I ran across an interesting, very far-fetched-sounding article on
Digg today about a new product that Wolfram Mathematics is working on called Wolfram Alpha. It supposedly calculates (instead of looks up) the answers to questions, using built-in databases of information, equations for physics and math and engineering, etc. I'm interested to see what its full potential will end up being. Any thoughts?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/08/wolfram-alpha-computes-answers-to-factual-questions-this-is-going-to-be-big/
that's a really interesting idea... I would really like to have a crack at it, to see if I can stump it. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
I ran across an interesting, very far-fetched-sounding article on
Digg today about a new product that Wolfram Mathematics is working on called Wolfram Alpha. It supposedly calculates (instead of looks up) the answers to questions, using built-in databases of information, equations for physics and math and engineering, etc. I'm interested to see what its full potential will end up being. Any thoughts?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/08/wolfram-alpha-computes-answers-to-factual-questions-this-is-going-to-be-big/

If wolfram is working on it, it can't be *that* far fetched. I'm also excited to see how this comes out, although naming it Alpha (given that its a first version) confused me when I was reading about it on /.
All I can say is... AWESOME!

That, and... Skynet became self-aware at 2:14am EDT August 29, 1997

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours