Another one of my not entirely far-fetched, but incredibly random ideas.

How hard would it be to engineer a USB transceiver to receive and broadcast voice data over FRS or GMRS frequencies?

I did a bit of research and found that TI has three types of USB transceivers, but I would have no clue how to utilize them, and I know for a fact a piece of software would need to be written prior to it's complete utilization.

I think it'd be an interesting project to undertake and would like to know what you all thought about it, and if (highly doubt it) any of you all would have some tips on how a project like this could be started or done.

[EDIT]
Found an interesting site; Somewhat related...
http://www.hampedia.net/

And another Very Happy Very Happy
http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/linux_frs/index.html
This would be hella hard for a software geek like you Razz
Yeah, definitely Razz
I've thought of this before, but you run into two primary obstacles: 1) excessive power usage from constant transmission, as well as the near-necessity of using two channels for full-duplex communication, and 2) it's illegal. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
I've thought of this before, but you run into two primary obstacles: 1) excessive power usage from constant transmission, as well as the near-necessity of using two channels for full-duplex communication, and 2) it's illegal. Very Happy

Pff - FCC regulations are more suggestions than laws Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hahaha, nice.

And I thought you didn't have to have a license for FRS? Razz
swivelgames wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hahaha, nice.

And I thought you didn't have to have a license for FRS? Razz

Quote:
6. Is my FRS radio an unlicensed Part 15 "intentional radiator" like a cordless phone?

No. It is a radio station in the Citizens Band Radio Service, "authorized by rule" under the Communications Act.

Unlike Part 15 intentional radiators, FRS users are subject to operator rules.

FRS manufacturers are subject to FRS technical standards found in Part 95.

Quote:
Top of Page | Frequently Asked Questions | FRS Home Page | PRSG Home Page

15. May I use my FRS radio to transmit data communications?

Effective April 2, 2003, the FCC changed the FRS rules to permit data transmissions pertaining to location information of the FRS station. The new rules also permit the transmission of brief text messages. The maximum transmission time must not exceed 1 second, and the minimum time before the next data transmission must be not less than 30 seconds.

Only those FRS radios that the FCC has specifically certified for such data operation may actually transmit data. FRS rules continue to prohibit the attachment of any device to an FRS radio for which use that radio has not been certified by the FCC.

The FCC has also permitted an automatic ranging transponder system (ARTS), which periodically polls FRS units to determine if they are within range. Currently only certain Yaesu FRS radios have this feature.

Hooking up a packet radio controller (TNC) to an FRS radio continues to be prohibited even under the new rules.

In other words, you can only use a duty cycle of 1/30, and only if you are an FRS radio manufacturer and have had your unit specifically licensed for such operation.
That's pretty retarded.

What is the significance of implementing regulations like that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours