I'm getting my computer to day at around 6:00pm EST by saturday i should be able to give a basic review, and by 4/7 I should be able to give a more extensive one.
I'll also be posting a link to a page with pics of my setup and with screen shots on either 4/7 or 4/11 (I'm going out of town for spring break from 4/8 - 4/10)
Sweet! What kind of specs?
umm... I'll be able to tell that after I get it, what I know as of now:
Pentium 3(speed not known yet)
older ATI card
16 - 20 gig hdd
2 usb ports
Surprised This is secondary as a server, right?
as a secondary server? no as my computer
Cool. But are you going to host your site on it?
no ill still host my site where it is, my dsl would die if i did that, not enogh upload.
Ah, got it. The interface looks awesome though. Does it support win apps?
no but there are a few linux progs that u can in install that let you, win4lin and mime
Cool. Do they provide full support? Like can you use VTI with it Smile
patl411 wrote:
Pentium 3(speed not known yet)
older ATI card
16 - 20 gig hdd
2 usb ports

Where did you get it from, and how much did it cost?
i got it froma a friend and it was $30

its a pentium3 450
4.5 gig hdd
8mb ram
^THE PROBLEM

well it wont run linspire:( so i wont be putin that up ne time soon, but the case is a $49 case so thats a plus and i can ge a mother board for $30 and a processor for like $70 and an hdd for like $53
this will happen in about a month
Anything under 1 GHz isn't worth buying in a processor nowadays; where do you plan on buying a processor for $70?
You can get a PIII for that price that's surprisingly fast, maybe 1MB L2 cache, 200 MHz FSB.
my friend can get me an athon xp for $70
i can also get this duron 1.8 GHz from newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-160&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE
go here to check out my options http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1434447
sweet! That's a crazily low price.

I have a PIII 400 MHz/6.4 GB HDD/64 MB RAM/3.5" FDD/No optical computer I'm planning on using as a server once I figure out how. Smile
Theres a good book on setting up a server using the basic LAMP system (linux, Apachie, Mysql, Php)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782143377/qid=1112496035/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2472328-2802533?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Never read it, but the person who wrote it made the phpfreaks, mysql freaks, apachie freaks ect. sites, so it seems like a good place to start
well i downclocked the p3 from 450 to 200 and it seems like its runnin a little faster, i had it overclocked to 800 but it wouldnt boot, i think it was killin the ram, all whopping 8mb
Downclocked?? Why?! Smile
b/c the slower the processor is runnin, the less load is put on the ram, and with the right speed, it will run faster, even tho its runnin slower. is that cofusing enough?

Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours