Absolutely, mapping/artwork/interface
 28%  [ 12 ]
No, but I look forward to playing
 45%  [ 19 ]
I have no interest in this
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

KermMartian wrote:
Nice castle there, elfprince, I like how this map is looking. It's inspiring more and more that I want to work on a map or two of my own. Smile

That would be great Very Happy
Indeed, we could really use all the help we can get in making new content. Make maps, particles (eh-hem), terrains (!!), interiors (!!), decals, anything. We are trying to get new art in the game.
On that note, I actually have a bunch of classic Lego faces that I'm lifting from instruction manuals for use in my medieval pack.
Dear god I wish I were good at using the ingame terrain editor.

Say, are we still limited to terrain data that is 256 by 256 units in size? It's kinda hard to make decent heightmaps with that small of an area to work with...
GreyMario wrote:
Dear god I wish I were good at using the ingame terrain editor.

Say, are we still limited to terrain data that is 256 by 256 units in size? It's kinda hard to make decent heightmaps with that small of an area to work with...

Hmmmm, I haven't really played with any height-mapping, but I think you can change the square size.
Heightmapping requires a grayscale bitmap that is exactly 256 by 256 pixels in size, which maps one to one to each modifiable point on the terrain.

I want to know if you guys have been able to increase this size at all. Decreasing the square size will just make it repeat more often, I believe.
GreyMario wrote:
Heightmapping requires a grayscale bitmap that is exactly 256 by 256 pixels in size, which maps one to one to each modifiable point on the terrain.

I want to know if you guys have been able to increase this size at all. Decreasing the square size will just make it repeat more often, I believe.

I think it increases the texture density too.

also, the in-game editor is really nice once you understand it.
Last I checked the in-game terrain editor had this really nasty habit of not always keeping the painting brush in the same spot - it returned to approximately 0,0 sporadically resulting in much annoyance.
GreyMario wrote:
Last I checked the in-game terrain editor had this really nasty habit of not always keeping the painting brush in the same spot - it returned to approximately 0,0 sporadically resulting in much annoyance.
Oh yeah, I remember that thing being a huge pain with regards to that, and somewhat illogical in suddenly moving the brush several grid units away if a hill got in front of the camera.
GreyMario wrote:

That happens to me too on occasion, being a dang pain-in-the-behind.
I've made a couple maps myself but I've never had that problem. Confused
CyberPrime wrote:
Indeed, we could really use all the help we can get in making new content. Make maps, particles (eh-hem), terrains (!!), interiors (!!), decals, anything. We are trying to get new art in the game.

What graphics could you use, I might be able to make a few in either GIMP or more likely Photoshop elements.
Glenn wrote:
CyberPrime wrote:

What graphics could you use, I might be able to make a few in either GIMP or more likely Photoshop elements.

Variously themed Lego-like decals would be great. 512x512 or 256x256 would be great.

I still want to be wary of using too much LEGO content for fear of them getting worked up; it would be best if we had original content as much as possible.
KermMartian wrote:
I still want to be wary of using too much LEGO content for fear of them getting worked up; it would be best if we had original content as much as possible.
It's not like we're selling the game, though.
Oh, and do we have enough power over the engine to be able to fix the way water works? I really don't think we should be able to swim in thin air at the upper water level in Blocktopia.

...In fact, if we could somehow replace the old "plane" water with "three-dimensional convex mesh" water that repeats in the same manner terrain does, that would be totally awesome and such like that. Doubt it's possible with the current system, but yeah.
We have complete control over the engine, elfprince bought it. Elfprince is working on the water physics so you should suggest this to him.
KermMartian wrote:

I think calc-y has it nailed here. Look how long http://ldraw.org/ has been around, and they actually have a friendly relationship with Lego.

GreyMario wrote:
Oh, and do we have enough power over the engine to be able to fix the way water works? I really don't think we should be able to swim in thin air at the upper water level in Blocktopia.

...In fact, if we could somehow replace the old "plane" water with "three-dimensional convex mesh" water that repeats in the same manner terrain does, that would be totally awesome and such like that. Doubt it's possible with the current system, but yeah.

Where does the swimming in thin air happen? It's been ages since I've played regular TBM, but that doesn't seem to happen with FreeBuild.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I think calc-y has it nailed here. Look how long http://ldraw.org/ has been around, and they actually have a friendly relationship with Lego.

GreyMario wrote:

Where does the swimming in thin air happen? It's been ages since I've played regular TBM, but that doesn't seem to happen with FreeBuild.
It happens if you give the water at the top of the waterfall any sort of water physics.
calcy, could you play around with blocktopia, using the latest commit in the repository and see if that comes up.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours