Hey all,

Recently I've been working on BomberMan TI. Its basically like the classic bomberman game but on the calculator and you're only going to be running through different mazes and such (instead of actually trying to blow your teammate up Razz )

This game is a CLASSIC and not many people have actually heard of it from what I can see. I used to play this game non-stop when I was younger and I finally found it again at the link above. I've been working on it for a little bit and all I have to do is make it render custom maps and such and it should work fine.

I'll post the source for voluntary optimization (if anyone is up to it Razz ), as well as different maps I make that will ressemble the original bomberman maps, when I find my silverlink cable...

Update:
    A couple minor updates for the most part. If there wasn't a menu in the last update (can't remember) there is now.

Again, this is only for the TI-84* calculators. I've included some custom levels and its really easy to change them around. I'll be adding tons more features to the editor as well as things like drops in the actual game.

Drops, Objectives, and other things won't be added at least for a little bit. But I'll be adding them eventually Razz

I've made the explosion smaller and eventually when drops are added it will allow you to have a larger explosion.

I fixed the glitch where you can blow up walls if you're in the right spot, so thats finished as well.

Hope you guys like it so far.

Download BomberMan: TI
swivelgames wrote:
Hey all,

Recently I've been working on BomberMan TI. Its basically like the classic bomberman game but on the calculator and you're only going to be running through different mazes and such (instead of actually trying to blow your teammate up Razz )

This game is a CLASSIC and not many people have actually heard of it from what I can see. I used to play this game non-stop when I was younger and I finally found it again at the link above. I've been working on it for a little bit and all I have to do is make it render custom maps and such and it should work fine.

I'll post the source for voluntary optimization (if anyone is up to it Razz ), as well as different maps I make that will ressemble the original bomberman maps, when I find my silverlink cable...

Sounds interesting. I hope you know that this is already available. However, I hope you make a better one!
Mine is in basic, but it runs surprisingly smooth. I'm adding extras too though, including block-drops like fire, and possibly ice.

The custom map configuration will be stored in a matrix and the syntax will be the same as the original bomberman txt file syntax.

Fire will increase your explosions radius and ice will make you lose traction (might take too much work to program, but I might try Razz ). I'll make it so that you can blow up drops as well though since it was in the original game and it will allow you to avoid accidently getting the ice addon. I was going to say I'll add the skate and the slow drops but I'm not sure I can manipulate the speed of bomberman through Basic (make it faster, at least).
swivelgames wrote:
Mine is in basic, but it runs surprisingly smooth. I'm adding extras too though, including block-drops like fire, and possibly ice.

The custom map configuration will be stored in a matrix and the syntax will be the same as the original bomberman txt file syntax.

Fire will increase your explosions radius and ice will make you lose traction (might take too much work to program, but I might try Razz ). I'll make it so that you can blow up drops as well though since it was in the original game and it will allow you to avoid accidently getting the ice addon. I was going to say I'll add the skate and the slow drops but I'm not sure I can manipulate the speed of bomberman through Basic (make it faster, at least).

Sounds very nice. Good luck!
Am I hearing the possibility of custom maps and an in-game map editor :D
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Am I hearing the possibility of custom maps and an in-game map editor Very Happy

Huh? Can you re-iterate that please.
You mean kind of like http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/350/35050.html? Smile Yours sounds awesome, though, I look forward to trying it and also to optimizing it. Smile
@ some18kanal0n3 :
Yes thats exactly right! Razz

The drops, however, will be random as usual Razz

@ All:
Its going to pwn Razz

@ Kerm:
Yeah, I've had that before Razz
Swoll_Monkey wrote:
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Am I hearing the possibility of custom maps and an in-game map editor Very Happy

Huh? Can you re-iterate that please.

Basically, Swivel is putting the game map in a matrix, therefor, by studying the matrix's (or through provided documentation) one can make their own maps for his game.

An in-game editor would allow the user to create maps from within the program and test-drive them without having to start-up the program to see what works and exit to edit the matrix.

This is often a challenge because you can't create another program to save the map, it will have to be saved in a matrix. Though they aren't used very often in math - at least at the level I was taking - they were used often in other programs; commonly for maps.

I can PM you better details if you wish Smile

swivelgames wrote:
...and all I have to do is make it render custom maps and such and it should work fine.

@swivel: Sweetness~ Keeping the random drops is a good thing I think.
Great! I was trying to make a BASIC bomberman game a while ago, and I must say getting it to run speedily was a pain! I eventually settled on bomberkids (a good ASM rendition).

I'll look forward to seeing this as well as fixing it up with some omnicalc font graphics and the new omnicalc font loader program developed by TheStorm for pokemon purple. Of course, that will probably just be for my own enjoyment (no releases or anything unless I get permission from EVERYONE involved plus a ton of interest. Why am I even mentioning this?).
Okay, I just posted up the source, so you guys can see it now.

Optimize it if it needs it and post it up or pm me.

As for right now, I'm going to sleep and in the morning I'll be working on the menu, map rendering, and all those goodies. I think I have a pretty good idea on how I'm going to implement the map thing.

Right now, with the source I posted up, you can move around with up, down, left, and right, exit with Enter, and place a bomb with 2ND.

Have fun messing around with it right now. I think I did pretty good in making the little dude, especially with a cheap improvision of basic characters in TI-BASIC Razz

EDIT: I suspect some sort of memory leak in the program atm. Earlier today I noticed the animation getting slower and moving was a bit harder after a while of messing around in it. It might have just been me though... Wink
Can you repost the source with indents turned on? I want to see what I can do as far as tracing the memory leak goes.
There you go Razz

BomberMan: TI - Source Code w/ Indents wrote:
:Lbl ST
:ClrHome
:0→θ
:1→C:1→M
:1→X:1→Y
:1→V:1→W
:1→H:1→K:0→P
:Lbl G
:While C=1
:¦ Repeat θ
:¦ ¦ If P≠0
:¦ ¦ Output(K,H,"°
:¦ ¦ If P≠0 and checkTmr(P)≥2
:¦ ¦ Goto E
:¦ ¦ If M=1
:¦ ¦ Then
:¦ ¦ ¦ Output(Y,X,"x
:¦ ¦ ¦ 0→M
:¦ ¦ ¦ Else
:¦ ¦ ¦ Output(Y,X,"+
:¦ ¦ ¦ 1→M
:¦ ¦ End
:¦ ¦ getKey→θ
:¦ End
:¦ If θ=21
:¦ Then
:¦ ¦ startTmr→P:X→H:Y→K
:¦ If θ=26 and X<16
:¦ ¦ Output(Y,X,"
:¦ ¦ X+1→X
:¦ If θ=24 and X>1
:¦ ¦ X-1→X
:¦ If θ=25 and Y>1
:¦ ¦ Y-1→Y
:¦ If θ=34 and Y<8
:¦ ¦ Y+1→Y
:¦ If θ=105
:¦ DelVar C
:End
:Goto θ
:Lbl E
:Output(K,H,"*
:While θ≤1
:¦ θ+1→θ
:¦ If H-θ>0
:¦ Output(K,H-θ,"*
:¦ If H+θ<17
:¦ Output(K,H+θ,"*
:¦ If K-θ>0
:¦ Output(K-θ,H,"*
:¦ If K+θ<9
:¦ Output(K+θ,H,"*
:Output(K,H,"
:¦ Output(K,H-θ,"
:¦ Output(K,H+θ,"
:¦ Output(K-θ,H,"
:¦ Output(K+θ,H,"
:If (X≥H-2 and X≤H+2 and Y=K) or (Y≥K-2 and Y≤K+2 and X=H)
:Goto ST
:0→P
:Goto G
:Lbl θ
:Output(1,1," BomberMan - TI
:Output(6,1,"Currently Being
:Output(7,1,"Developed
:Output(8,1," -Hit Any Key -
:Repeat getKey:End
:Output(1,1,"
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005 Cemetech
I see no obvious problems, ie, Gotos inside indented sections of code. Here's a few random optimizations I noticed going through your code:

BomberMan: TI - Source Code w/ Indents wrote:
:Lbl ST
:Delvar θDelvar P1→C:1→M
:1→X:1→Y
:1→V:1→W
:1→H:1→K
:Lbl G
:While C=1
:¦ Repeat θ
:¦ ¦ If P:Output(K,H,"°
:¦ ¦ If P and checkTmr(P)≥2
:¦ ¦ "+
:| | If M:"x
:| | Output(Y,X,Ans
:¦ ¦ not(M->M
:¦ ¦ getKey→θ
:¦ If θ=21
:¦ ¦ startTmr→P:X→H:Y→K
:¦ If θ≠105:Output(Y,X,"
:¦ X+(θ=26 and X<16)-(θ=24 and X>1→X
:¦ Y+(θ=34 and Y<8)-(θ=25 and Y>1→Y
:¦ If θ=105:DelVar C
:Goto θ
:Lbl E
:Output(K,H,"*
:Delvar θWhile θ≤1
:¦ Output(K,H-θ,"*
:¦ Output(K,H+θ,"*
:¦ Output(K-θ,H,"*
:¦ Output(K+θ,H,"*
:Output(K,H,"
:¦ Output(K,H-θ,"
:¦ Output(K,H+θ,"
:¦ Output(K-θ,H,"
:¦ Output(K+θ,H,"
:If (X≥H-2 and X≤H+2 and Y=K) or (Y≥K-2 and Y≤K+2 and X=H)
:Goto ST
:0→P
:Goto G
:Lbl θ
:Output(1,1," BomberMan - TI
:Output(6,1,"Currently Being
:Output(7,1,"Developed
:Output(8,1," -Hit Any Key -
:Repeat getKey:End
:Output(1,1,"
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005 Cemetech

Edit: Now I see the problem, the Goto E is the problem:
Quote:
Okay I updated the code a bit and changed it around. I took out one of your optimizations just because it slowed the character's animation down a bit, lol.

I updated the main post with the new source.

As for maps: I've finished my a quick renderer. All I have to do now is collisions and make sure the explosions don't take out the solid blocks (as opposed to the boxes).

I'm almost done with v1 guys, hang in there! Very Happy
BomberMan: TI

Its not an official release per se, but its got a level in it and the majority of the game structure itself is completed.

All I have left to do now is make drops, bomb perks, add multiple levels, the map editor, and possibly an objective of some sort... Help on the last one would be much appreciated Razz

Bomb Perks / Drops will include: multiple bombs, bigger explosions, and possibly something that will allow you to destroy the "permanent" walls.
I'm getting an error when I open it up.
I can't predict what error you got, so you'll have to explain what happened when you got it Razz
swivelgames wrote:
I can't predict what error you got, so you'll have to explain what happened when you got it Razz

It loaded up the map and then stopped and said "ERROR: VERSION"
What calculator do you have? This is only for the TI-84

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours