**** copyright Nazi's is what they are; removing not only vids with infringing content (i.e. movies), but now removing audio tracks from videos that use copyrighted songs. wth? A video is no use without a backing track (imo). Couple this with the growing number of pop-up adds in videos (and in some cases annotations), there's no way youtube or the recording industry are "losing money".

YouTube provides songs for you to "overlay" onto your video.

And personally, I don't mind YouTubes action here, I'd rather still have YouTube with less content than no YouTube at all after it gets shut down by legal action.

YouTube was conceived to be a place for homegrown & original videos, not fan music videos or TV stuff. YouTube didn't mind the onslaught of such content because no one was complaining until recently when Viacom sued them. Now YouTube is enforcing it's earlier vision and everyone is getting upset.

Once people learn that they, themselves, are now responsible for their fan videos and have the possibility to be sued for everything, they'll stop creating such content and we'll see more creativity being brought forth because those persons are now focusing on their own content & originality rather than a popular icon/show/etc.

Besides YouTubes featured videos section and stuff like http://bestofyoutube.com posts up to several times a week of cool video that are worth watching - sometimes.
Far too often, though, YouTube simply pulls down any content that Viacom says is infringment. In many cases, there is NO copyright infringement in the video AT ALL, yet YouTube will pull it because Viacom said so.

It is complete bullshit. The music and movie industry do NOT have the right to demand copyright infringing videos to be pulled - they MUST go through the proper channels (ie, court).

Its even worse in Europe where an ISP is censoring sites that the RIAA tells them to.
Kllrnohj wrote:
The music and movie industry do NOT have the right to demand copyright infringing videos to be pulled - they MUST go through the proper channels (ie, court).

Who said they did? Can you honestly blame YouTube for playing nice? They're obviously hosting copyright infringing videos and would lose the court cases. There is no point in them being dicks about it.
Since it is uploaded by the users, technically they can't get in trouble for it because the company didn't upload it themselves... Right?
But it is their responsibility because it is on their server.
swivelgames wrote:
Since it is uploaded by the users, technically they can't get in trouble for it because the company didn't upload it themselves... Right?

If someone steals a car and hides it in your garage, can you get in trouble?
foamy3 wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

No, but you will have to return the car.
calc84maniac wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

No, but you will have to return the car.
Yes, you can get in trouble. As long as the police/lawyer can prove you knew it was there and did nothing to inform authorities.
For the record, I don't support this either.
It would at least be more acceptable to me if there was some step between "Viacom complains" and "video is gone." I don't think every single video is worth a lawsuit, but at least some form of a regulated legal channel would make me feel less upset.
Since when is this news? They've been pulling everyone's vids since they were bought by Google. Now youtube is nothing but emos and retarded children.
Who said it was news? No one is announcing this as something new...
calc84maniac wrote:
But it is their responsibility because it is on their server.

NO IT IS NOT. Just like ISPs can't get in trouble for what you do with your internet connection, YouTube *CAN NOT* get in trouble for what users post. They have ZERO accountability.

Quote:
Who said they did? Can you honestly blame YouTube for playing nice? They're obviously hosting copyright infringing videos and would lose the court cases. There is no point in them being dicks about it.

Yes, I can blame them. Viacom, the RIAA, and the MPAA DO NOT DETERMINE WHAT ARE COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS. The *FACT* is that the music and movie industry are taking down 100% LEGAL uses of copyrighted materials. Your rights are being violated and ignored on a daily basis, yet here you stand DEFENDING the company that is ROBBING you of your rights? Yes, there ARE legal uses of copyright materials. They are the Fair Use laws, and the industry is completely ignoring them. They are repeatedly in violation of the law, they are making claims that are not legal, and yet youtube is listening.

WAKE THE HELL UP PEOPLE.
Here is the exact law Kllrnohj is referenceing gotten from http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html
Quote:
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

From what I gather if the copyrighted work is used for criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching , scholarship, or research it is fair use of said works, in most cases.

<offtopic>Ironicly we started a unit on the recording industry in my Media Comm. class around the same time this thread was started.</offtopic>
Oh, I should also point out that going through the court does *NOT* mean suing YouTube to pull a video. It doesn't cost YouTube anything, it just involves the RIAA/MPAA to get a court order to pull copyrighted materials in question, which is what they are SUPPOSED to be doing.
Okay, then I was wrong about the legality. I'm sure you know more about it than me. I'm still on YouTube's side for this, though.

It's still YouTube's choice what they host on their servers. As you said, they're not being forced to bring the videos down. They're doing it out of their own will. OUR rights aren't being violated. YouTube is just giving up THEIR rights.
foamy3 wrote:
It's still YouTube's choice what they host on their servers. As you said, they're not being forced to bring the videos down. They're doing it out of their own will. OUR rights aren't being violated. YouTube is just giving up THEIR rights.

No, it is still our rights that are being violated. You agreed to YouTube's TOS when you upload videos. If you do not violate the TOS, then youtube agrees to host your video. You enter an agreement with them when you upload your videos. So no, youtube can't just randomly pull videos.
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

No, it is still our rights that are being violated. You agreed to YouTube's TOS when you upload videos. If you do not violate the TOS, then youtube agrees to host your video. You enter an agreement with them when you upload your videos. So no, youtube can't just randomly pull videos.

"You entered into an agreement with Mr. Niska, there is NO mind changing"
foamy3 wrote:
Okay, then I was wrong about the legality. I'm sure you know more about it than me. I'm still on YouTube's side for this, though.

Which is why I see more and more people switching to Vimeo; They don't remove videos on the whim of the **AA and provide much more space and quality for hosted vids than YouTube does.
elfprince13 wrote:
"You entered into an agreement with Mr. Niska, there is NO mind changing"

Darn. *kicks into engine*

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours