Has anyone had a chance to play around with Google Voice? I am just starting to play around with it and it looks very cool. If some of you could click the link below and leave me a message to help me try it out I would appreciate it.
Leave me a message
YES! I've been in the Beta since 2007-ish when it was Grand Central. Lots of useful features when they transitioned to Voice; SMS is particularly nice. Voice Mail transcriptions can be hilarious. They advertise punctuation in the voice mail that is first left for you, but no future voice mails will contain such neat capitalization and punctuation.

Set your phone to forward to your GV number if you're busy, out of reach or if you ignore the call. It's what I do. Allows a more personal message for each friend and they will last way more than seven days!
comicIDIOT wrote:
YES! I've been in the Beta since 2007-ish when it was Grand Central. Lots of useful features when they transitioned to Voice; SMS is particularly nice. Voice Mail transcriptions can be hilarious. They advertise punctuation in the voice mail that is first left for you, but no future voice mails will contain such neat capitalization and punctuation.

Set your phone to forward to your GV number if you're busy, out of reach or if you ignore the call. It's what I do. Allows a more personal message for each friend and they will last way more than seven days!

Wow, you've been in beta since 2007 AND you use semi-colons? You are by far superior to the rest of us simple peons.
I have an account, but haven't played with it at all yet.
Google Voice is some pretty cool stuff. I use it to harass random people off facebook.
I use Google Voice for my cell phone voicemail, and it's nice. I wish I could use it for my main number, but first they need to work out a method for outgoing text and caller id masking.
i can haz invite?
No such thing, google is doing all of the invites, however you can sign up to be on the list to get one. Mine took a few months I think but my mom's who wanted to see what it was was very quick and more recent so I would go to google.com/voice and sign up to be notified when it becomes available, they are rolling it out slowly.

EDIT: magicdanw: you can mask outgoing calls, either use their app or manually call your own number then call the person through it, it is free to call anywhere in the US but international will cost.

EDIT2: oops, forgot you said main number, so no app but the other would work.
swivelgames wrote:
i can haz invite?
Not from us, but you can sign up with Google to request one, as Glenn said. Mine took less than a week; I don't know what they base it on, perhaps how long you've had your Google account?
And the people who ask for an invite with a different email provider get thrown at the back of the line? Razz
swivelgames wrote:
And the people who ask for an invite with a different email provider get thrown at the back of the line? Razz
I wouldn't be surprised, since they don't offer them to non-Google users (do they?).
When I requested an invite, it asked me for my email address, as opposed to my gmail or google account. So I'm guessing theres a small chance they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
I believe they will offer it to those without, however to take them up on it you will need to create a Google account as this is but a service on a Google account.
Glenn wrote:
I believe they will offer it to those without, however to take them up on it you will need to create a Google account as this is but a service on a Google account.

Agreed
Svakk wrote:
Agreed

?
All you need is a Google account. One common type of Google account is a Gmail account, but I use Yahoo, so my Google account is on a Yahoo email address. Anyway, point is, I got an invite, so WHAT NOW?!?!? Razz
magicdanw wrote:
One common type of Google account is a Gmail account, but I use Yahoo, so my Google account is on a Yahoo email address.
This is common knowledge.
swivelgames wrote:
magicdanw wrote:
One common type of Google account is a Gmail account, but I use Yahoo, so my Google account is on a Yahoo email address.
This is common knowledge.

I didn't know one could use a yahoo e-mail address for a google account. SO SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN NIKKY IS TALKING
allynfolksjr wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Wow, you've been in beta since 2007 AND you use semi-colons? You are by far superior to the rest of us simple peons.

Why must you hate so much on semicolons?

Google was taking forever on sending me an invite (never did get one) and the available numbers were being eaten up fast, so I broke down and bought some invites on eBay for $0.99 each.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours