I'm sigfig, a noob coder and artist. I've been a noob at said things for almost 4 years now and I don't plan on stopping.

Just thought I'd say hi.
Hello SigFIg, welcome to Cemetech! What languages do you code in, and what are your preferred grraphics apps?
hiya sigfig. Glad to have you here.
KermMartian wrote:
Hello SigFIg, welcome to Cemetech! What languages do you code in, and what are your preferred grraphics apps?

I prefer python because of it's simplistic syntax and it's speed.
As for graphics, I've generally used the source engine and farb's pycap.
Fair deal. What about GIMP, Photoshop, and programs of those ilk - do you use either or both of them (or something else)?

Also, other than python, do you program any compiled languages or any calculator languages?
KermMartian wrote:
Fair deal. What about GIMP, Photoshop, and programs of those ilk - do you use either or both of them (or something else)?

Also, other than python, do you program any compiled languages or any calculator languages?

I'm sorry, I mistook "graphics apps" for "rendering engines". :/
For most graphics I prefer inkscape (the GNU vector graphics application, but sometimes I find myself in need of using GIMP.
I'm also fairly skilled in good old MSPaint.

As for programming languages, I know a bit of C++ (not enough to do anything with) and I enjoy writing TI-BASIC in classes.
Sounds good, I haven't used Inkscape too much, but I of course love the GIMP. Anything interesting you've made in TI-BASIC, and/or anything you'd care to publish here or at ticalc.org?
The lack of a def() or func() command really disorientates me.
However, I have been using it to test some stuff for my personal 2d physics engine. The tests aren't very much though, just collision detection and some gravity. I'm really hoping I can just get the object rotation over in python and not have to deal with that in tibasic.
for functions you can use sub-programs, or have the program run itself, and decide what to do based on what's in Ans.
Will_W wrote:
for functions you can use sub-programs, or have the program run itself, and decide what to do based on what's in Ans.

I've been using other programs as modules, but it still bothers me. I guess I've just been in the loving world of python for too long.
I was diving through the includes for Python 3.0.1 once and saw that they actually added an antigravity file. It just imports webbrowser then opens to that xkcd link.
oh wow, that's funny Laughing
foamy3 wrote:
I was diving through the includes for Python 3.0.1 once and saw that they actually added an antigravity file. It just imports webbrowser then opens to that xkcd link.
Heh, I love that kind of sense of humor. Smile
Quote:
>>> from __future__ import braces
File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance
KermMartian wrote:

Well, it is named after Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Sigfig wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Well, it is named after Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Is that a fact? Huh, never knew that before, thanks for the bit of knowledge. I guess that makes sense that they're a bit whimsical then.
KermMartian wrote:
Is that a fact? Huh, never knew that before, thanks for the bit of knowledge. I guess that makes sense that they're a bit whimsical then.

It's stated in the official documentation.
Sigfig wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I prefer python because of it's simplistic syntax and it's speed.
As for graphics, I've generally used the source engine and farb's pycap.

lol Python for speed.

Sigfig wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

It's stated in the official documentation.

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general/#why-is-it-called-python
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
lol Python for speed.

In some cases with some tricky programming, Python can be faster than Java Wink

But I assume he meant speed of development.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours