If you've been living under a rock but somehow know how to use a computer all of a sudden:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_financial_crisis_of_2008

It just keeps getting better and better.

What I love best about this is that the rest of the World was doing everything right, but now our ignorance and laziness could quite realistically destroy them all. Now instead of just America dying, the entire fucking world could go under. And they didn't even do anything wrong! It was all our Republican government, and our unwillingness to act against them. They said giving money to rich people and corporations would somehow make everyone richer. Liberals said it would be the end of the world. Now the world could literally end. Oh sweet, sweet irony...

Why so serious? Smile
DShiznit wrote:
What I love best about this is that the rest of the World was doing everything right

No they weren't.

Quote:
but now our ignorance and laziness could quite realistically destroy them all.

Laziness has nothing to do with this "crisis". Neither does ignorance for that matter.

Quote:
Now instead of just America dying, the entire <font color=red>censored</font> world could go under.

No it can't.

Quote:
And they didn't even do anything wrong!

Yes they did.

Quote:
It was all our Republican government

No it wasn't.

Quote:
and our unwillingness to act against them.

Again, no, it wasn't.

Quote:
They said giving money to rich people and corporations would somehow make everyone richer.

Its called trickle-down theory, and it doesn't apply at all to this "crisis".

Quote:
Liberals said it would be the end of the world.

No they didn't.

Quote:
Now the world could literally end.

No it won't.

Quote:
Oh sweet, sweet irony...

Even if your above statements were true (which they aren't), it wouldn't be irony.

Quote:
Why so serious? Smile

Why so ignorant?
You know, DShiznit's jokes annoy me, but at least his serious posts make me laugh. Smile

And by the way, nice burn.
On a related note, Iceland has, in less than a year, gone from being the most desirable country to live in to completely bankrupt and without a functioning government.
Joking aside, can we now have a serious discussion about this? Like, what should the world governments do?
I love how when you type in 'latest financial crisis in usa' to google you get www.the-end.com. It's good to know mass hysteria hasn't set in yet...
Didn't those same people say the same shit back in 1999 about Y2K?
DShiznit wrote:
Didn't those same people say the same <font color=red>censored</font> back in 1999 about Y2K?
I wouldn't go as far as to say that, I wonder what they have to say about 12/21/12 Laughing - I plan to get married on that day! Rolling Eyes
That would be the most awesome wedding ever. You kiss, as the asteroid slams down behind you two and creates a huge shockwave that quickly spreads, wiping out whole cities as it moves closer and closer, until it wipes out you and your wife who are still kissing, and everyone gathered together to witness it...
DShiznit wrote:
That would be the most awesome wedding ever. You kiss, as the asteroid slams down behind you two and creates a huge shockwave that quickly spreads, wiping out whole cities as it moves closer and closer, until it wipes out you and your wife who are still kissing, and everyone gathered together to witness it...

You've watched wayyy to many movies.
Didn't somebody say we were off topic?

rawful
[/quote]
It's because DShiznit, as his name indicates, rides the failbus.
Yeah, speaking of Y2K, that really gets on my nerves.
I've never understood why the idiots didn't just set their encrusted computer clocks forward by a few years so they could check?? Or just ask the programmers, "Hey, will X software work with four digit dates? If not, can I have the update? Thank you."

I mean, seriously, if you want to know if the computer will break, just try setting the date forward! I really don't see why there had to be such a big deal. I remember my dad telling me on new years eve 1999 all about how they had a submarine "parked" on the international date line so that one half would be in 2000 and one half would be in 1999, so that they could stay in the 1999 half and watch the 2000 half to see if it asploded.
I know there is no way that that's true, but the fact that anyone could believe that drives me nuts!

Also, you know what else? I remember how after nothing bad happened, the news stations and fear mongers were saying, "Oh, well, just because it didn't happen right then, doesn't mean it won't happen in a few months!" How could that even happen? The "y2k plus a few months bug"?

The whole thing was just soooooo stupid.
jbr wrote:
Yeah, speaking of Y2K, that really gets on my nerves.
I've never understood why the idiots didn't just set their encrusted computer clocks forward by a few years so they could check?? Or just ask the programmers, "Hey, will X software work with four digit dates? If not, can I have the update? Thank you."

I mean, seriously, if you want to know if the computer will break, just try setting the date forward!

Rolling Eyes They *DID* set the clocks forward, and things broke. Also, programmers were the ones that pointed out that its going to break. Hence the panic/hysteria.

It wasn't a major problem because most things don't really rely on an accurate date to function.

Quote:
The whole thing was just soooooo stupid.

The panic, yes, the bug, no. The bug was very much real, it just didn't really matter.

Someone should rename this "The fail thread of retardation" Rolling Eyes
I'm not talking about the crusted date sort function in the windows 3.1 file manager here, I'm talking about everyone and their own personal home computers.
Sure, the banks should upgrade their software, but they should be doing that anyway!
What I'm saying is why were all kinds of crazy people running around and shouting about how they were all going to lose their electricity and have to live underground.
I mean, explain to me why people thought the power would go out? Even if there was some small chance that a bad date could mess up the generators or whatever, why didn't the encrusted power company just set its clocks forward, verify that there is no problem, and then TELL EVERYONE.

And I don't mean "Why didn't people who know about computer programming complain about short date crust" I mean why didn't people just take responsibility for their own software and just explain what would work and what wouldn't, and publicize it properly, so there wouldn't be this huge mystery?
elfprince13 wrote:
On a related note, Iceland has, in less than a year, gone from being the most desirable country to live in to completely bankrupt and without a functioning government.
And indeed, one of my friends and several others of my classmates are going there thsi summer for a research project, and it's apparently dirt-cheap relative to the value of the dollar now.
jbr wrote:
Even if there was some small chance that a bad date could mess up the generators or whatever, why didn't the encrusted power company just set its clocks forward, verify that there is no problem, and then TELL EVERYONE.

What part of "THEY DID AND SHIT BROKE" do you not understand?

Quote:
And I don't mean "Why didn't people who know about computer programming complain about short date crust" I mean why didn't people just take responsibility for their own software and just explain what would work and what wouldn't, and publicize it properly, so there wouldn't be this huge mystery?

They *DID*, hence the panic. There *WAS* disclosure, and people panicked. There wasn't any mystery about Y2k.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours