swivelgames wrote:
My shared has 80GB and 2TB of monthly bandwidth.

So why do you need/want Dropbox? Confused
It's a shared, and not a dedicated. It's not a file server either, it's a reseller, so eh. I wasn't exactly clear with that, lol
320GB in my desktop (currently not booting. maybe a post on that later)
160GB in my netbook
160GB external that I'm just borrowing to hopefully save some data from previously mentioned desktop
16GB flash drive
swivelgames wrote:
It's a shared, and not a dedicated. It's not a file server either, it's a reseller, so eh. I wasn't exactly clear with that, 0x5

Dedicated would only matter if you needed the CPU power or RAM, which you don't in this case. Being a reseller instead of a file server is also irrelevant. It still stores files just fine Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
My shared server has 50 GB of space and 2 TB of monthly bandwidth. Wink

*bump* This is no longer true. I now have 500GB of space and unmetered bandwidth on my shared server. w00t

@Kerm: Did you ever switch to and/or are you still with surpasshosting.com?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
My shared server has 50 GB of space and 2 TB of monthly bandwidth. Wink

*bump* This is no longer true. I now have 500GB of space and unmetered bandwidth on my shared server. w00t

@Kerm: Did you ever switch to and/or are you still with surpasshosting.com?
I am still on Surpass; last time I checked I had 200GB and 2TB transfer, which is still nearly unmetered for all practical purposes.
I've actually tried out Dropbox (do I get a cookie, Swiv? Razz), and it's not too bad. It has an ample amount of space with no bandwidth limits nor adverts, unlike FileDen (shudders), which I've used in the distant past.

As far as small uploads and collaborations, Swivel, I think you may be interesting in http://drop.io/howto, which, as the name may imply, allows people to create--without registration--disposable dropboxes of up to 100MB with access settings to allow those you want access and control of the content. Plus it comes with instant previews of media files and you can provide public links if that's what you're into.

Kllrnohj wrote:
@Foamy and Swivel: But will Dropbox run my torrents? Didn't think so. (I got a web interface for that, too Razz
http://blog.gesteves.com/post/84438959/start-bittorrent-downloads-remotely-with-dropbox
jfabi82 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Foamy and Swivel: But will Dropbox run my torrents? Didn't think so. (I got a web interface for that, too Razz
http://blog.gesteves.com/post/84438959/start-bittorrent-downloads-remotely-with-dropbox

FT f*ing W

Nice find. Smile
jfabi82 wrote:

Which requires another computer to actually run the torrents. In which case, just have that computer that is always on (otherwise it can't add torrents) to a DynDNS. Which brings us back to the point of "why have dropbox?"

The only possible use I can see for that is if for whatever reason you can't do port forwarding, but in that case I would just run a VPN instead.

@Kerm: The power plan (what I just upgraded to) is now 500GB and unmetered bandwidth - that is the cheapest shared plan they have. So you should now have 500GB and unmetered bandwidth as well (should be listed in the CPanel)
Kllrnohj wrote:
Which requires another computer to actually run the torrents.

Um... yeah? Doesn't your server have to be up in order to run the torrent? Dropbox's servers aren't run by us, so they really can't count in this. It's a layer of abstraction that we shouldn't be able to see. So we're each using two computers.
kllrnohj: You're looking at this from only one perspective. Go back and look at your list of servers and files and such and then look at other people's. The idea was obviously not directed toward you, since you don't have a problem with this in the first place. The idea was directed toward people who have multiple computers and don't want to have to go through the trouble of setting up a central server to keep files synced between multiple computers. This is just a simple way to sync your files quickly and easily and with some added features (stores all file revisions, includes file backups (in-case you decide you didn't want to delete that file), and it's as simple as dragging and dropping in to another WinExplorer window).

The sole purpose of this, obviously, was not so you could run your torrents through it. So as I'm sure everyone here is happy for you and your advanced setup, I'm not sure that it is entirely on topic seeing as you're one of the few who have the ability and opportunity to set something like that up, and you're also very content with not using Dropbox. Understand, it might be very useful to someone else.
foamy3 wrote:
Um... yeah? Doesn't your server have to be up in order to run the torrent? Dropbox's servers aren't run by us, so they really can't count in this. It's a layer of abstraction that we shouldn't be able to see. So we're each using two computers.

So explain to me, how is using Dropbox as the middle man "FT f*ing W"?

@Swivel: Of course everyone can't have their own server. But you already do, so why bother with the limitations of Dropbox? As for setting up a server, if its all on the same network you don't even need to do that. If they aren't and you are too lazy to set up a spare box as a server and only want to share files, then I guess dropbox is a good solution. Pretty weak use case, though, as a VPN would work too.
Kllrnohj wrote:
if its all on the same network you don't even need to do that. If they aren't and you are too lazy to set up a spare box as a server and only want to share files, then I guess dropbox is a good solution. Pretty weak use case, though, as a VPN would work too.

My friends and I have a VPN set up and, for example, when downloading a (Creative Commons licensed) album (from the Jamendo torrents) we can all choose to download different tracks of the same album, and then copy the missing songs to each other over ftp. This drastically improves download speeds in swarms with not enough seeds. Besides this, we can share files directly between each other, and even watch the same movie at the same time from different houses with VLC.
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

So explain to me, how is using Dropbox as the middle man "FT f*ing W"?

Because of how easy that is to set up. Once your initially set up your client to look for new torrents, all you'd have to do is download .torrent file into your dropbox folder and it starts automatically. Absolutely no hassle. Sure as heck beats emailing the URL to yourself, then starting it when you get home.
foamy3 wrote:
Because of how easy that is to set up. Once your initially set up your client to look for new torrents, all you'd have to do is download .torrent file into your dropbox folder and it starts automatically. Absolutely no hassle. Sure as heck beats emailing the URL to yourself, then starting it when you get home.

http://www.torrentflux.com Rolling Eyes
So it's a control vs. speed issue. Torrent flux gives you complete control, and the Dropbox method will start automatically if you drag the torrent into your dropbox folder. It's really just preference.
foamy3 wrote:
So it's a control vs. speed issue. Torrent flux gives you complete control, and the Dropbox method will start automatically if you drag the torrent into your dropbox folder. It's really just preference.

No? Torrentflux I just open up the page, search for my torrents through it, and hit "add". Or just download the torrent and use the web interface to add it.

No matter how you do it, its still faster than Dropbox (or the same speed)
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

No? Torrentflux I just open up the page, search for my torrents through it, and hit "add". Or just download the torrent and use the web interface to add it.

No matter how you do it, its still faster than Dropbox (or the same speed)

I can see it being the same speed (sorta), but there's no way it's faster. With Dropbox, you would just right click on the torrent's link from any tracker sight and save it to /dropbox. That's it.
foamy3 wrote:
I can see it being the same speed (sorta), but there's no way it's faster. With Dropbox, you would just right click on the torrent's link from any tracker sight and save it to /dropbox. That's it.

What part of "I can search THROUGH TORRENTFLUX" did you miss? I don't even need to save it.
I can't really find any good screenshots or info links, but i would assume that if it's connecting to your own server, you would at least need to log into the applet or something.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours