Which domain?
www.eeems.webs.com
 100%  [ 4 ]
www.freewebs.eeems.com
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

I just created a new website (here) and its not that bad, but then I added then sidebar feature. Now the format is messed up and the sidebar (which works beautifully in the template editor) is below all the content boxes, and the footer gets pushed over to the side. The nice thing is the site will let you edit the HTML directly, but I don't know HTML worth squat. If you have the time take a look at the source. If you can find the problem please let me know the code changes I should make Smile
also if you have any ideas to make it look better just let me know.by the way, which domain is better?
www.eeems.webs.com
or
www.freewebs/eeems.com
I personally like the first, but i want to know what the general consensus is about it.
I'm not good at fixing other people's sites' bugs but how about you try this?

Find:

Code:
    <div id="fw-blockContainer">

<div id="fw-bigcontain">

Replace With:

Code:
    <div id="fw-blockContainer" style="float:left">

<div id="fw-bigcontain" style="float:left">

Find:

Code:
      </div>

<div id="fw-sidebar">

Replace with:

Code:
      </div>

<div id="fw-sidebar" style="float:right">
apparently if I downgrade I can't revert back, so I'm going to keep it the way it is for now, but thanks for giving me the help. If I ever learn HTML enough I'll change it, but for now I'll keep it the same, of course I could make another site and just play around with that for a while, then when I figure everything out I'll make it my main one. so yeah I'll do that.
Ah yeah, that's right. Freewebs/Webs is weird that way. Anywho, I'm glad to see a new site in the community and I hope to see it grow to Cemetechian proportions. Give Kerm a run for his money! Evil or Very Mad

Good luck with EMP and I can't wait to see what sorts of awesome projects you create Smile
Thanks, by the way, did you vote on the domain name yet? and I looked at the HTML and it didn't work when I changed it.
here is the test site
do you know any better sites I could go with for making my site? wow that sounded kinda weird
Ah, truly sorry. As I said, I'm not all too great with debugging others' sites. Hopefully Kerm or someone can help ^^;;

I'll go vote right now on the domain, though.

As for other hosting sites, I can't really help you there =/
Eeems wrote:
Thanks, by the way, did you vote on the domain name yet? and I looked at the HTML and it didn't work when I changed it.
here is the test site
do you know any better sites I could go with for making my site? wow that sounded kinda weird
In my opinion you're much better off just learning HTML and CSS to some useable extent rather than stumbling around with WYSIWYG editors that are just going to give you bloated, unoptimized, hard-to-maintain code.
KermMartian wrote:
Eeems wrote:
here is the test site
In my opinion you're much better off just learning HTML and CSS to some useable extent rather than stumbling around with WYSIWYG editors that are just going to give you bloated, unoptimized, hard-to-maintain code.

I agree there, www.w3schools.com is a good place to start. Its where I learned html and css so yeah.
Edit: and it appears to have been recently updated which is a plus IMO, no more incorrect information about browser support.
thanks I was planning to learn, but I've had a lot on my plate recently, so I was just going to rely on the editor until I knew HTML myself. but yeah I'll look into the tutorials, thanks
EDIT: I've began to look through the tutorials, and I am thinking of switching my site over to some free site space that my dad has with our internet provider, but keep certain parts where they are (the wiki) and I am switching where my forum is, so that might be the main part. Here is the Forum, so go ahead and sign up if you want.
Things that are good: the pic in the header is fairly nice
Things to fix: Please please shrink the pic. And a blinking register link is so 1992.
I was going to shrink it just haven't had the time yet and the blinking thing is default
Eeems wrote:
I was going to shrink it just haven't had the time yet and the blinking thing is default
Ah, ok, that's fair. Default blinking is no excuse for it still being there though. Very Happy
Haven't found a good replacement yet
Edit: anybody have any good menu buttons? I don't really have the time to make any and mine are kind of patchwork right now.
@Kerm, I fixed up the header pic what do you think?
Eeems wrote:
Haven't found a good replacement yet
Edit: anybody have any good menu buttons? I don't really have the time to make any and mine are kind of patchwork right now.
@Kerm, I fixed up the header pic what do you think?
Much better, although that green should be teal like the rest of it.
which green?
Eeems wrote:
which green?
The green in Home / Members / etc etc. There's no reason for it to be green when all your other non-grayscale text is that particular shade of turquoise or teal or whatever Smile
I don't see it at all, in either browsers (IE and FF)
EDIT: in fact, I don't even see any green text in any way in IE because I'm not logged in, in FF I see it in the chatbox, but that's all
Just thought I'd let you know, I think you misunderstand how the domain name works. eeems.webs.com is a free subdomain (webs.com is the main domain, with eems being one of many subdomains). freewebs.eeems.com, on the other hand, would be a paid domain name of eeems.com (you would have to pay an annual fee for it) and then, for some reason, you wrote that you would use a subdomain on your own domain name called freewebs, which is unnecessary.

If you'd like any of this clarified, just ask.
no no no, freewebs and webs are both free, it costs to exclude them. in fact webs use to be freewebs. the first time I registered it was freewebs.eeems.com I had to change it to the other free one eeems.webs.com and as I have posted recently I'm changing sites, this is the new one, its way better for forum support.
Eeems wrote:
I don't see it at all, in either browsers (IE and FF)
EDIT: in fact, I don't even see any green text in any way in IE because I'm not logged in, in FF I see it in the chatbox, but that's all
Can someone please verify that I'm not hallucinating? I'm using Fx3 on WinXP and Vista.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours