I was doing some searching and mibbit fails on the iPod touch and all I can use for irc that doesn't fail (and is a webapp) is efnet's built in one...which is awkward on such a small screen...
So I was wondering if anybody would like to try their hand at developing one that works better then mibbit and isn't as awkward as efnet's.
Why can't you download an app from the app store? LimeChat is a fairly decent one although it costs a few bucks.
Currently I have no money, and I can only use the free ones. The one I have is missing a huge amount of features...I can't do any commands, I can't /MSG, I can only see /me's....yeah it fails...but when I get money I'll probably get it...but for now I would rather use a webapp so I can have all the features
http://cgiirc.org/
Sure it works on the iPod, but there is that one error that is mentioned, and someone has to host it...I would, but I don't have access to my comp ATM (wet carpet) so I can't...
The question still stands, anybody want to make a irc webapp, specifically for the iPod touch
I'm planning on making an IRC app, but for a phone that doesn't suck. Namely, Android. You know, an actual smart phone (which the iPhone isn't). No idea when I'll get around to it, though.

And yes I know you said iPod Touch - but that is even more pointless than the iPhone.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Namely, Android. You know, an actual smart phone (which the iPhone isn't).
Wikipedia wrote:
A smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality (PC-mobile handset convergence). There is no industry standard definition of a smartphone.[1][2] For some, a smartphone is a phone that runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers.[3] For others, a smartphone is simply a phone with advanced features like e-mail, Internet and e-book reader capabilities, and/or a built-in full keyboard or external USB keyboard and VGA connector. In other words, it is a miniature computer that has phone capability.[4][5]
[Source]

Saying the iPhone isn't a smartphone is like saying a compact camera isn't a camera.
Thanks comicIDIOT
and Kllr, I was talking about a webapp, which can be multi-platform, so it's just made for the screensize on an iPod touch. I wasn't talking about an app...
comicIDIOT wrote:
Saying the iPhone isn't a smartphone is like saying a compact camera isn't a camera.

Nope. See, smartphones existed long before the iPhone, and if you compare those phones to the iPhone, you will see that the iPhone is far closer to dumb BREW phones than to smartphones. The definition of smartphones has been dumb downed by the media to try and fit the iPhone under the definition, but it just doesn't work. Its like calling a grape popsicle a fruit - it just isn't.

@Eeems: For IRC to be a webapp it would require a backend server to act as an intermediary between AJAX and IRC. That is dumb and a waste of money.
Kllrnohj wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Nope. See, smartphones existed long before the iPhone, and if you compare those phones to the iPhone, you will see that the iPhone is far closer to dumb BREW phones than to smartphones. The definition of smartphones has been dumb downed by the media to try and fit the iPhone under the definition, but it just doesn't work. Its like calling a grape popsicle a fruit - it just isn't.

@Eeems: For IRC to be a webapp it would require a backend server to act as an intermediary between AJAX and IRC. That is dumb and a waste of money.

To think there are at least 10 decent free IRC apps for Windows Mobile, not to mention the many Linux IRC clients that would run on most Linux based smart phones. One of the Windows Mobile ones was even written my ticalc.org's own Micheal_V.
Meh....it's probably because it costs too much to become an apple developer...
Eeems wrote:
Meh....it's probably because it costs too much to become an apple developer...

Its more because Windows Mobile, and its predecessor Windows CE has existed for much longer than the iPhone/iPod Touch have and Linux has existed for much longer. Though the fact that one has to pay $99 to be able to have users install your software.
TheStorm wrote:
Eeems wrote:
Though the fact that one has to pay $99 to be able to have users install your software.

What about this fact?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
Eeems wrote:
Though the fact that one has to pay $99 to be able to have users install your software.

What about this fact?

That it costs a lot be an apple developer, or something, I was pretty tired when I wrote that post.
Eeems wrote:
Sure it works on the iPod, but there is that one error that is mentioned, and someone has to host it...I would, but I don't have access to my comp ATM (wet carpet) so I can't...
The question still stands, anybody want to make a irc webapp, specifically for the iPod touch

I might be able to host, if this is still needed.
Yeah that would be nice, of course we would still need some code to host then...
Eeems wrote:
Yeah that would be nice, of course we would still need some code to host then...

That was the CGIIRC I thought, though I might look at a few others
True, but it doesn't work too well with my iPod...it's still way to large of a page, so I have to do a lot of scrolling...unless there are ways to change that.
Eeems wrote:
True, but it doesn't work too well with my iPod...it's still way to large of a page, so I have to do a lot of scrolling...unless there are ways to change that.

The site says it works on iPhone, if you download a copy and modify the profile for mobile I might be able to host it as an option.
Ah ok, hopefully you can.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours