What is everyone's take on the new Facebook?

lol, I opened up Facebook and refreshed it after a minute of being idle and saw the change. I was like, whoa, wtf?

I personally like it so far. Of course, not everyone likes drastic change, but it's not too much Razz
I'm still getting used to it. But it looks pretty good.
I like the change in page styles, its much easier on the eyes...I also like the whats on your mind thing...the rounded profile pic's look really nice
I like the control it gives on your feed. You can choose which friend-lists you want to see.
foamy3 wrote:
I like the control it gives on your feed. You can choose which friend-lists you want to see.

0.o I didn't notice that!
Yeah, that was the first thing I notice. I really like it a lot so far. That's one thing I like a lot about it though.
I didn't it like it when fronted with it yesterday. Too much info in too many columns. But as the day wore on I started growing fonder of it and understanding the layout.

Eeems wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

0.o I didn't notice that!
You could do that before the change, it just wasn't as easy.
If Facebook aren't going to buy Twitter, they may as well try and imitate it.

Either way, the new home page doesn't work in Opera, so I am not impressed.
Initially I was like 'WTF! Now it's gonna be impossible to facebook stalk people without checking there profile regularly!' then I realized they made it easier.

I approve.
@benryves Explain yourself please Smile

It seems to work fine in Opera for me...
Posting status updates or wall posts doesn't work (the submit button doesn't appear to have any effect). Posting comments to wall posts works, though.

The error console is filled with "Bad _listenHandler() context" errors which may be related.

Edit: I've also noticed that in IE clicking the "What's on your mind?" box makes a row of buttons appear (Add Link Photos Video) which doesn't happen on Opera either.

Edit 2: Hm, it works in old versions of Opera (9.62), just not Opera 10 apparently. First time I've encountered a site that doesn't work in Opera 10!
Eh, I don't have a particular problem with the Facebook design refresh; it's just that I feel it's unnecessary. There was nothing wrong with the old design, other than that it was not AJAXy enough for them. Now Facebook is just becoming a glorified Twitter.
KermMartian wrote:
Eh, I don't have a particular problem with the Facebook design refresh; it's just that I feel it's unnecessary. There was nothing wrong with the old design, other than that it was not AJAXy enough for them. Now Facebook is just becoming a glorified Twitter.

The "live" updates seem rather broken as well. Mine never seems to want to actually update the feed, so I still have to hit refresh every so often.

Facebook beta testing FTL Bad Idea
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

The "live" updates seem rather broken as well. Mine never seems to want to actually update the feed, so I still have to hit refresh every so often.

Facebook beta testing FTL Bad Idea
Not only that, a lot of my friends have been reporting sporadic inability to post updates or wall posts at all, so it seems like their live vs. offline testing capabilities are severely retarded. I would think with the amount of revenue they make even in a single day they could manage to afford a state-of-the-art testing and sync system.
*sigh*... It seems they have other problems as well. Like, for instance, when you look at wall posts and it says:
Facebook Wall Post wrote:
J** B** wrote
at 11:47pm tomorrow
swivelgames wrote:
*sigh*... It seems they have other problems as well. Like, for instance, when you look at wall posts and it says:
Facebook Wall Post wrote:
J** B** wrote
at 11:47pm tomorrow
Shock Time zone issues? Or just general fail?
Not sure, lol, but seems pretty fail to me...

"C'mon Facebook, what's the deal?! Get your act together! Mad "
It did that before with the last facebook, too.
foamy3 wrote:
It did that before with the last facebook, too.
I think I've seen a similar problem before; I always assumed it was something to do with the way they calculate time client-side using the client's machine's clock.
I'm also noticing my comment are appearing to not have been posted when I comment on a new picture or status. I have to leave the current page then go back to the page to see said comment. Their attempt at AJAX fails. They have other problems to worry about rather than change the home page, seriously. They could have worked to AJAX the last layout and everything would have been fine.

Well, I think the last layout did have AJAX but it wasn't the focus of the home page. If you clicked on LiveFeed the list would update whenever a friend publicly did something; That's how the new homepage should be: a robust LiveFeed system.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours