DShiznit wrote:
16. And take it easy on me, I has brain damage... or a spinal fluid leak... or some such bullshit.

I'm not going to take it easy on you if you don't even try to act appropriately. You're a tool.
KeithJohansen wrote:
What's mature or intelligent about swearing? Profanity subtracts from the integrity of a thread. Who here wants to participate in a discussion when every third word is "<censored>"?
Not me. Message Boards should be civil, and welcoming to all. Coarse language and/or frequent word censors are not welcoming...
DShiznit wrote:
How about we drop the filter entirely since we're all mature, intelligent adults here? Or just go back to <censored>?
Apparently not. Very Happy And no, we're not at all all mature intelligent adults; there's a wide variety of age groups.
KeithJohansen wrote:
What's mature or intelligent about swearing? Profanity subtracts from the integrity of a thread. Who here wants to participate in a discussion when every third word is "<censored>"?

Yet censorship is just as immature as excessive profanity.

Profanity has its place, which is why on occasion I bypass the filter so that I can fully express my thoughts.
And I don't have a problem with that. That is mature, adult profanity. What he does is completely different and should just be completely ignored, hence my suggestion of just removing it. If he can't say it without being a moron, why should anyone listen?
I don't curse excessively, believe me, I've heard excessive cursing. It's not even funny, it's just stupid and annoying. I guess if you don't live out near Philly you wouldn't be exposed to such profanity, so I guess I can understand if you think I curse excessively. Trust me though, it can get a lot worse...
DShiznit wrote:
I don't curse excessively, believe me, I've heard excessive cursing. It's not even funny, it's just stupid and annoying. I guess if you don't live out near Philly you wouldn't be exposed to such profanity, so I guess I can understand if you think I curse excessively. Trust me though, it can get a lot worse...

Just because it can be worse doesn't mean you aren't excessive. You definitely curse excessively.
DShiznit wrote:

Ugh. When it comes to what is socially acceptable, the popular opinion is always right. If (almost) everyone in our culture wants to decide that it is ok to curse as often as you do, it will be ok. But unless they do (and therefore as long as they say it is wrong) it won't be.

Although you did bring up an interesting point about geographically variable culture (and therefore variable social norms) I will point out that this is "family friendly" internet zone, not Philly or anywhere else, so what is acceptable here once again has to be defined by us. So basically, if you don't act like everyone else here, you will be the abnormal one.

Also, I always pictured you being from Alaska for some reason. I think it originated from that whole thing about truck drivers making more money... But why do I associate truck drivers with Alaska?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours