After being away from my home and my computer for about a week and a half, I came back yesterday and tried to turn my computer on. The lights for the computer case turn on, the fans turn on, but nothing else seems to work. The monitor, even though it is on, stays blank with the orange standby light, as if the computer were still off. I don't hear any beep codes, even though the speakers are on (the blue light on one of the speakers is on). The keyboard's lights don't come on and the CD/DVD drive won't open either. Everything is securely plugged in as far as I can tell (I even opened up the case and everything inside it seems to be plugged in), and the power cables are plugged into a surge suppressor power box, or whatever it's called.

I searched online and found that unplugging the power cable and holding the power button for a minute could help reset any electricity in the components and could possible help. I also found that taking out the RAM modules and putting them back in might help. Neither of those worked, though.

Any ideas?

Note: I previously posted this here, and I have already tried a few new ideas. These quotes summarize what else I've tried:

metagross111 wrote:

A friend had this happen to him before. He unplugged the power and removed the motherboard battery for a few hours that night, leaving whatever leftover charge bleed out.

bfr wrote:

metagross111: OK, I think I'll try that tonight too if it still isn't working by then.

magicdanw: Yeah, there could be something wrong with the power supply unit. I may try a different one if nothing else works.

Newbie: I tried all valid combinations of RAM modules in slots, and none worked. Sad

benryves: I don't see any lights that are on directly on the motherboard. The only lights coming from inside/on the case are the case lights and the ethernet cable port light, if that's what you mean.
If you have more than one RAM module, one or more might be bad.
If your optical drive won't eject the tray then your PSU has been battered with flour and deep fried.
I was about to reply asking if the PSUs I picked out were good for my computer's specifications, but while I was typing this post, I decided to mess around with the cables some more. Most of the power supply cables in the case seemed to be pretty stuck, but I was able to take out the one going to the optical drive and then put it back in. Somehow, after I turned the computer on, the optical drive could open and close again (the monitor still doesn't show anything, though, by the way).
You wouldn't happen to have a spare computer/parts around would you? I'd start off by checking:

RAM
Video card
Motherboard

In that order.
I second Ultimate Dev'r debugging advise; at first glance it sounds like it might be the PSU, though.
KermMartian wrote:
at first glance it sounds like it might be the PSU, though.

It is easy to test. Simply jump the PSU (short the green and black wires on the 24 pin cable) and let it run continuously for 24 hours or so, see what happens. Just make sure you've unplugged the PSU from the motherboard and video card. I'd leave everything else plugged in so that there is some load on the PSU.

Or so I've heard, anyway. Don't take my word for it.
foamy3 wrote:

That advice sounds eerily familiar Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

That advice sounds eerily familiar Wink

I learned from the greatest. Good Idea

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours