Just upgraded my computer, and this thing is awesome.

I bought:

Asus P6TD Deluxe X58 Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131403
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
Intel Core i7 920: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 3x2GB RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145250
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
Noctua NT-H1 TIM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008

And wow this thing is a beast. First off, the case is fantastic. It is very, very quiet and moves a ton of air. 5 hours into Prim95 test of the i7 @ 3.6ghz (or ~300 mhz faster than the $1000 i7-975 Extreme Edition) the motherboard temp is holding rock solid at 35C. There is tons of room in this case and cable management is a dream. Only two complains. 1) the cutout in the motherboard tray doesn't line up with the back of my motherboard. It needs to be about an inch lower - nothing a dremmel couldn't solve, but I'm not going to bother. 2) I had several motherboard mounts that had screw holes larger than the screws, meaning the screw just fell in and didn't actually tighten. Never had that before. Fortunately I had more than enough standoffs to find some decent ones, but kind of a crappy problem to encounter after I've screwed half the motherboard down :/

The i7, however, is a furnace, wow does it pump out the heat. It is hovering around ~80C according to Real Temp (at stock speeds it was at ~60C load) - this is without a voltage bump. Windows booted just fine at 3.8ghz, but the heat proved too much for the HSF and the i7 ended up throttling itself.

The RAM is, of course, what you'd expect from Corsair's XMS series. I haven't really pushed it yet, but its running at 720 mhz with no issues whatsoever. Hasn't even needed a voltage bump.

I'm itching to fire up Supreme Commander (which used to horrible things to my old X2) once I'm sure its stable (so tomorrow afternoon, lol)

EDIT: I'll of course post some pics later on, got to charge my camera batteries first, though
Just finished painting my case with vinyl dye a few hours ago; this stuff is *WAY* better than spraypaint for painting plastics.
Nice machine, I built a similar setup for someone as a CAD workstation a little while ago. What graphics card did you put in that thing?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Just finished painting my case with vinyl dye a few hours ago; this stuff is *WAY* better than spraypaint for painting plastics.

It would seem your camera isn't any good, though Razz

So after 5 hours of prime95 torture testing my computer suddenly turned off. I do believe my old Antec 550w isn't quite up to the challenge of powering my new rig. It definitely won't be happy with me eying the new 5870. Looks like I'll be buying a new PSU this week - in the meantime I'm calling 3.6ghz stable.

Also, if anyone is interested in any of the following, shoot me a PM. Not sure what I'll charge for it yet, so make an offer:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi (wifi works in Linux as well)
Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition (stable at 3ghz @ stock voltage)
Thermaltake V1 HSF
Antec SuperLanboy case (all aluminum, very very light)
4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
(soon) Antec NeoHE 550w

Quote:
Nice machine, I built a similar setup for someone as a CAD workstation a little while ago. What graphics card did you put in that thing?

I kept my ATI 4850 for now. No point in upgrading that since brand new cards are released on Tuesday Smile
so, how much total did this machine set you back, and would you make any changes now that you see how it came together (I am looking to build a desktop in the near future)
rivereye wrote:
so, how much total did this machine set you back, and would you make any changes now that you see how it came together (I am looking to build a desktop in the near future)

$900, give or take. But remember I was upgrading and not doing a complete build. So far everything is great except maybe the HSF, but that was expected. It works well enough (I probably need to reseat it given its less than stellar performance that it should be doing - I think I was too skimpy on the TIM), but I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to drop $100 on a high end air cooling setup or spend $200 on a decent water cooling kit. I'll probably do the later at some point, hence the $30 "cheap" HSF.

The case is phenomenal for its $140 price if the looks don't bother you. They have kind of grown on me, but when I first saw it I immediately disregarded it based on looks. It does look better in person than the pictures would indicate, BUT it certainly isn't the best looking case in its price range. On the other hand, it has 200+ CFM of air intake (and nearly as much in exhaust) at 19 dB - its a freaking wind tunnel that is very very quiet. Loads of space, pretty good screwless design, and good cable management.

(the loose SATA cables are for my other 2 drives - keeps Vista from getting confused while I was installing since the linux drive is marked bootable as well)

As you can see, tons of room and I should mention I really spent only a minimal amount of time routing cables. Oh, and if you would rather than PSU can be mounted at the top instead, but that will eliminate one of the 240mm fans. Also, given that most of the top of the case has an exhaust fan, you can't use your case as an impromptu shelf.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Quote:

I kept my ATI 4850 for now. No point in upgrading that since brand new cards are released on Tuesday Smile

I've been thinking about getting another 4850 to do a crossfire setup but I don't think I do enough gaming for it to be worth it, not to mention that DX11 cards will be coming out pretty soon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours