Okay, just recently I had a problem with my computer. I was downloading a 56MB driver for my ZBoard Merc. While it was downloading I was also attempting to compile a map I've been working on for quite some time now. After that failed I went back to programming and working on my site. All of a sudden out of no where I get hundreds (I heard the bubble sound about hundred times, no joke) about a delayed write and that all the data that was trying to be written to my F drive (my external harddrive, its where I point Mozilla to when ever I download anything important or common). Then it started flipping out about USB connections. All this happened so fast that I couldn't even get a glimpse on any of the bubbles (except for the one talking about the delayed write because it came up so many times that I could read it >.>). I restarted my computer when I found I couldn't get anything to work and then for some reason my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. The first time I turned it back on the keyboard and mouse had their lights on (signaling that they were in-fact plugged in and receiving power from the computer) but they still wouldn't work. After it finished loading the desktop I still couldn't get the mouse or keyboard to work. I finally pressed my power button again to initiate a shutdown and then turned it back on. This time I didn't get any lights at all on the keyboard or mouse. I let it go all the way to the desktop again and then restarted it. After fiddling around with the connections I found that its not recognizing anything being plugged in to the front or the rear USB hubs on my desktop. For some reason when I plug something in I'm not getting the confirmation sound that it was plugged in, no lights are turning on, and when I unplug it there are no sounds either.

However, about thirty seconds ago my brother turned over my mouse to play around with the little weight cartridge (it slides in and out of the bottom for customizable mouse weight) and the border of it always lights up in red when you plug it in. For some reason that was lit up and nothing else was. My little brother is messing around with it (blowing on the ends and plugging it in to different USB ports, like I've already tried) and nothing is working...

Any ideas? I'm really hoping the answer isn't something unfixable... I don't have the money for a new computer... Mad
USB is optional anyway. Just use serial ports for data transfers.
USB used to be optional... But not when you're using USB keyboard and mouse...

I tried plugging my serial keyboard and mouse in and then the computer wouldn't even boot up!

It just sat there with the lights on and the fans running. Then I unplugged them and tried again and it finally turned on...

This is getting to be ridiculous... I seriously think my motherboard is dieing...
Where did you download the driver from? I'd do a Google search about the website and see if anybody else had similar problems downloading the same driver - or any others.

Worst case scenario, you got a virus. Cause that's what it sounds like. Disconnect your computer from the internet when you turn it on so the virus - if it is infact one - can't transmit data.

Quote:
There are USB-to-Serial port adapters.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Quote:

*cough* *cough* ... >.>

swivelgames wrote:
I tried plugging my serial keyboard and mouse in and then the computer wouldn't even boot up!

I can assure you its not a virus.

1) Its from the ZBoard website
2) It was in the process of downloading, it didn't fully download
3) Its having problems when I first turn it on, not when Windows loads, but when it first boots up.
4) No power is even being transmitted to any of the USB ports and anything plugged in to the serial ports will keep the computer from booting completely.

Its a problem with the hardware, I can assure you of that. Unless somehow the virus managed to execute itself before the download was finished and some how penetrated my BIOS... all with in the 5 minutes the download started...

Besides, I just got done wiping out my computer and reinstalling Windows, there's no way I have a virus already...
swivelgames wrote:
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Quote:

*cough* *cough* ... >.>

swivelgames wrote:
I know, I read that; I guess I didn't quite piece 1 & 1 together at first, haha.

swivelgames wrote:
I can assure you its not a virus.

1) Its from the ZBoard website
2) It was in the process of downloading, it didn't fully download
3) Its having problems when I first turn it on, not when Windows loads, but when it first boots up.
4) No power is even being transmitted to any of the USB ports and anything plugged in to the serial ports will keep the computer from booting completely.

Its a problem with the hardware, I can assure you of that. Unless somehow the virus managed to execute itself before the download was finished and some how penetrated my BIOS... all with in the 5 minutes the download started...

Besides, I just got done wiping out my computer and reinstalling Windows, there's no way I have a virus already...
The only exp. I have with a motherboard failure, is upon boot-up my computer fitzed then shut down for good. I assume it could be the motherboard though.

One of my friends probably set the fastest record of obtaining a virus - 30mins after it was out of the box and turned on... He's not the most computer/tech savvy person and is obsessed with watching his Anime at any means... Rolling Eyes
lol, seems like a great guy...

I have a feeling its either my power supply or my motherboard. I really hope its not my motherboard but I might try replacing my power supply first...
swivelgames wrote:
0x5, seems like a great guy...,
You have no idea... he's also wrecked, but not totaled, his car twice Evil or Very Mad

swivelgames wrote:
I have a feeling its either my power supply or my motherboard. I really hope its not my motherboard but I might try replacing my power supply first...
If you have another desktop computer in your house, just borrow it's power supply, and save yourself the 40$.

If the USB's get power, then you'll have to spend 40$ on another power supply anyways, other wise the money that would have gone towards a power supply can now be redirected towards a mother board. Wink
I have plenty of computers... Finding a power supply that will work with my problematic desktop is going to be a bit of a challenge though. I was planning on trying out my other power supplies though, heh. If I have to spend my money on getting a new motherboard I'm probably just going to stick with taking turns on my little brother's computer and save up for a new laptop or something...

some18kanal0n3 wrote:
swivelgames wrote:
0x5, seems like a great guy...,
You have no idea... he's also wrecked, but not totaled, his car twice Evil or Very Mad

Ahaha
You be fuxx0rezed. If its under warranty, send in your motherboard. If it isn't, buy a new one - they are only like $40-60 for a super cheap one that'll at least last until you can buy a good one.
I'm really confused as to why its only the USB and Serial ports that are affected. Everything else is working perfectly fine... It boots up fast and everything comes up just like normal, its just the USB and Serial ports that aren't working. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've never seen a motherboard fail like this before Wink

I also can't find a place to buy a replica motherboard. Apparently its an FIC motherboard... KTBC51G

[EDIT]
Never mind, found it... $180 >.>

I think I'm just going to save up to buy a new computer... Probably a laptop...
Sounds like a motherboard failure to me, that sucks. Sad Good luck with this.
Check your jumpers. Sounds stupid, but maybe one came loose and is shorting or something.
Clear the CMOS.

And who cares about finding an identical motherboard? All you need is one with the same CPU socket (easy to find) and enough ports and slots to fit all your crap (also easy). So take a picture of your motherboard or something so we can see what slots are used, and what CPU you have. After that its childs play to find a cheap, most likely better, motherboard to replace it with.

EDIT: Oh, and what kind of system it is would be nice (dell, hp, etc...)
I'm with Kllrnohj on this; it would be stupid to get a whole new computer when all you need is a <$100 motherboard. Or at least if you're totally set on having a new computer, you'll have another working computer for parents or siblings or for use as a server.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours