I ran across an interesting article today that discussed the possibility that while working on Windows 7's security compliance sections with Microsoft, the NSA might have "strongly suggested" they install a backdoor allowing the NSA to monitor the user's communications. What do you guys think, likely or no?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141182/Microsoft_denies_it_built_backdoor_in_Windows_7
I find it unlikely.
Oh look, another Windows backdoor rumor.
NSA only worked on the audit tool, which doesn't ship with the OS.

Backdoors almost never exist in real systems - they are more of a bad movie plot device than anything else.

So no, Windows 7 does not have a backdoor of any kind whatsoever (not intentionally, anyway Wink )
Roger Thompson, the chief research officer of antivirus vendor AVG Technologies wrote:
I can't imagine NSA and Microsoft would do anything deliberate, because the repercussions would be enormous if they got caught.
This.
swivelgames wrote:
Roger Thompson, the chief research officer of antivirus vendor AVG Technologies wrote:
I can't imagine NSA and Microsoft would do anything deliberate, because the repercussions would be enormous if they got caught.
This.
That's what I'd assume too, but remember what happened with the Clipper chip?
Somewhat related: Has anyone read 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown? Amaaazzzzing.
foamy3 wrote:
Somewhat related: Has anyone read 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown? Amaaazzzzing.
Of course, it's my favorite of his three "famous" books, the second being Angels and Demons and the third being The Da Vinci Code.
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Of course, it's my favorite of his three "famous" books, the second being Angels and Demons and the third being The Da Vinci Code.

Really? I never considered it one of his "famous" ones. My favorites go:
Digital Fortress -> Deception Point -> DaVinci Code -> Angels and Demons
foamy3 wrote:

Of course.

But the Ender series is far better Razz
Always wanted to read it... I once saw a copy of it in some second hand market (sorry, don't know a better English word), but I didn't have any money with me. No luck at the local library either.
We usually use the term "Used Book Store", or even "Book Store", as many non-chain bookstores have used books for sale.
I assumed Mapar007 was referring to, well, a book market. Or do you not have those in the USA?
benryves wrote:
I assumed Mapar007 was referring to, well, a book market. Or do you not have those in the USA?

Nothing permanent. Various places (like schools, churches, etc..) will sometimes do a book sale to raise money (people donate books, place sells them for like $1 or $0.50)
It's the kind of book sale Kllrnohj and benryves were referring to, actually.

EDIT: I noticed my location was not in my profile, so now you all know that I'm from Belgium and that English is NOT my native tongue... Razz
Mapar007 wrote:
It's the kind of book sale Kllrnohj and benryves were referring to, actually.

EDIT: I noticed my location was not in my profile, so now you all know that I'm from Belgium and that English is NOT my native tongue... Razz
Ah, I never knew that before; if I may say so myself, you speak much better English than many of the netizens I've encountered in my travels. Smile At any rate, good to know what you meant. I don't suppose there's any chance we'll be getting back on topic, btw?
KermMartian wrote:
I don't suppose there's any chance we'll be getting back on topic, btw?

Nope, none so ever. Razz

The backdoor claim is just propaganda by the anti-Microsoft zealots who refuse to believe Microsoft made a decent operating system :O

Or not.
Win7 is decent, but incredibly overpriced.
Linux FTW.
KermMartian wrote:

From my point of view, he just wrote the same story 4 times and just changed the names and places. Seriously, read all of them in parallel. They are the same plot line with the same twists in the same places. They only differences lay in the Names, Places, and the McGuffin.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours