Here are a couple of cool things I found while searching for tutorials on making logos and other things related to web design. I am particularly fond of the logo and button creator because I am not skilled with gimp. I did include a few tutorials on creating logos using the gimp though.

Generators
CoolText
RushTide
FlamingText

Tutorials
http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/company-logo-bezier.html
http://gimp-tutorials.net/prologo_withgimp
http://gimp-tutorials.net/node/91
http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Gimp/Web-Graphics/1
I do love the Segoe family of fonts for making logos, as that first tutorial suggests. I do mostly highly discourage the use of the FlamingText website, nothing says 1995 more than those animated GIFs. Razz
Reminds me of GRSites.com

Although, they have a nice font library Smile
swivelgames wrote:
Reminds me of GRSites.com

Although, they have a nice font library Smile
I'm somewhat impressed with how many different options they offer on the image creation pages such as the button creator one, but I am a little saddened by the target audience (ie, people using a WYSIWYG editor that don't really have any clue about graphics design)/
KermMartian wrote:
[...]but I am a little saddened by the target audience (ie, people using a WYSIWYG editor that don't really have any clue about graphics design)/
Exactly Wink

I used to use that site a bunch! Laughing

Never used a WYSIWYG though. Never have, never will. I go there every once in a while now, for fonts. Although, some look way too identical Wink
Way, way, way back in the day I used Homestead's WYSIWYG editor to create the very first Cemetech. I believe I also stared at Frontpage's source code for tables to attempt to understand how to mark them up in HTML, then quickly realized that was futile and learned the correct way.
I don't remember ever using a WYSIWYG, not including the times I was forced by my web-dev teacher to use Dreamweaver until she finally snapped and let me go the rest of the year using notepad Laughing

That was a fun class and actually made me consider becoming a teacher at one point, seeing as my teacher just sat back and watched me teach the class since she really had no clue what she was doing Rolling Eyes

She'd try writing the source on the white-board... Which was always failtastic because she didn't even know how to write the source in the first place and it always took her three minutes to write a variable declaration in JavaScript. Laughing

I digress Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Way, way, way back in the day I used Homestead's WYSIWYG editor to create the very first Cemetech. I believe I also stared at Frontpage's source code for tables to attempt to understand how to mark them up in HTML, then quickly realized that was futile and learned the correct way.
If this really was "back in the day" then tables probably were the correct way. Tables still are the correct way in some instances, sadly; ever seen what most email clients do to well-formed HTML email? Smile
Sorry, let me clarify: by "the correct way" I mean "I looked on the internet how to use tables". I meant that Frontpage writes the most horribly disgustingly bloated HTML on the face of the earth, stuff that is completely incomprehensible even to a skilled HTML coder without a 3-hour analysis. Razz
Dreamweaver FTW! Very Happy
I liked the split-pane view where I could edit the code and see how it looked simultaneously Razz
I hated every minute I was forced against my will to use it Neutral
It is the same way in my web design class. They are enforcing dreamweaver on everyone because it is "so much easier", and "could you imagine having to type all this code by hand". By the time they finish moving back and forth from the mouse and keyboard I could have the page practically finished.

And I also hate how the images are geared towards wysiwyg editors although I don't really need to copy and paste all the code, im just after the images Smile
I don't know what one I used, but I used one of the grahics creators to make the base of the top pic in my sig.

Edit: It was CoolText

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours