Kllrnohj wrote:

Why is Christ-spoken passages now the deciding element? The Catholic Church still deals in the Old Testament as well, which is way easier to target.

both the new testament and the old testament should be taken into account, by targeting only one part your argument only applies to that testament not the Bible as a whole since the bible is basically two parts.
Out of interest, while you are on this roll, sell a head off Mount Rushmore, Statue of Liberty island and the Library of Congress, The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and every other culturally linked creation occupying space. Destroy culture and opt for a Orwellian future of monotony.
Its ridiculous, and fanciful to speculate on selling things with such huge significance to so many, and entirely not feasible.

And I can bet top dollar you probably wouldn't want to see all American relics sold either.

As said before, last time I checked USA has the dole to support the unemployed and unpaid. Somalia, Cambodia and all these other poor places sure as hell don't. I know which I consider the more serious situation, and that in undeniable.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Out of interest, while you are on this roll, sell a head off Mount Rushmore, Statue of Liberty island and the Library of Congress, The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and every other culturally linked creation occupying space. Destroy culture and opt for a Orwellian future of monotony.
Its ridiculous, and fanciful to speculate on selling things with such huge significance to so many, and entirely not feasible.

The "owners" of those structures don't preach to live humbly, sell your possessions, and feed the hungry, now do they?

Yet another pathetic attempt at a rebuttal by elrunethe2nd, yay! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
As said before, last time I checked USA has the dole to support the unemployed and unpaid. Somalia, Cambodia and all these other poor places sure as hell don't. I know which I consider the more serious situation, and that in undeniable.

Uh, just an FYI, but the Vatican isn't in the USA nor owned by the USA nor in any way linked to the USA.
elfprince13 wrote:
Remember that in America, Christians give more to charity than any other demographic. I hate to toot my own horn, but our family was audited by the IRS a few years ago because they were pissed at how much we were giving to charity.
Just thought I'd point out that in America, there's also more Christians than any other individual religious demographic. Statistics fail? Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

Uh, just an FYI, but the Vatican isn't in the USA nor owned by the USA nor in any way linked to the USA.
You are aware elrune acknowledges this, right? His example in your first quote he states that if we - as a human race not a nation - sell the Vatican and it's possessions, why not sell a head from Rushmore, Eiffel tower, etc.

The last quote of his is saying that the USA doesn't need to sell it's popular attractions because it has the ability to pay the unemployed/unpaid while third world countries cannot, not that the USA owns or in any way tied to the Vatican.

No where in his post is he tying the Vatican to the States.

--
Edited the first paragraph for clarity.
ComicIDIOT probably summed that up better than I could have there. So thanks to him.

Also;
Quote:
Yet another pathetic attempt at a rebuttal by elrunethe2nd, yay!

I leave your [redacted] out of my arguments, so kindly remain a degree of objectivity and non-personal comments in yours also.
Especially when a few of your arguments or as Wikipedia could call them "Sweeping Statements" got rebutted quite well.
comicIDIOT wrote:
You are aware elrune acknowledges this, right? His example in your first quote he states that if we - as a human race not a nation - sell the Vatican and it's possessions, why not sell a head from Rushmore, Eiffel tower, etc.

Yes, I was aware of his statement, I was pointing out that it is *wrong*. The point of the video is that the CATHOLIC CHURCH, which preaches to live humbly, is not doing so. It says nothing of the human race NOR of any specific nation. So again, logic fail, yay!

Your name is quite fitting, by the way.

Quote:
The last quote of his is saying that the USA doesn't need to sell it's popular attractions because it has the ability to pay the unemployed/unpaid while third world countries cannot, not that the USA owns or in any way tied to the Vatican.

Uh, no. Apparently neither of you understand how unemployment benefits work in the USA.

elrunethe2nd wrote:
I leave your [redacted] out of my arguments, so kindly remain a degree of objectivity and non-personal comments in yours also.

Wow, clever, think that up on your own?

Quote:
Especially when a few of your arguments or as Wikipedia could call them "Sweeping Statements" got rebutted quite well.

No they weren't.
He he he.

You just admitted you HAVE unemployment benefits.
Which, of course, your country does.

Quote:
has the ability to pay the unemployed/unpaid while third world countries cannot

Ability doesn't imply that it does, although it should. Given the size and relative prosperity levels of USA to other countries.

Quote:

No they weren't.

Your sweeping statement that all wars were caused by religion was a falsehood in the entirety.
I disproved it with the two greatest wars known to man.
Kllrnohj wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yes, I was aware of his statement, I was pointing out that it is *wrong*. The point of the video is that the CATHOLIC CHURCH, which preaches to live humbly, is not doing so. It says nothing of the human race NOR of any specific nation. So again, logic fail, yay!

wait so according to you only the catholic church can be hypocritical
This thread is being edited for post-facto civility. I'll make my intelligent reply when I'm done with that.
elfprince13 wrote:
This thread is being edited for post-facto civility. I'll make my intelligent reply when I'm done with that.

No, you're abusing your admin powers defending your religion.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
He he he.

You just admitted you HAVE unemployment benefits.
Which, of course, your country does.

Uh, yes? Its also entirely irrelevant to this thread... Not sure why you are laughing like you actually pulled off a win of sort - because, of course, you haven't.

GloryMXE7 wrote:
wait so according to you only the catholic church can be hypocritical

Are you capable of reading comprehension in any form whatsoever?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

No, you're abusing your admin powers defending your religion.

Mostly I deleted pictures of mutilated people, and unnecessary use of the term "faggot"

magicdanw wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Remember that in America, Christians give more to charity than any other demographic. I hate to toot my own horn, but our family was audited by the IRS a few years ago because they were pissed at how much we were giving to charity.
Just thought I'd point out that in America, there's also more Christians than any other individual religious demographic. Statistics fail? Wink

That was intended to be a per-capita average.

elrunethe2nd wrote:
Your sweeping statement that all wars were caused by religion was a falsehood in the entirety.
I disproved it with the two greatest wars known to man.

It's worth noting that more Christians (45.5 million) were killed for their faith in the 20th century than in the previous 19 centuries combined (about 65% of the total), and the majority of these were killed at the hands of atheist regimes.

Quote:
"Good" is letting others live their lives, "evil" is forcing harmful (mental or physical) actions upon them.

Why? What is the importance of a human life that it's even relevant whether you let someone live it un-interfered, or force harmful actions upon them? If you're just a meat sack, or a shambling pile of molecules, I have no basis for caring what happens to you, or what I do to you, other than whether or not it might have a negative impact on myself.

Quote:
As for saving people, who says they are un-evolutionary

Survival of the fittest, or most adaptable. If your mutations aren't working out, we don't need you to pass those genes along. If you get in a car accident, you we were probably too stupid to be driving a car, or your reflexes were too poor to avoid it, and we'll be better off having someone else pass on their genes instead. Darwin awards carried to the natural conclusion. Improving the human race by removing yourself form it.

Quote:
None? Embryonic stem cells isn't the only issue (but I'm for it). Things like cloning and other research (which doesn't cost any lives) is also staunchly opposed by the church.

Cloning tends to raise the same issues as embryonic stem cell research, since, as far as I'm aware, cloning requires an embryo. I'm not sure what "other research" you're referring to though.

Quote:
There are other potential points. For example, when blood flows through the embryo's veins (which was one of the church's old markers for when life begins, by the way).

Fair enough, but again, we don't know, and if you believe in the sanctity of human life, why gamble when there are other sources?

Quote:
To me, the difference is intent. If an embryo is fertilized and allowed to grow with the intent of being killed in a week, then I'm cool with it. I don't see it as killing life at all - no more than we consider killing bacteria killing life.

The highway to hell is paved with good intentions Wink (for the record, not quoting that as serious theology, but as a general principle)

kllrnohj wrote:
Why is Christ-spoken passages now the deciding element? The Catholic Church still deals in the Old Testament as well, which is way easier to target.

Wink Because that's what I challenged you to do, and because it's teachings of Christ that I'm interested in.
elfprince13 wrote:
Why? What is the importance of a human life that it's even relevant whether you let someone live it un-interfered, or force harmful actions upon them? If you're just a meat sack, or a shambling pile of molecules, I have no basis for caring what happens to you, or what I do to you, other than whether or not it might have a negative impact on myself.

Why? Simple. Survival of the species Wink

Quote:
Survival of the fittest, or most adaptable. If your mutations aren't working out, we don't need you to pass those genes along. If you get in a car accident, you we were probably too stupid to be driving a car, or your reflexes were too poor to avoid it, and we'll be better off having someone else pass on their genes instead. Darwin awards carried to the natural conclusion. Improving the human race by removing yourself form it.

I'm going to ram a semi through your house while you are sleeping, seriously injuring you, and then shrug it off saying you weren't tough enough.

Quote:
Cloning tends to raise the same issues as embryonic stem cell research, since, as far as I'm aware, cloning requires an embryo. I'm not sure what "other research" you're referring to though.

If you are cloning an entire person, you do need an embryo, but you aren't killing it, and thus doesn't have the same moral objections of embryonic stem cell.

Quote:
Fair enough, but again, we don't know, and if you believe in the sanctity of human life, why gamble when there are other sources?

Me > them. Smile

Quote:
The highway to hell is paved with good intentions Wink (for the record, not quoting that as serious theology, but as a general principle)

Yes, but it is a far cry from harvesting stem cells to preserve life to going around kicking puppies. Just saying.

Quote:
Wink Because that's what I challenged you to do, and because it's teachings of Christ that I'm interested in.

And I just like making fun of your beliefs. Hence why these always go in circles.
Quote:
And I just like making fun of your beliefs.

I'm not Catholic myself, but I like to think there's more to life than cynicism and criticality of others.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Why? Simple. Survival of the species Wink

Me > them. Smile

The species will do just fine, regardless of what I do (that doesn't involve launching a nuclear firestorm). Morality governs the relationship between individuals, and my point is exactly what you end up saying later in your post. Morality from your definition is now based entirely on what serves your own needs (does it help me? can I be amused by this without negative consequence?), and everything else is secondary.

Quote:
I'm going to ram a semi through your house while you are sleeping, seriously injuring you, and then shrug it off saying you weren't tough enough.

And why would that have any moral consequence if you think you can do that without being caught? Why should anyone care? You're not rebutting my point, you're illustrating it.

Quote:
If you are cloning an entire person, you do need an embryo, but you aren't killing it, and thus doesn't have the same moral objections of embryonic stem cell.

Research into cloning is usually for therapeutic purposes which doesn't involve letting the embryo grow into adulthood.

Quote:

And I just like making fun of your beliefs. Hence why these always go in circles.

And with that out in the open, you've admitted that this thread serves no further intellectual purpose, and indeed has served no purpose other than a big trolling attempt. I guess it doesn't really need to stay open. No crocodile tears from you about freedom of expression, or how I'm just being defensive about my religion. You've made it clear that you have no interest in either, and further complaints from you in this arena aren't going to be taken seriously.
You may disagree with elrunethe2nd, and he may be trolling, but I believe the other members were trying to hold a halfway-intelligent conversation, so I have unlocked this. If you disagree, feel free to relock.
elfprince13 wrote:
The species will do just fine, regardless of what I do (that doesn't involve launching a nuclear firestorm). Morality governs the relationship between individuals, and my point is exactly what you end up saying later in your post. Morality from your definition is now based entirely on what serves your own needs (does it help me? can I be amused by this without negative consequence?), and everything else is secondary.

Yes, but helping the species does help me. Improving modern medicine has the potential to help ME. "Morality" helps ME (by keeping other people from doing "evil" unto ME).

Religion can easily be seen as equally selfish. Your help others because you believe in a heaven and hell and want to save *YOURSELF*. All forms of good deeds can easily be seen as selfish.

Quote:
And why would that have any moral consequence if you think you can do that without being caught? Why should anyone care? You're not rebutting my point, you're illustrating it.

It wouldn't. I was disputing your claim that someone being seriously injured is somehow their fault and/or an evolutionary defect. If someone crashes into me, you can be certain that I would happily murder embryos if it kept me alive.

Quote:
Research into cloning is usually for therapeutic purposes which doesn't involve letting the embryo grow into adulthood.

True, but the cells also stay alive in whatever animal they are placed. Thus life is not ended, but instead merges with another life.

Quote:
And with that out in the open, you've admitted that this thread serves no further intellectual purpose, and indeed has served no purpose other than a big trolling attempt. I guess it doesn't really need to stay open. No crocodile tears from you about freedom of expression, or how I'm just being defensive about my religion. You've made it clear that you have no interest in either, and further complaints from you in this arena aren't going to be taken seriously.

Still serves an intellectual purpose, just one that will never come to any form of a conclusion.

Also, why would you think that locking a thread would stop me from responding?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Your help others because you believe in a heaven and hell and want to save *YOURSELF*.
And others.
Quote:
Religion can easily be seen as equally selfish. Your help others because you believe in a heaven and hell and want to save *YOURSELF*. All forms of good deeds can easily be seen as selfish.

Also, because a personal relationship with the omnipotent and loving creator of the universe can have benefits in this life, and it's nice to share those with people. Also, if someone is willing to suffer death to save your life its a bit of a slap in the face to have that knowledge and ignore it. Showing respect to other human beings becomes a matter of showing respect for their creator.

Kllrnohj wrote:
"Morality" helps ME (by keeping other people from doing "evil" unto ME).

Quote:
It wouldn't.

This is the only point I really cared about. Why are you in here debating someone else's moral principles when your own consist of "I'll do whatever pleases me, as long as I think I can do it without getting in trouble" ? Something about throwing around terms like "clearly evil" strikes me as hypocrisy in this case.

Quote:
True, but the cells also stay alive in whatever animal they are placed. Thus life is not ended, but instead merges with another life.

that's honestly one of the few reasonable arguments I've heard on the subject, but doesn't really convince me to move beyond "err on the side of caution"

Quote:
Still serves an intellectual purpose, just one that will never come to any form of a conclusion.

If you describe self entertainment as "intellectual purpose"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours