Does anyone know of a PHP or Rails implementation of a version control server for code? I have looked for a subversion implementation in PHP but I could only find one project and it never had any activity. Because of my lack of results I figured I would broaden my search and ask for help at the same time, I am looking for this so that I can run the server on my shared hosting to make it web accessible. I want to put some stuff out on it but I want it more for my own private code that I want to be able to version that is not public yet and may never be public for some of it. Does anyone know anything up for the task?

Thanks.
I don't know of any, but what is wrong with the numerous free source control sites out there? You know, sourceforge, google code, etc...?

You have this weird obsession of trying to do everything yourself, when others have already done it better. If you can't host subversion or git, use a different server.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I don't know of any, but what is wrong with the numerous free source control sites out there? You know, sourceforge, google code, etc...?

You have this weird obsession of trying to do everything yourself, when others have already done it better. If you can't host subversion or git, use a different server.

The problem lies with the limited access I want for it, both sf and Google code are for open source, some of what I want to put on it is not intended to be open source and I also like having control over my data, for the little I have open sourced I have used sf.net. A lot of this is just stuff for me that I want version control on not public stuff so I need to either find a free service that will do this or host my own, I don't know of any of the former and I assume there is some way to do the latter so I went with it.
I would imagine that the standard svn/cvs packages for every linux distribution would be up to any tasks of versioning and code sharing that may be necessary for your purposes, no? Do they lack one or more of your specs?
KermMartian wrote:
I would imagine that the standard svn/cvs packages for every linux distribution would be up to any tasks of versioning and code sharing that may be necessary for your purposes, no? Do they lack one or more of your specs?
They meet most but they do fall short in one area, I have shared hosting that does not allow daemons so I can not leave them running to access them and I think there is some way to use cvs over ssh but I don't have ssh at the moment, I think I can pay more to get it but I try to look for a free way first.
SVN's HTTP interface is based on WebDAV, and there is a PHP implementation of it that works quite nicely. However, SVN uses the DeltaV extensions on top of WebDAV that I have not yet found a working PHP implementation of.

If you have a machine that you can run your own software on, just execute svnserve and Robert's your father's brother.

You may be better off using a distributed source control system like Git.
benryves wrote:
SVN's HTTP interface is based on WebDAV, and there is a PHP implementation of it that works quite nicely. However, SVN uses the DeltaV extensions on top of WebDAV that I have not yet found a working PHP implementation of.

If you have a machine that you can run your own software on, just execute svnserve and Robert's your father's brother.

You may be better off using a distributed source control system like Git.

I don't really care what protocol it uses as long as I can find an OSX gui, I have a computer that I could run it on but it is not able to be an internet host for it which I am hoping for, I sometimes need to work on computers other than my laptop that I will want this on so running it on my laptop solves only part of the problem. I think I may have found a solution but it is a bit of a pain and patchwork, first use my file manager or ftp to update the copy on my server, then run the php version control system on the now local file to do the versioning.
Glenn wrote:
They meet most but they do fall short in one area, I have shared hosting that does not allow daemons so I can not leave them running to access them and I think there is some way to use cvs over ssh but I don't have ssh at the moment, I think I can pay more to get it but I try to look for a free way first.

CVS and SVN over SSH doesn't solve your problem. You still need to actually have CVS or SVN *running* for that to work. Same for WebDAV.

There isn't a PHP source control afaik, because sane people use git or svn.

Use assembla if it must be closed source.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Glenn wrote:

CVS and SVN over SSH doesn't solve your problem. You still need to actually have CVS or SVN *running* for that to work. Same for WebDAV.

There isn't a PHP source control afaik, because sane people use git or svn.

Use assembla if it must be closed source.

Sorry about the delay but I lost track of this topic, it is now a non issue though because due to some issues I switched web hosts and my new one offers svn. Also I did in fact find a php source control system so they do exist just not commonly used.
Glad to hear that you got it resolved. What are some examples of these? Also, what was the resolution about the microblogging project?
KermMartian wrote:
Glad to hear that you got it resolved. What are some examples of these? Also, what was the resolution about the microblogging project?

What are you asking for examples of? my projects? The microblog seems to not have community interest so it most likely will not happen. It would still be fairly easy to set up for most of the features, a few seem to be giving me trouble on the other one I set up for a different community but it is very doable. The odd thing is the features giving me trouble were not giving me trouble before I switched hosts and versions of the software. Kerm, while it seems like it will not happen due to lack of interest how hard would it be to add a twitter like api client or xmpp client to SAX, that could in theory interface it in so that it would get the firehose of messages if connected always and allow SAX messages to be posted either together or into that users area depending on implementation.

In one of my repositories I plan to create a set of functions that I might reuse taken from my other coding projects and I wondered if anyone had a good idea for how to organize such a thing, I assume first by language but then what? I imagine that this is a fairly common thing and that some of you might do this already.

Thanks
I meant examples of PHP source control libraries or applications. And regarding your SAX idea, that's certainly very easy and very doable given the new database-backed architecture; what exactly did you have in mind?
KermMartian wrote:
I meant examples of PHP source control libraries or applications. And regarding your SAX idea, that's certainly very easy and very doable given the new database-backed architecture; what exactly did you have in mind?

asvcs is one. The thing I had in mind would only work if I there is interest in the microblog and I got xmpp working on it which I am just looking into for something else, the idea would be to give SAX an account where SAX posts would go through one of the interfaces which include an API and xmpp so that all SAX would be cross posted and it would be possible to send all posts from the site to an xmpp user so that SAX could get the firehose of posts from there so that it integrates the two different short messaging systems.
Ah, I understand. Actually, there's significant impetus within Cemetech and #cemetech to make SAX tweet posts and topics, so I might well implement that some time in the near future, which would make your idea even easier.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, I understand. Actually, there's significant impetus within Cemetech and #cemetech to make SAX tweet posts and topics, so I might well implement that some time in the near future, which would make your idea even easier.

Cool, also if this started ans became reliable it could be a path to twitter, this software could act as a bridge to twitter to lower the work on SAX.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours