Good Idea?
Yes
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
 33%  [ 1 ]
Would need more details
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Does anyone here use a micro blogging service? I think that a tech people centered micro blog could be very interesting and useful for quick little messages or to do a quick mention of a link on a forum to others if you really like it. I was thinking about starting one but I wasn't sure if I was the only one interested and therefor that it wouldn't be a viable idea. The idea is kind of like what I have heard many people think Twitter used to be and they liked with mostly techie people on it.
http://www.twitter.com is that way ---->
alex10819 wrote:

I know where twitter is and am a member for some odd reasons but I had meant our own little Twitter like system that could however interface with Twitter and Facebook if the user was so inclined. I have set one up for my school and I would need to iron out a few details to run a second one that I am still finishing ironing out in the beta for my school but I think it could provide a new useful system to the community. I think it might also be able to interface to SAX with a little work which would be useful.
Glenn wrote:
alex10819 wrote:

I know where twitter is and am a member for some odd reasons but I had meant our own little Twitter like system that could however interface with Twitter and Facebook if the user was so inclined. I have set one up for my school and I would need to iron out a few details to run a second one that I am still finishing ironing out in the beta for my school but I think it could provide a new useful system to the community. I think it might also be able to interface to SAX with a little work which would be useful.
I'm always up for a SAX interface. Once upon a time I wanted to make SAX tweet the new/posted topics on Cemetech, I might still want to do that one day.
KermMartian wrote:
Glenn wrote:
alex10819 wrote:

I'm always up for a SAX interface. Once upon a time I wanted to make SAX tweet the new/posted topics on Cemetech, I might still want to do that one day.
Twitter recently changed their policy on bots and they're cracking down on them. Twitter is suppose to be a human network, not a bot network. Unless you can make Cemetech sound human rather than constantly tweet about posts your idea is grounded Sad
comicIDIOT wrote:
Twitter recently changed their policy on bots and they're cracking down on them. Twitter is suppose to be a human network, not a bot network. Unless you can make Cemetech sound human rather than constantly tweet about posts your idea is grounded Sad

Actually, if it's an RSS-type twitter account, I'm pretty sure it's still okay. After all, PopSci and PopMech still have functioning Twitter accounts. Same with several other news/article sites.
KeithJohansen wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Actually, if it's an RSS-type twitter account, I'm pretty sure it's still okay. After all, PopSci and PopMech still have functioning Twitter accounts. Same with several other news/article sites.
I know for a fact PopSci is ran by a human. RSS-Type accounts would probably be deleted, as they take information from an RSS feed then post it on Twitter and it would take some sort of bot to do that.
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Glenn wrote:
alex10819 wrote:

I think it would be possible to make sax only post human posts but I don't know for sure how easy that would be, Kerm? I also wasn't thinking SAX to twitter anyway but SAX to this system though once in this system it could be cross posted to Twitter through the API by the offline portion designed for that among other things. Is anyone good at translating shell scripting into some language I can run on windows without a VM, I currently run them in a VM but it keeps pausing itself which kills a lot of features until it is brought back up. Kerm, how would it be easier for SAX to post, a Twitter like API or via email?
Uh, what? You wrote this in BASH?

But I agree with the general consensus of this servers no purpose whatsoever and is already done (better) by other sites.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Uh, what? You wrote this in BASH?

But I agree with the general consensus of this servers no purpose whatsoever and is already done (better) by other sites.

No No No, I didn't write this it is open source software and the script that calls some php stuff for the offline daemons is in bash, almost all of the code is in php. The idea also wasn't to replace other sites but to offer an option for our own community that could interact with the others, there are other tech phpbb forums aren't there and yet some people even use multiple, this has a "bidirectional Twitter bridge" that allows your tweets onto it and your posts there onto twitter. This is a relatively recent open source project (just like the whole idea of a microblog) and offers a wide variety of features some of which I believe Twitter does not offer such as post via email. I think this feature has been taken out but originally part of the idea behind the project was a network of interoperable networks where I could follow you on your network and you on mine without being members of both. This system offers integration with many existing platforms including SMS, Twitter, Facebook, and XMPP. It also offers RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, and FOAF output. I think it is a very useful platform and could offer a lot to the community.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours