ok, so I used to love FileZilla, cause compared to any of the other Windows FTP clients I've used, its majorly pwny, and the Linux port is even nicer than any of the Linux ftp clients I've used (though feel free to point me towards some better ones). Anyway, I just started using Cyberduck on OS X, and it blows any other client I've ever used out of the water in terms of ease of use, especially for big projects where you can group files in the download manager and hit "Reload" for the whole batch to be uploaded at once. Why on earth aren't there FTP clients like this for windows?
No clue but something like that would be a huge hit if it were to be released for Windows or Linux! Smile

I'd sure like to have it! I've been looking for something like that for a while! Its got WebDAV too Very Happy

I need something to syncronize my files back and forth between my server. Even something like an Eclipse extension would suffice on my end. I saw something about Remote Development for Eclipse but didn't see much that would help me out in my situation.

But yeah, that sounds cool. I did a little bit of research on Cyberduck and it looked nice Smile

I'm so sick of Windows FTP clients though, they get on my nerves Wink

SmartFTP was okay for a while, but got annoying sometimes, FileZilla is great, but a bit too simple. And any other significant clients have a price tag on them Sad
Notepad++ and Crimson Editor have integrated FTP.
This is true, but I don't really like how it works...

Sure you can work on files and then upload them, but I really like how Eclipse handles my projects. I'd like to see a multi-user project management tool with integrated ftp and webdav capabilities Very Happy
Yeah for FTP I usually use a combination FileZilla, Notepad++ and FireFtp. None of them are perfect but they get the job done. I agree that we really need a good windows FTP client because even the windows built in one blows hard core.
I used to swear by i.FTP, but it's gotten completely unstable to the point where it crashes instantly if you update a remote file with another thing like an SSH session. Now I rely almost solely on FileZilla, which I've had excellent luck with.
I use winscp for all of my remote file needs, and I think it works just fine. What's so special about all these other programs?
Personally I think they're a lot better. I was talking with Thomas a bit the other day after he posted this about WinSCP and decided to actually use it until I understood exactly what he was saying about how it sucked. lol.

FileZilla, you should check it out Wink
jbr wrote:
I use winscp for all of my remote file needs, and I think it works just fine. What's so special about all these other programs?

convenience. "just working"
In Windows I use FileZilla, in Linux I just use Nautilus. Things like remote updating aren't useful to me (for things like that I use SVN). All I really *need* out of an FTP client is speed. It better be fast. That is by far the biggest problem with the built in Windows FTP client - it is incredibly slow (that, and no SFTP afaik)

As for the Cyberduck "reload" bulk updater - how is that any different from just dragging the folder over? Doesn't sound all that special, or anything that 99% of the FTP clients out there couldn't do.
Kllrnohj wrote:
In Windows I use FileZilla, in Linux I just use Nautilus. Things like remote updating aren't useful to me (for things like that I use SVN). All I really *need* out of an FTP client is speed. It better be fast. That is by far the biggest problem with the built in Windows FTP client - it is incredibly slow (that, and no SFTP afaik)

As for the Cyberduck "reload" bulk updater - how is that any different from just dragging the folder over? Doesn't sound all that special, or anything that 99% of the FTP clients out there couldn't do.

because you can have specific files, not necessarily all in the same folder.
Oh yeah, I used SFTP pretty extensively too on my non-Cemetech servers, so that's an important feature in my clients, and thus far I've found FileZilla to be quite admirably up to task.
I need to check if OS X's integrated FTP client supports sftp. I think its only in this release that it finally supports writing to servers. its greating for quickly browsing + downloading from FTP repositories, but not for maintaining a website.
elfprince13 wrote:
I need to check if OS X's integrated FTP client supports sftp. I think its only in this release that it finally supports writing to servers. its greating for quickly browsing + downloading from FTP repositories, but not for maintaining a website.
Ugh, OS X. Sad Actually, let me not knock only OS, the Windows built-in FTP client is despicable as well.
elfprince13 wrote:
because you can have specific files, not necessarily all in the same folder.

Yeah, but in the case of a website you tend to work on a single subset of files, and then upload those before moving on to the next. I still cannot envision a reason to upload files from several different folders at once that aren't contained in the same parent folder. For FileZilla I simply tell it to ignore files that have the same timestamp and upload my entire site folder. Bam, same thing (that was also way easier to do since that is one of the options FileZilla pops up with when it encounters duplicates Wink )
right now I'm uploading the stylesheet, and whatever page I'm working on every 2 minutes or so, and the index + header every 15 or so.
elfprince13 wrote:
right now I'm uploading the stylesheet, and whatever page I'm working on every 2 minutes or so, and the index + header every 15 or so.

Which I'm guessing are all in the same parent folder, correct? If so, what I said above is still completely valid Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Which I'm guessing are all in the same parent folder, correct? If so, what I said above is still completely valid Wink

except the parent folder also has lots of stuff that I *don't* want to upload, that aren't on the server. (.xcf files, etc)
Bah, stop trying to fight it Kllrnohj, its a good feature Razz hehe
elfprince13 wrote:
except the parent folder also has lots of stuff that I *don't* want to upload, that aren't on the server. (.xcf files, etc)

Ah, gotcha. I tend to always have a clone of the server on my local box for testing. Thus I never have files that I don't want uploaded in that folder.

Its a good practice, you should give it a try Wink

Quote:
Bah, stop trying to fight it Kllrnohj, its a good feature Razz hehe

Only a good feature for those with poor folder management skillz Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours