Stupid comcast. Stupid router. Stupid wifi. >.>

This is about what I get most of the time.

Fastest I've ever seen to date:
How'd your ping change that much in five minutes?
I opened the door. Laughing
comicIDIOT wrote:
How'd your ping change that much in five minutes?

3 ms is well within the margin of error. Ping usually varies by quite a bit.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Stupid comcast. Stupid router. Stupid wifi. >.>

This is about what I get most of the time.

Fastest I've ever seen to date:

HAHA YOUR CONNECTION SUCKS

btw the size tags aren't working in this topic.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
btw the size tags aren't working in this topic.

Yes they are
They are now; apparently you have to put the size tags first and then build outward with the other tags.
It surprises me just how poor the upload that most ISPs offer is. Is an order of magnitude difference really an acceptable quality of service? I suppose the vast majority of consumers don't notice dialup-quality upload speeds.
At school:
KermMartian wrote:
It surprises me just how poor the upload that most ISPs offer is. Is an order of magnitude difference really an acceptable quality of service? I suppose the vast majority of consumers don't notice dialup-quality upload speeds.

Well ISPs typically make the download speed basis of "speed"; Most people assume that this big number is "speed" and ignore everything else, forgetting that upload (requests in a TCP/IP dominated world) are as important as download...
well this is at my school
My School.

test 2
well I tested from another computer and this is what I got

and this is when I tested my Tokyo connection
KermMartian wrote:

Because almost no one uses upload and afaik faster uploads are actually harder for most modems. And I would hardly call the upload speeds of DSL/Cable "dialup-quality". With dialup 56k was the theoretical maximum, with DSL/Cable 384kb up is the typical low end.

Whoa, I'm doing way better today.
Doing the test during non-peak hours helps, though it is not much better than the last one it is still better. Razz

This is my LAN (Local Area Network) speed.
QuinnZhao wrote:
LAN (Local Area Network)

Thanks for clarifying.
QuinnZhao wrote:

This is my LAN (Local Area Network) speed.

I doubt that is your LAN speed, all LANs that I know of are symmetrical uplink/downlink speed for one (and almost all university networks [if not all] would have at least 100Mbit wired and at least 54Mbit wireless in all of their LAN [unless the device only supports 10Mbit]), for another a university LAN 100 miles from point A to point B with internal IP geolocation (at least that is how I think they get the distance) I doubt it, And for the last nail in the coffin, speedtest.net is an internet server so unless your LAN hosts one of their servers it couldn't be on your LAN.

EDIT: I just remembered I got a download from sourceforge today at home and I peaked at 1.7 or 1.8 Mbyte per second (13.6 or 14.4 Mbit per second) in firefox. On that download my average was around 1.2 or 1.3 Mbyte/s (9.6 or 10.4 Mbit/s)

This is with a torrent active as well, so not sure if that will do anything to the results. I will redo this later when it isn't active.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 12
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours