way out of this. Wink
That's simply the way that the TI-83+ OS displays lists; it uses spaces to delineate values ratehr than commas. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but the check of LJON4(J is inside the For(J,1,dim(LOVER, correct? If that's the case, then by definition LJON4 needs to have at least dim(LOVER) elements to avoid a dimension error.
Yes to answer your question. However it cannot have a long list since it is just the the first time a problem has been skipped and the error occurs on the second problem that is displayed.

Am I clear? Clarity is not one of my better skills. Smile
Will this work?

For(J,1,dim(⌊JONL4
If 3<⌊JONL4(J
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5

For a person with your experience I do not believe that I must explain!
john massey wrote:
Will this work?

For(J,1,dim(⌊JONL4
If 3<⌊JONL4(J
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5

For a person with your experience I do not believe that I must explain!
As long as you tack an "End" at the end of that, you should be ok. Smile Just to make sure, though, can you explain what you're trying to do with the third and last line in the code segment?
JONL4 is the reaction time. If JONL4 >3 seconds That is an error condition for the child who is solving these problems.

That value of J is stored in JONL5 Thus JONL5 might have values of {1,3,5,7,9...

Have I been clear? If not please advise.
More test data. I run REDUE21. The performs the first problem perfectly When I put in the correct answer. The program skips to the next problem. The first time I enter the correct answer I an told that my answer is not correct. the program goes back to the same problem and when I input the correct answer it say correct answer. I assume that there is something wrong with the end of the program. It is as shown.

Code:
End // this the original end
End // this was added and things do not work at all without it
prgmSUMRED21
End

This is SUMRED21:

Code:
If 0=dim(⌊JONL1) and 0=dim(⌊JONL5// after N Recursions of REDUE21 our work is done so we call MOD2
prgmMOD2
If 0=dim(⌊JONL1) In these two cases one or the other of the variables  meets the dim condition
Then
⌊JONL5→⌊OVER1
prgmREDUE21
End
If 0=dim(⌊JONL5)
Then
⌊JONL1→⌊OVER1
prgmREDUE21
End
If 0≠dim(⌊JONL1) and 0≠dim(⌊JONL5  // if both variables have content we sum the two values and get rid of the duplications in the lists where there is an error and a long time at the same J number.
augment(⌊JONL1,⌊JONL5→⌊OVER1
SortA(⌊OVER1
augment({0},⌊OVER1→⌊OVER1
For(A,dim(ΔList(⌊OVER1)),1,–1
ΔList(⌊OVER1
If not(Ans(A
augment(seq(⌊OVER1(J),J,1,A-1),seq(⌊OVER1(J),J,A+1,dim(⌊OVER1→⌊OVER1// Some where along the way I get a memory error here. I am using a TI Nspire. I have 6928 of RAM FREE
End
seq(⌊OVER1(J),J,2,dim(⌊OVER1→⌊OVER1
Output(5,1,"OVR
Output(5,6,⌊OVER1
Pause
ClrHome
prgmREDUE21
End

If you need a REDUE21 dump I can do that too.
I am trying to send you a chart of data to detail what is going on. Your site eats the spaces. I tried putting it in raw and used word and excel. No deal. I hope you have a way out for us.

Wink
john massey wrote:
I am trying to send you a chart of data to detail what is going on. Your site eats the spaces. I tried putting it in raw and used word and excel. No deal. I hope you have a way out for us.

Wink
Just put it inside a [code] block. As a matter of fact, you should put code inside a [code] block too, it makes it easier to read.

Edit: I edited your post above to properly use [code] tags.
I found the bug. Do not know why or how to fix it.

In my initialization program I did this:

ClrList ⌊JONL5
SetUpEditor ⌊JONL5

After running REDUE21 for a while I stopped and I started looking at different variables on the home screen. I did Dim(JONL5 and it returned 22. I did Dim(JONL4 and it returned 12. The Dim for JONL5 should be less than the Dim for JONL4 since it is supposed to index when JONL4 is > 3 seconds. In the test JONL4 held {3 4 4 3 2 3 2 2 2 3 3}
The correct value for JONL5 should be{3 4} because these are the only values that are greater than three seconds. I looked at JONL5. It held
{2 2 3 2 3 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 12}

You remember our little program

For(J,1,dim(⌊JONL4
If 3<⌊JONL4(J
J→⌊JONL5(1+dim(⌊JONL5
End

This certainly is a bug.
Sorry I do not know how to use code tags and code blocks. I can write a detailed Word document explaining in detail what is happening. Please explain in minute detail how to keep from loosing spaces when importing that word document.
Forget my last post. Here is my test report.
Record facts
Ran REDUE21
There are 10 flash cards on a graph screen. They start on the top row with five and read left to right. They number the same on the bottom row. There are always 16 problems. The correct answers are {12,64,16,9,10,3,12,17,7,4,84,7,8,6,1,1} Rather than discussing the problem I will use ANS 12 to refer to the first answer.There are two kinds of messages that are displayed on the 6th line of the graph screen. The first is a congratulation message when the answer is correct. The second is this code
Text(6,0,⌊AN002(J)," NOT ",expr(Str9) . ⌊AN002(J) refers to the correct answer for this particular flash card. expr(Str9) refers to the answer from the child. Let us say that ⌊AN002(J is 12 and that expr(Str9) is 11. On row 6 you should see "12 NOT 11"
In all the flash cards where there is an error the numbers are reversed. I will use short hand when commenting and just print N and the first and second numbers. Like N 64 9 The other thing that happens in this error condition is that another number shows up in another flash card. That is the horizontal graph screen coordinate is wrong. I will report this as RN 3,64. That means that 64 showed up in FC3. You will notice that when you see the data the first number is CN-1. As I review the data I notice that number in the next lower cell is the first number in the NOT statement
I will also refer to the flash cards as FC 1
Normally when I enter the correct number the first time I will get the above conditions. When this happened the problem is repeated a second time in the same location. This time when I input the correct answer I get the congratulation message and the program skips to another location and the process continues. When everything is OK I will print OK

Now for specific data:

Code:
FC1 ANS 12. N64  12 RN2,64 no repeat.
FC3 OK no repeate
FC5 ANS 10 N9 10 RN4,9  // RN first # is cell number second #is # in cell
On repeat OK
FC7 ANS 12 N3 12  RN6,3  // N first#  in NOT message and second # follows
On repeat OK
FC9 ANS 7    N 17 7 RN8,17
On repeat OK
FC11 ANS 84 R4 84 RN9,4
On repeat OK
If you simply put [code] tags around a block of text like this, then the spaces are preserved:

[code]Code
code here too
and more code[/code]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours