If this gets started will you help?
Yes
 55%  [ 5 ]
No
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

Might I also suggest making a recent reviews and files area.
Noted and that shouldn't be too hard.
noahbaby94 wrote:
http://www.cemetech.net/archives/ not doing the trick for you? Smile
Another suggestion is to request a review.
noahbaby94 wrote:

Latest reviews is now added.
I am currently trying to add a little bit of ajax to my site but I have run into a problem. Whenever i change the select field by adding on change i get an unexpected t_string error. The original field looks like this
Code:
<select name='article_cat' class='textbox' style='width:250px;'>
$catlist</select>

Whenever i change it to look like this

Code:
<select name='article_cat' class='textbox' style='width:250px;' onChange="getSubCat('subcat.php?

subcat='+this.value)">
$catlist</select>
I get the error. Does anyone know why it would be happening because the error is occurring about 50 lines down the page.
gimme a little bit of context on that code, but I have an idea as to why.
what kind of stuff do you need to know, the source file that i am modding is poorly commented so you would probably need the entire folder to understand it.
lafferjm wrote:
what kind of stuff do you need to know, the source file that i am modding is poorly commented so you would probably need the entire folder to understand it.

I would think that making readable comments would precede adding features...
I know it should, but i downloaded it as an addon and it took me about two hours to figure out what it was doing.

Alright I do not know ajax but here is my attempt at it, and it is not working. Can anyone please point out what i am doing wrong.

submit.php

Code:

echo "<form name='submit_form' method='post' action='".FUSION_SELF."?stype=a' onsubmit='return validateArticle(this);'>\n";
         echo "<table cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' class='center'>\n<tr>\n";
         echo "<td width='100' class='tbl'>".$locale['521']."</td>\n";
         echo "<td class='tbl'><select onChange=\"getSub('findSub.php?sub='+this.value)\" name='article_cat' class='textbox'>\n$cat_list</select></td>\n";
         echo "</tr>\n<tr>\n";
         echo "<td>Subcategory:</td>";
         echo "<td><span id='subcat'><select name='subcat' class='textbox'>";
         echo "<option>Subcategory</option>";
         echo "</select></span></td>\n";
         echo "</tr>";
         echo "<tr>";
         echo "<td class='tbl'>".$locale['522']."</td>\n";
         echo "<td class='tbl'><input type='text' name='article_subject' value='$article_subject' maxlength='64' class='textbox' style='width:300px;' /></td>\n";
         echo "</tr>\n<tr>\n";
         echo "<td valign='top' class='tbl'>".$locale['523']."</td>\n";
         echo "<td class='tbl'><textarea name='article_snippet' cols='60' rows='3' class='textbox' style='width:300px;'>$article_snippet</textarea></td>\n";
         echo "</tr>\n<tr>\n";
         echo "<td valign='top' class='tbl'>".$locale['524']."</td>\n";
         echo "<td class='tbl'><textarea name='article_body' cols='60' rows='8' class='textbox' style='width:300px;'>$article_body</textarea></td>\n";
         echo "</tr>\n<tr>\n";
         echo "<td align='center' colspan='2' class='tbl'><br />\n";
         echo "<input type='checkbox' name='line_breaks' value='yes'".$breaks." />".$locale['525']."<br /><br />\n";
         echo "<input type='submit' name='preview_article' value='".$locale['526']."' class='button' />\n";
         echo "<input type='submit' name='submit_article' value='".$locale['527']."' class='button' />\n</td>\n";
         echo "</tr>\n</table>\n</form>\n";

selectfield.js

Code:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
function getSub(strURL){
   var req=getXMLHTTP()
   if(req) {
      req.onreadystatechange=function(){
         if(req.readyState==4){
         if(req.status==200){
            document.getElementById('subcat').innerHTML=req.responseText;
         }
         else{
            alert("There was a problem while using XMLHTTP:\n");
         }
      }
   }
req.open("GET",strURL,true);
req.send(null);
}
}
</script>

findSub.php

Code:

<?php
require_once "config.php";

$sub=$_GET['sub'];
$link = mysql_connect($db_host,$db_user);
if(!$link){
   die('Could not connect:'.mysql_error());
}
mysql_select_db($db_name);
$query1 = "SELECT article_cat_name FROM fusion_article_cats WHERE article_cat_parent=article_cat_id";
$result = mysql_query($query1);
echo "<select name = 'category'>";
echo "<option>Subcategory</option>";
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
   echo "<option value><?=$row['article_cat_name']</option>"
}
</select>
?>

edit: I think the problem is because when i am using the WHERE clause i need to compare two columns but it won't let me do it like that. Now i just need to figure out how to work around that.

edit2: After i googling for about an hour i think my query is going to have to look similar to this

Code:
SELECT *
FROM fusion_article_cats a, fusion_article_cats b
WHERE a.article_cat_id = b.article_cat_parent
As it turns out it wasn't the query but something else that i am overlooking. I also have to find a way to narrow my query because it returns all the results where the parent matches the child and not just the ones in the first select box. I should be able to solve that relatively easy though.
I have pretty much given up trying to do this myself. Has anyone tried any of the ones in the links or would they recommend one?

http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_AJAX/docs/latest/li_HTML_AJAX.html

http://ajaxpatterns.org/wiki/index.php?title=PHP_Ajax_Frameworks
My favorite for some low-level AJAX is prototype.js, which also has some various other very interesting functions.
That looks pretty cool i think i will try it out. I was trying to use xajax but the documentation on it isn't really that great. I am also glad I stopped trying to "reinvent the wheel" because this libraries seem like they will make my life a whole lot easier.
Well i think i am going to go with xajax. Right now i am working on some code for something similar to saxjax. As soon as i figure out how to add more info to the <div> placeholder all i have to do is add the database information. For those that are interested here is part of the code that allows one message to be posted minus the db.

Code:

<?php
   include '../xajax/xajax_core/xajax.inc.php';

$xajax = new xajax();

$xajax->registerFunction("writeTxt");

function writeTxt($string) {
      $content = $string;

$objResponse = new xajaxResponse();

$objResponse->assign("messageTxt","innerHTML",$content);

return $objResponse;
   }

$xajax->processRequest();

$xajax_js = $xajax->getJavascript('/xajax');
?>
<html>
<head>
<title>Message</title>
<?php echo $xajax_js; ?>
</head>
<body>
<form name="testform" id="testform" method="post">
<input type="text" name="message" id="message" />
<input type="button" onclick="xajax_writeTxt(xajax.$('message').value);" value="Send" />
</form>
<div id="messageTxt">Please enter a message</div>
</body>
</html>

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours