My (almost) countless attempts at successfully creating a Content Management System have helped me in the long run. Continually revisiting old/outdated, messy code has helped me (to some degree) improve how I code in general.

Anyway, I've decided that I would be running one project from now on. The project will consist of multiple test scripts and functions. This will allow me to focus on particular areas of website functionality using PHP.

Each test, or new CMS I start on, will be called CMS# and documented as AT#-DATE. The documented name helps me keep track of the specific source by specifying that it's an attempt (AT), the # of the attempt, and the date when the attempt began.

Right now, I'm working on CMS12 (or AT12-090627). With CMS12, I'm focusing on Administrator functions. Mainly just the AdminCP and extremely basic Admin functions (editing settings, users, and other things). To keep my focus on this particular area (seeing as I'm some what OCD and ADHD) I won't be posting up what I'll be doing next (more or less contemplate it).

I'll be using this thread to keep you all updated on the progress Smile

EDIT
KermMartian wrote:
Swivel, you need to stop renaming the same project over and over again, it's getting confusing. Very Happy

This is the last time, I swear!! Laughing
CMS12
  • Login/Logout functions added
    Sessions are controlled by saving the SID in a cookie on the user's computer, and storing the user's browser information, ip address, expiration date, and log in information into the database. When the page loads the SID is read from the cookie and matched with a row in the session table in the database. The database information (expiration, IP address, browser info, etc...) is then used to verify the integrity and validity of the session. If verified, the user is logged in and nothing but the expiration is updated.
  • Remember Me Added
    Doesn't seem to be working very efficiently... I'll look at it later. Not too important atm.
  • Template System Optimized
    After adding, I slightly optimized it a bit. Looking at adding support for conditional statements which will allow for less hard-coded or page-specific templates (for instance: home_left_box_loggedin Laughing )
Most all source was borrowed from CustomCore 2 (Lemur's latest infrastructure) and was restructured, optimized, and recycled Smile

Screenshot
(I'll try and have a new one every time I update, if not a demo Smile )
Click to enlarge, of course Smile
Darn it, Swiv! Stop it with the name changing! Mad Laughing

Anywho, looking good so far man. Can't wait to see further updates. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours