Eeems wrote:
yeah but what happens if the climate/ecosystem goes back to the way it was before? then they'll change back and nothing will come from the change...

that is also evolution Wink

Eeems wrote:
anyways we cant prove evolutions existence because we haven't ever seen it happen, we have seen adaptation but not full scale evolution from one species to another

I would argue that we have seen full scale evolution in domesticated dogs. I'm fairly sure that this

won't interbreed with this:

another example being the development of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
i think that they will but there will be lots of problems, and yes there is the bacteria thing, but its still the same bacteria, just a little bit different
Eeems wrote:
i think that they will but there will be lots of problems

the same can be said of a horse and a zebra, or a camel and a llama, or even a lion and a tiger. But it doesn't happen naturally, and no one would argue that they are the same species. For the record Saint Berdoodles do exist (you can google them), but so do Zorses, Camas and Ligers.

Eeems wrote:
and yes there is the bacteria thing, but its still the same bacteria, just a little bit different

I'm not going to argue that humans evolved from chimps, because I don't believe that to be true. But we share 95% of our genome with them.

[edit]
split naow.
I officially declare Eems a moron. Even I won't touch this.
wow that's rude. how would u like it if someone did that to u? by the way, why am i a moron??
Eeems wrote:
wow that's rude. how would u like it if someone did that to u? by the way, why am i a moron??

Wow, that's rude. How would you like it if someone did that to you? By the way, why am I a moron?
Eeems wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
You are so retarded it's not even funny. Evolution does have holes, but every other proposed theory either is a great big giant hole, or is complete lunacy. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

its just evolutions got more than most, and the bible isn't a theory, its got too much evidence to prove it, especially because it corresponds with so many other beliefs of ancient races.
sorry im not trying to push my beliefs on you or anything
Have you ever seen a newly born Zebra with Horizontal Stripes? And don't pull "the grass doesn't grow horizontally" on me. That happened today in my English class - of all classes, right? If Zebra's stipes were to help them camouflage in with the grass, the animal itself wouldn't be a high-contrasty black & white.

Eeems wrote:
yeah but what happens if the climate/ecosystem goes back to the way it was before? then they'll change back and nothing will come from the change... anyways we cant prove evolutions existence because we haven't ever seen it happen, we have seen adaptation but not full scale evolution from one species to another

EDIT: yeah we should probably stop because we are beginning to go in circles.
Yes we can. How did those dogs elf posted become different? Did they just "pop" into existence that way? Take a look a Darwin and the Galapagos islands; The turtles were different on each island.

If animals do just "pop" into existence, then why haven't any animals done so in recorded history?
allynfolksjr wrote:
Eeems wrote:

Wow, that's rude. How would you like it if someone did that to you? By the way, why am I a moron?

what a childish thing to do
You're arguing with a bible-thumper who ignores science and reason. Just ignore him, since you aren't going to get anywhere with it.
Eeems wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Eeems wrote:

what a childish thing to do
Eems, you just have to ignore him. He has nothing to add, and has succeeded in getting a negative reaction. Let it go. Your only feeding his cause.
Oh, boy. It is only a matter of time before this thread decends into utter chaos. I fail to see why moderators never just save themselves from future trouble, and lock threads of this subject on sight.
Eeems wrote:
He's a troll, ignore the troll and focus on the intellectual arguments. Razz
thanks Kerm
KermMartian wrote:
Eeems wrote:

Impossible, because he's a religious nut. There is no intellectual capability there.
allynfolksjr wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Eeems wrote:

Impossible, because he's a religious nut. There is no intellectual capability there.
OK, I'll feed the troll once. Only once.

Yes, I consider him "wrong", because I feel that the support for my opinion and argument is better-founded, stronger, and more substantial than the support for his argument. However, that doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to explain why he holds his opinion, nor does it mean that I don't have the right to try to counter his arguments with my own facts and opinions.
Eeems wrote:
almost every ancient culture on earth has a flood story. so that has to be true.

What. The. Fuck.

Are you serious? Honestly? Ancient cultures also believed that the sun was some guy in a flaming chariot rode across the sky, yet that quite obviously isn't true.

Popular belief and truth very rarely go hand in hand.

Regardless, in this case it is because ancient cultures stole from each other to gain acceptance among the majority. Just about all modern Catholic and Jewish beliefs can be traced back to even older religions, INCLUDING Jesus and the virgin birth. http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/virgin.html#pagan

Quote:
also if you dig down enough like they have in some ancient cities there will be a layer of water smoothed earth, then more of the city.

Yes, floods are quite common, what is your point? There was no "noah's ark" with 2 of every animal like the bible said, but there were floods.

Quote:
and dinosaurs do not completely destroy the bible because before the flood creatures would have grown to be bigger than they are now because of the perfect climate at the time.

Bwahahahahaha. Perfect climate my ass. I'll give you a hint. The climate of the Earth is cyclic. There was never a "perfect climate" on the Earth. Hell, 20,000 years ago was the peak of an ice age for crying out loud.

Regardless, the climate has no effect on the size of the creature. The Woolly mammoth, for example, thrived in the harsh cold environments of north american and eurasia (including siberia) during the ice age.

Quote:
also the bible cant be a work of fiction because of how well it corresponds with other historical texts.

Again, that is far from being evidence of anything, much less proof. Ancient texts are filled with random crap that we know isn't true, the bible just happens to be the single ancient text that nut jubs believe is factually accurate. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
then there is the dust on the moon thing that scientists said would completely disprove creation, what happened then? the dust proved that the world was around 6 thousand years old, not a few million

Nice try, but no, not even close. Hell, the Hebrews have been around for longer than 6 thousand years, much less the Earth.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/geotime/age.html
Quote:
The best age for the Earth comes not from dating individual rocks but by considering the Earth and meteorites as part of the same evolving system in which the isotopic composition of lead, specifically the ratio of lead-207 to lead-206 changes over time owing to the decay of radioactive uranium-235 and uranium-238, respectively. Scientists have used this approach to determine the time required for the isotopes in the Earth's oldest lead ores, of which there are only a few, to evolve from its primordial composition, as measured in uranium-free phases of iron meteorites, to its compositions at the time these lead ores separated from their mantle reservoirs. These calculations result in an age for the Earth and meteorites, and hence the Solar System, of 4.54 billion years with an uncertainty of less than 1 percent.

Rocks on the Earth, rocks from the moon, and rocks from meteorites that crash on the earth can all be dated to around 4.5 billion years old. Yes, Billion.

Quote:
yeah but what happens if the climate/ecosystem goes back to the way it was before? then they'll change back and nothing will come from the change... anyways we cant prove evolutions existence because we haven't ever seen it happen, we have seen adaptation but not full scale evolution from one species to another

Uh, no, they wouldn't, there would be no beneficial reason for the "old" species over the "new" one. Since the "old" species has already died out, only the "new" would remain to continue reproduction, thus only the "new" would survive (and thus evolution). Also, by your own logic, god can't exist since you can't see it. Of course, you also can't see gravity, or wind, or magnetic fields. Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
Eeems wrote:
almost every ancient culture on earth has a flood story. so that has to be true.

What. The. Fuck.

Are you serious? Honestly? Ancient cultures also believed that the sun was some guy in a flaming chariot rode across the sky, yet that quite obviously isn't true.

Popular belief and truth very rarely go hand in hand.

Regardless, in this case it is because ancient cultures stole from each other to gain acceptance among the majority. Just about all modern Catholic and Jewish beliefs can be traced back to even older religions, INCLUDING Jesus and the virgin birth. http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/virgin.html#pagan

Quote:
also if you dig down enough like they have in some ancient cities there will be a layer of water smoothed earth, then more of the city.

Yes, floods are quite common, what is your point? There was no "noah's ark" with 2 of every animal like the bible said, but there were floods.

Quote:
and dinosaurs do not completely destroy the bible because before the flood creatures would have grown to be bigger than they are now because of the perfect climate at the time.

Bwahahahahaha. Perfect climate my ass. I'll give you a hint. The climate of the Earth is cyclic. There was never a "perfect climate" on the Earth. Hell, 20,000 years ago was the peak of an ice age for crying out loud.

Regardless, the climate has no effect on the size of the creature. The Woolly mammoth, for example, thrived in the harsh cold environments of north american and eurasia (including siberia) during the ice age.

Quote:
also the bible cant be a work of fiction because of how well it corresponds with other historical texts.

Again, that is far from being evidence of anything, much less proof. Ancient texts are filled with random crap that we know isn't true, the bible just happens to be the single ancient text that nut jubs believe is factually accurate. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
then there is the dust on the moon thing that scientists said would completely disprove creation, what happened then? the dust proved that the world was around 6 thousand years old, not a few million

Nice try, but no, not even close. Hell, the Hebrews have been around for longer than 6 thousand years, much less the Earth.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/geotime/age.html
Quote:
The best age for the Earth comes not from dating individual rocks but by considering the Earth and meteorites as part of the same evolving system in which the isotopic composition of lead, specifically the ratio of lead-207 to lead-206 changes over time owing to the decay of radioactive uranium-235 and uranium-238, respectively. Scientists have used this approach to determine the time required for the isotopes in the Earth's oldest lead ores, of which there are only a few, to evolve from its primordial composition, as measured in uranium-free phases of iron meteorites, to its compositions at the time these lead ores separated from their mantle reservoirs. These calculations result in an age for the Earth and meteorites, and hence the Solar System, of 4.54 billion years with an uncertainty of less than 1 percent.

Rocks on the Earth, rocks from the moon, and rocks from meteorites that crash on the earth can all be dated to around 4.5 billion years old. Yes, Billion.

Quote:

Uh, no, they wouldn't, there would be no beneficial reason for the "old" species over the "new" one. Since the "old" species has already died out, only the "new" would remain to continue reproduction, thus only the "new" would survive (and thus evolution). Also, by your own logic, god can't exist since you can't see it. Of course, you also can't see gravity, or wind, or magnetic fields. Rolling Eyes

Q.F.T.

Most people don't realize the degree to which Christianity borrows from other religions. For example, Horus, the son of the egyptian god Ra. Horus was born of a virgin on December 25th, laid in a manger, his birth was announced by a star in the East, he had 12 disciples and performed miracles like walking on water, was crucified, buried, and resurrected.

Oh yeah, and this was written 3000 years before Jesus was born.
Quote:
Just about all modern Catholic and Jewish beliefs can be traced back to even older religions

You realize Abraham, the father of the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim religious traditions, was Chaldean, right?
Kllrnohj before the flood the climate on the earth was always the same it didn't cycle,
why does everybody try to disprove my stuff with modern examples??
I'm talking about before the earth was the way it is
Eeems wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Eeems wrote:
its just evolutions got more than most, and the bible isn't a theory, its got too much evidence to prove it, especially because it corresponds with so many other beliefs of ancient races.
sorry im not trying to push my beliefs on you or anything

Correct, the bible isn't a theory, its a WORK OF FICTION. Not a single thing in the bible has turned out to be true - not one. There is *NO* evidence to support adam and eve or the way the bible says it. Hell, the way the bible says it has long since been *proven wrong*. The dinosaurs pretty much single handedly completely demolish the way the bible describes it. Also, the bible corresponds with other ancient beliefs because it was TAKEN from other ancient beliefs. All modern religious holidays were chosen to take place around pagan holidays.

Oh, and GRAVITY IS ALSO "JUST A THEORY" Trying to say that the theory of evolution shouldn't be believe because its just a "theory" just shows how little you know about scientific process Rolling Eyes

And what are these "holes" in the theory of evolution?

almost every ancient culture on earth has a flood story. so that has to be true. also if you dig down enough like they have in some ancient cities there will be a layer of water smoothed earth, then more of the city. and dinosaurs do not completely destroy the bible because before the flood creatures would have grown to be bigger than they are now because of the perfect climate at the time. the holidays are the fault of the catholic church who were trying to get rid of the pagan beliefs. also the bible cant be a work of fiction because of how well it corresponds with other historical texts. also many other of the ancient beliefs came after the Jewish beliefs. the Greeks are a new culture compared to the Jews. the new testament on the other hand was written by separate people and in separate places, mostly as letters to the wrest of the church, yet they all work together. then there is the dust on the moon thing that scientists said would completely disprove creation, what happened then? the dust proved that the world was around 6 thousand years old, not a few million

1.) what proof do you have that most "ancient cultures" have a flood story? Let me put it this way. Lets assume there WAS a flood. either a.) it flooded a small, local area. The story then spreads by word of mouth to these "ancient cultures". or b.) it floods nearly every pocket of the world. B.) assumes that virtually every corner of the earth was at some point in time, completely covered in water at once. Given the scientific improbability of b due to the finite amount of water in our earth system, we would have to conclude that a) is true. Ok, so some village got flooded, and people talked about it. What significance does that have? How does that make that a truth?

2.) Call me closed minded, but what is this mythical "moon dust" which seeks to disprove modern forms of dating (as in carbon-dating, not the other kind)? Give me a legit link. Christian Science Monitor dosent count.

3.) About your argument that all these books line up; communication, common fables, myths, etc...

religion is not a code of conduct. religion is a promise that if you follow some stated code of conduct, you will be rewarded. Your faith in the likelihood that you'll be rewarded is, well, your faith in religion... thus, faith cannot be overcome by scientific reasoning; the basis is religion is faith, trust in some divine power, or blind faith in an ancient lie... science seeks an answer to everything, and "god" isn't one of them. Science simply tends to side with a passive or non-existant god. Of course, lets say there IS a god. If science proved his/her existence, then the whole point of faith/ religion would be gone. So this "god" would naturally seek to prevent such an act (as in pastafarianism). I realize I sound like a bumbling moron, but science can never prove that there is a god.

No amount of evidence can overcome faith; I applaud your belief in God, something that I personally have failed to accomplish.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 21
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours