My sister wants to know if anybody could make a program (non-calc) that could do some genetic stuff, so basically it would tell you the physical aspects after breeding two creatures, you don’t see the actual traits you just guess on how they will look if you breed them. She also wants it to be able to display pedigrees. If anybody wants to take on this project I’ll get some more info from her for you
Post some details. I've got some spare time (for once) this summer and I'm trying to sharpen my C# skills. Post me up a nice abstract and I'll see what I can do.
....what do you mean by abstract?
Just post what you would want the user-input to be, and what you want the program to do with it. The programmer needs to know exactly what the program should be outputting.
Eeems wrote:
My sister wants to know if anybody could make a program (non-calc) that could do some genetic stuff, so basically it would tell you the physical aspects after breeding two creatures, you don’t see the actual traits you just guess on how they will look if you breed them. She also wants it to be able to display pedigrees. If anybody wants to take on this project I’ll get some more info from her for you
It sounds like a cool project, I'd like to work on it if I had the time, but I'm afraid I don't really have the time at the moment. Sad
Reminds me of the Project Evolve I did for science fair a couple years ago to demonstrate genetic algorithms and emergent behavior.
Eeems wrote:

So its some sort of simulator? I barely remember my biology, but how is the program supposed to know which traits are dominant/recessive, or tied to the Y chromosome, etc...? Or is this pedigree supposed to show every conceivable possibility?
I don't have all the info on this but I'll get it to you as soon as I get home
Eeems wrote:
I don't have all the info on this but I'll get it to you as soon as I get home
Excellent. On a side note, can you all please grow up? You are a good part of the reason that there are no girls on the internets. I'm getting sick of editing all your posts. Razz
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
You are a good part of the reason that there are no girls on the internets.

LIES. I found a ginormous cache of them, on a fairly nerdy forum. And I'm *not* sharing where it is either. Wink

One word: traps.
I wont be able to type it up this weekend, I have a thing called YC that I'm going to, so I wont be on much this weekend
Eeems wrote:
I wont be able to type it up this weekend, I have a thing called YC that I'm going to, so I wont be on much this weekend

Are they rapping to Jesus on the frontpage?
I think so, my sound was off. take a look at this. they're Christian too, but you couldn't tell from the artwork
Eeems wrote:
I think so, my sound was off. take a look at this. they're Christian too, but you couldn't tell from the artwork

lol Ster-e-er-e-o

Reminds me of when I first heard about "Christian Death Metal" Such fail.
wow that is a fail...hmm how about this, or this
Eeems: ever listen to the Grits?
yep, they'll be there so I will listen to them tonight too
eh, I didn't get to listen to the Grits, but Red and TFK were amazing. I also picked up a Haste the Day cd which is epic.
ok, YC is over so I'll try to get the stuff typed up tomorrow is I don't get stuck in a convo with my girlfriend. (Yes I did say that Razz )
Eeems wrote:
eh, I didn't get to listen to the Grits, but Red and TFK were amazing. I also picked up a Haste the Day cd which is epic.
ok, YC is over so I'll try to get the stuff typed up tomorrow is I don't get stuck in a convo with my girlfriend. (Yes I did say that Razz )

You find her at the YC?
maybe, maybe not

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours