Since an important part of my thesis is a mobile, low-power CPU (like the Atom) that is able to perform a large number of floating point operations per second, I was excited when I heard about Intel's new Atom, the N450 "Pinetrail". In my experimentation the FPU in the N270, the processor used in the vast majority of netbooks currently available, is disappointingly weak. Unfortunately, the benchmarks that have been released over the past two days with the official launch of the Pinetrail CPU reveal that the new model shows no significant improvement in terms of floating-point arithmetic tests. The major architectural changes are the integration of the memory controller and graphics controller onto the CPU die, but apparently no significant upgrades in the core units. The relevant page of one of the benchmarks (there are many other pages) here:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Asus-Eee-PC1005PE-Atom-N450-Pinetrail-Platform-Launch/?page=8
KermMartian wrote:
Since an important part of my thesis is a mobile, low-power CPU (like the Atom) that is able to perform a large number of floating point operations per second

That project is dead before it started.

There aren't any high-powered CPUs (like the i7) that can do large number of FLOPS, why would you think you'd ever find a lower power *CPU* that can do that? Low powered CPUs have die size at a premium, spending that on FPUs is a waste. You'll have far better luck with something like ION, if it supports CUDA.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours