Yo! So I haven't posted in ages, but I was wondering, what's the maximum discount I can get on a 13" MacbookPro through whatever student discounts, developer discounts, etc. that are available?

And no, I don't want an Ipod Touch.

Also, can Windows 7 be installed on a Mac? On the topic of Windows 7, does anyone if it will be available through MSDN-AA?
Don't bother with that crap.
http://www.debian.org
You're welcome.
If you are going to run Windows, don't piss away your money on a Macbook. Faster, *better* computers can be had for far less money.
The only reason I could even think about getting a macbook is to get a free iPod Touch. If I didn't care about the new one likely coming in a couple of months, and the fact that I'd be wasting money when a cheaper, better laptop could be had elsewhere that could even run OS X if I really truly felt like it.

But if you really want a discount, I guess buy one, get an iPod Touch free, develop awesome software for it, and sell it on the App Store to make some "discount" cash. You capitalist. Laughing
I would assume that windows 7 will run on a mac and even if it won't install you can run it in something like virtual box like I do.
My slogan has always been that you pay 50%-100% more to have a shiny white logo on the back. Unless you're dead-set on OS X, I don't see the point of buying proprietary hardware.
Liazon wrote:
Yo! So I haven't posted in ages, but I was wondering, what's the maximum discount I can get on a 13" MacbookPro through whatever student discounts, developer discounts, etc. that are available?

Also, can Windows 7 be installed on a Mac? On the topic of Windows 7, does anyone if it will be available through MSDN-AA?

Windows/PC/Anything But Mac OWNS!!!!!! Macs just blow. The only good thing about them is XCodes, which will most definetely be released for PC soon enough.

I'm A PC and I'm 19.
[quote=KermMartian]My slogan has always been that you pay 50%-100% more to have a shiny white logo on the back. Unless you're dead-set on OS X, I don't see the point of buying proprietary hardware.[/quote]

Actually some of them aren't even shiny; even more of a rip-off!

Svakk wrote:
Liazon wrote:

Windows/PC/Anything But Mac OWNS!!!!!! Macs just blow. The only good thing about them is XCodes, which will most definetely be released for PC soon enough.

Windows does not "own".

Svakk wrote:
I'm A PC and I'm 19.

You're 12. Tops.
actually, I was more interested in a comparison of hardware. I'm interested in a 13" laptop but it seems even PC ones are kind of pricey.

Is it an accurate statement to say that MacbookPro 13", hardware wise is comparable if not better than similarly priced PC 13" laptops? I only ask because a friend of mine told me about some program where I could potentially get a $400 discount.
Liazon wrote:
actually, I was more interested in a comparison of hardware. I'm interested in a 13" laptop but it seems even PC ones are kind of pricey.

Is it an accurate statement to say that MacbookPro 13", hardware wise is comparable if not better than similarly priced PC 13" laptops? I only ask because a friend of mine told me about some program where I could potentially get a $400 discount.

Nowhere near accurate. 13" is kind of an odd size for a laptop; usually you'll see only tablets and netbooks under 14". Take a look at the laptops over at CompUSA or Newegg.
Liazon wrote:

Get what you will. Macs can run Windows, even Windows Seven. Keep yuor OS X DVD; you'll need it to install Windows Drivers for Sound, Webcam & Bluetooth. And Windows runs well.

I find it odd that my earphone jack lights up red, though.
I believe you get a 100$ discount as a student if you buy through Apple, not sure about any other discounts.
Liazon wrote:

It is an accurate statement to say that Apple charges significantly more than everyone else for the same damn thing. There is *NOTHING* special about Apple's hardware.

Any reason you want a 13" laptop? 13" is pretty small. I'd recommend a 15.4" laptop, which you can get cheap and powerful (well, you can only get the cheap part if you don't buy a Macbook).
mainly, I'm just looking for something portable put with more horsepower than a netbook.
Liazon wrote:
mainly, I'm just looking for something portable put with more horsepower than a netbook.

A 15.4 would likely fit that role just fine. Go to a retail store and just see what size you like.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Liazon wrote:

A 15.4 would likely fit that role just fine. Go to a retail store and just see what size you like.
Don't be pushed for a 15" laptop if you don't want it. I have a 13" and I can't decide why I'd go bigger.

I don't need the real estate of a 15, 17" and I like the ultra-portability of my 13". If you're doing a lot of travelling - moving around - stay small. If your staying home most the time go as big as you dare.

I personally feel intimidated by a large laptop monitor in front of me. I can sit in front of a 17" if I'm back far enough but I just feel too close with one on my lap - or on a plane for that matter.

It's up to you. Go with what you want; I see a lot of "Bigger is better" here but no one is saying why. So don't bother paying attention Smile
I've gone from a 12" screen, to a 13.1" screen, back to a 12" screen, on my three successive tablets. All have been more than sufficient for typing, internet and email, gaming, 2D and 3D graphics design, and more. I would agree you don't need a big screen, but I also would agree that you should find a PC for the features and the lower price.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Liazon wrote:

Don't be pushed for a 15" laptop if you don't want it. I have a 13" and I can't decide why I'd go bigger.

I don't need the real estate of a 15, 17" and I like the ultra-portability of my 13". If you're doing a lot of travelling - moving around - stay small. If your staying home most the time go as big as you dare.

I personally feel intimidated by a large laptop monitor in front of me. I can sit in front of a 17" if I'm back far enough but I just feel too close with one on my lap - or on a plane for that matter.

It's up to you. Go with what you want; I see a lot of "Bigger is better" here but no one is saying why. So don't bother paying attention Smile

Bigger is better if you want greater detail, have bad eyes, intend on looking at the screen for long stretches of time, and/or are looking for a desktop replacement laptop. So don't bother paying attention to the Idiot Razz

Kllrnohj wrote:

This.
Forgive me if you've answered this already, but what do you plan on using the laptop for? I bought a 15.4" ThinkPad as a desktop replacement, and it's small enough to be carried around campus, sturdy enough to withstand normal strains, and powerful enough to do anything I previously did with a desktop.
comicIDIOT wrote:

If you do, it means you can't read. I clearly state that 15.4" will *likely* fit the role he wants and then explicitly state that he should go to a retail store to see and chose IN PERSON what size he wants.

The reason for 15.4" is exceedingly simple, it offers by far the best value/performance/portability trade off. A 13" will cost more and be less powerful, but will have increased portability. A 17" will likely just cost more at the expense of portability, and is usually relegated to the role of desktop replacement. A 15.4" strikes, overall, a very good balance. It is still small enough to be portable, yet large enough that you can have cheap performance. Performance that can easily keep up with desktops at a cost that is only slightly more than a desktop. Also, my 15.4" has a 1920x1200 resolution LCD - lets see your 13" even attempt to come close to that Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Also, my 15.4" has a 1920x1200 resolution LCD - lets see your 13" even attempt to come close to that Wink
1280x800 boy! Laughing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours