This will likely offend you, KermM, although I have been careful to avoid that. Read it with caution. I also ask that no one with the power to do so edits, locks, or deletes this post. You may not like what I have to say, but at least let me say it, and let others respond freely.
I feel like there needs to be a change on Cemetech. It's a great board, don't get me wrong, with lots of skilled programmers. It hosts one of the best shells ever, DCS7. I really appriciate all of the help that myself and others have gotten from here.

However, I feel like there are some obvious problems that have been occuring. I do not mean to offend, but merely to be heard.
1) The anti-Omnimaga "vibe"
I feel like, although no one admits to it or talks about it, many of the people here give off an air of dislike, or even a hatred. There is nothing wrong with Omnimaga. It is the most active calculator board out there. It is the home to 17+ active projects. Yet people still look down on Omnimaga as if Cemetech is better. I've heard the term Omninoobs more times than I can count from here. Omni doesn't bash Cemetech. We post news about a lot of Cemetech related things. A lot of people who host projects on Omnimaga cross-post with Cemetech. I've never seen KermM cross-post a DCS7 update with Omnimaga until it was completely done. Can we try to bring the community together, instead of tear it in two? We have a hard enough time fighting TI without our little internal conflicts.
2) Censorship
I don't think it's a coincidence that every time I have mentioned Omnimaga in a post, that it is removed. I have been told plenty of times that it wasn't simply an anti-Omnimaga guesture, but I simply don't believe it. Those posts haven't been spamming Omnimaga, either. For example, Omnimaga offers file attachments to posts, so when I'm cross-posting, I will usually provide a link to the file on Omnimaga. I provided one such link, and it was changed to serve the same purpose, but without the text "omnimaga" visible. The most blatant abuse of censorship power is a rant I posted, in the rant board that edited out the entire rant, to the point where no one could possibly guess the contents of the topic from the title. I fully appriciate the power an admin holds to edit posts. However, history has shown that those with power abuse it the most. Spam is one thing, but editing out an honest opinion because you disagree with it is wrong.
3) Encouragement
A lot of people on Cemetech are very encouraging of projects. However, others are not. And the admins don't do anything about it. I think it's best to encourage more cool things for calcs, not to discourage things. If someone is struggling with something, like I am with raw flash control, it is not time to discourage them and tell them they can't do it. It's a good time to help them achieve their goals. Would a school administrator stand by a coach telling a player how much they suck, without even a word?

I will not apologize for my opinion, but I do not fault anyone for disagreeing with it. I'm not saying that Omnimaga is perfect, either. In fact, both boards are far from perfect. I'm simply stating my opinion, and I hope to make the community better in the process.
SirCmpwn wrote:
This will likely offend you, KermM, although I have been careful to avoid that. Read it with caution. I also ask that no one with the power to do so edits, locks, or deletes this post. You may not like what I have to say, but at least let me say it, and let others respond freely.
I feel like there needs to be a change on Cemetech. It's a great board, don't get me wrong, with lots of skilled programmers. It hosts one of the best shells ever, DCS7. I really appriciate all of the help that myself and others have gotten from here.

However, I feel like there are some obvious problems that have been occuring. I do not mean to offend, but merely to be heard.
1) The anti-Omnimaga "vibe"
I feel like, although no one admits to it or talks about it, many of the people here give off an air of dislike, or even a hatred. There is nothing wrong with Omnimaga. It is the most active calculator board out there. It is the home to 17+ active projects. Yet people still look down on Omnimaga as if Cemetech is better. I've heard the term Omninoobs more times than I can count from here. Omni doesn't bash Cemetech. We post news about a lot of Cemetech related things. A lot of people who host projects on Omnimaga cross-post with Cemetech. I've never seen KermM cross-post a DCS7 update with Omnimaga until it was completely done. Can we try to bring the community together, instead of tear it in two? We have a hard enough time fighting TI without our little internal conflicts.
2) Censorship
I don't think it's a coincidence that every time I have mentioned Omnimaga in a post, that it is removed. I have been told plenty of times that it wasn't simply an anti-Omnimaga guesture, but I simply don't believe it. Those posts haven't been spamming Omnimaga, either. For example, Omnimaga offers file attachments to posts, so when I'm cross-posting, I will usually provide a link to the file on Omnimaga. I provided one such link, and it was changed to serve the same purpose, but without the text "omnimaga" visible. The most blatant abuse of censorship power is a rant I posted, in the rant board that edited out the entire rant, to the point where no one could possibly guess the contents of the topic from the title. I fully appriciate the power an admin holds to edit posts. However, history has shown that those with power abuse it the most. Spam is one thing, but editing out an honest opinion because you disagree with it is wrong.
3) Encouragement
A lot of people on Cemetech are very encouraging of projects. However, others are not. And the admins don't do anything about it. I think it's best to encourage more cool things for calcs, not to discourage things. If someone is struggling with something, like I am with raw flash control, it is not time to discourage them and tell them they can't do it. It's a good time to help them achieve their goals. Would a school administrator stand by a coach telling a player how much they suck, without even a word?

I will not apologize for my opinion, but I do not fault anyone for disagreeing with it. I'm not saying that Omnimaga is perfect, either. In fact, both boards are far from perfect. I'm simply stating my opinion, and I hope to make the community better in the process.

I agree with not closing/locking/editing/deleting this post, though I have not seen these issues, I don't look around at all the posts, so I don't know, but if it is true, I do think an explanation is deserved, especially if that stuff is happening for an "omnimaga" reason.
w.r.t. to Omnimaga, I'm going to let Kerm present his side without attempting to do it for him, but there is one point I would like to address.
Quote:
And the admins don't do anything about it. I think it's best to encourage more cool things for calcs, not to discourage things. If someone is struggling with something, like I am with raw flash control, it is not time to discourage them and tell them they can't do it. It's a good time to help them achieve their goals. Would a school administrator stand by a coach telling a player how much they suck, without even a word?

The following is relevant, and when you get "trolled" think not of a high school coach, but a drill sergeant.
elfprince13 wrote:
Dear Everyone,
Please stop making stupid remarks.
Love,
Me

Rhombus, I'm sure you're very proud of your console hacking website, and that it is a lovely place; however, it isn't Cemetech. Our members who you have referred to as "trolls" are in fact helpful and contributing members of the community. If you make stupid remarks, they call you on it, and/or mock you for it. If you make intelligent remarks, they either:

• respond in kind, OR
  • ignore you if they don't care about the subject and there is nothing obvious to be mocked.

It may seem harsh at first, but those of us who have been around a while are fond of their ability to needle everyone else into a more intelligent level of discussion. If you have further complaints or wish to discuss official Cemetech policy, you are welcome to PM me.

KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince phrased the official Cemetech party line very well. We try to ride a fine line between politeness and not babysitting people. Trolling is a fact of the internet, and in this case, Nikky's suggestion (though somewhat veiled) that you consider trying out alternative browsers is a very valid one.
That is fine, but I would think that an administrator that is proud of his/her website would not want trolls on it.
SirCmpwn wrote:
That is fine, but I would think that an administrator that is proud of his/her website would not want trolls on it.

Well from what I just read from the post above yours, and from what I have heard and seen, Nikky just doesn't troll, he is very helpful and tries to help people keep an open mind, and yes he does seem to troll at times, but that is something that I am almost positive everyone has done at some point, meaning to or not.
Who do you mean by "Our" in the topic title, if there are other people who feel this way but don't make such broad statements without stating who the others are.

1. I have never seen any blatant anti-Omnimaga comments or posts here, ever, I have no clue where this vibe comes from other than all the drama that seems to stem from there, your post included. This post is also the first time I have even read the term Omninoob.

2. I'm going to wait on responding to this util I have seen proof of Omnimaga related censorship. I for one can guarantee I have never done so. As for the rant it is up to the person who move the topic to suspended to explain himself if he wishes though he is under no obligation to do so.

3. We have not nor have we ever said you should just give up. All we are saying is that an OS is most likely a poor choice for someone with the current knowledge you possess. We have seen many large projects fail because the authors bit off more than they could chew and thus don't want you to make the same mistake. If we truly were trying to discourage you we would simply refuse to help, but instead we have been more than willing to do so.

One of the first steps to writing and OS should be to look at how other OS's for that platform work, to understand why they made the decisions they did and to try to improve upon what they did. You have shown that you feel TI has just done everything wrong without actually looking into the reasons behind the decisions they made. Whether you want to admit it or not they did things the way they did for a reason. It doesn't matter if you agree with their justifications or not. They also planned things much more than you seem to have long before they started writing their first piece of code. I would suggest you look through TI-OS a bit, or even the TI SDK, to understand the hardware and software so you have an idea of how and why they did things before preceding with KOS.
As for "our," many people agree, but I meant it mostly because I was referring to the community as a group. I couldn't really decide on a title for this topic, the title is the least important part.
1. Most of it occurs in IRC
2. The problem with that is that once censored, it is no longer viewable.
3. "a poor choice" sounds like discouragement to me. As for "feeling like TI has just done everything wrong" is an outright lie. That is not true in any way, shape, or form. I simply feel it can be done better. I fully comprehend the software and the hardware, with little exception, and it happens that I have a working kernel with support for multitasking, which has only ever been done once before, in an abandoned and forgotten project, which never even had support for libraries.
SirCmpwn wrote:
As for "our," many people agree, but I meant it mostly because I was referring to the community as a group. I couldn't really decide on a title for this topic, the title is the least important part.
1. Most of it occurs in IRC
2. The problem with that is that once censored, it is no longer viewable.
3. "a poor choice" sounds like discouragement to me. As for "feeling like TI has just done everything wrong" is an outright lie. That is not true in any way, shape, or form. I simply feel it can be done better. I fully comprehend the software and the hardware, with little exception, and it happens that I have a working kernel with support for multitasking, which has only ever been done once before, in an abandoned and forgotten project, which never even had support for libraries.

Not to bash or troll or anything, but can you even prove what I have just quoted into bold?
I cross posted it from Omnimaga, here are the relevant quotes:

yunhua98: "rated up. I do not have an account on Cemetech, but I do lurk there very often. I have noticed a couple people trolling and discouraging others. In fact, a couple of days ago, Ranman was asking if one of his posts were to long, because a member had said "tl:dr" to one of his posts that were menat to help others, he was not forcing anyone to read it. Another example is how Sir was discouraged from screating KOS. I feel that Cemetech is a great and active board, but I beleive there is a lack of "friendship and encouragement" that exists between Omnimembers."

Netham45: "The constant trolling and complete and utter lack of administrative intervention is an issue. I don't care if it stays over at Cemetech, but when you start bringing other sites and other people into it, it becomes an issue to me, and needs to stop."

Xeda112358: "Jeez, this is messed up. We all program for free, we devote our time and energy and thought to a project that is much larger than any site on calculator programming that exists. Why are there programmers out there that would act that way. In order to further the development of programming skills and ability, we need to collaborate. This is ridiculous and it is not called for. I have only checked out the site a few times (back when I was a BASIC programmer) and I know there is intelligence there, so is it all devoted to the programming and none to humanity?"

adamac16: "Can't we all just get along?"

Ranman: "I've been a member of Omnimaga for over 5 years now. I have seen the things that SirCmpwn is talking about."
I think such matter should be discussed with the admin concerned, or the admin should discuss them with you, like I do everytime there is an issue between an Omni member and myself/my site.

I disagree that the rant should have been deleted, I think it would be fine since it would clarify things, but it is Kerm's website: He has the right to decide what is allowed and what's not, and you can do nothing about it. The only thing you can do is if something wrong occurs on Omnimaga directly. It's like if someone complains that we're too strict on rude comments: Omnimaga is our site and we reserve the right to punish people who are unnecessarly rude to others. Cemetech is not Omnimaga and Omnimaga is not Cemetech. It's Kerm decision run run Cemetech how he does. I tried convincing every admin of other sites to disallow rude comments before and it gave me a bad reputation for a while, because they are not my site and admins there can run them how they want.

That said, I do not know what happens behind the scenes and I effectively saw words "omnidrama" or "omninoobs" before, but at Omni we can do nothing about it. If people notice bad things said against Omnimaga, it's up to them to decide if they mind it or not and if they want to stay or leave. Since this topic was cross-posted on Omni, I'm gonna keep an eye on him so it doesn't turn into an anti-Cemetech or cemetech vs Omni battle. That's the last thing we need in the community. Anyway I am glad that you posted it in his website sub-forum too, because I wouldn,t have appreciated to see matters from other sites brought up on Omni in a new topic. In fact I planned to lock the topic if it turned into a war. It's fine if there's a tiny comment like "lol at Nikky trollign on Cemetech" but not starting inter-community wars.

Let's learn from the community past mistakes that nearly caused its death, shall we?
SirCmpwn wrote:

yunhua98: "rated up. I do not have an account on Cemetech, but I do lurk there very often. I have noticed a couple people trolling and discouraging others. In fact, a couple of days ago, Ranman was asking if one of his posts were to long, because a member had said "tl:dr" to one of his posts that were menat to help others, he was not forcing anyone to read it. Another example is how Sir was discouraged from screating KOS. I feel that Cemetech is a great and active board, but I beleive there is a lack of "friendship and encouragement" that exists between Omnimembers."

Netham45: "The constant trolling and complete and utter lack of administrative intervention is an issue. I don't care if it stays over at Cemetech, but when you start bringing other sites and other people into it, it becomes an issue to me, and needs to stop."

Xeda112358: "Jeez, this is messed up. We all program for free, we devote our time and energy and thought to a project that is much larger than any site on calculator programming that exists. Why are there programmers out there that would act that way. In order to further the development of programming skills and ability, we need to collaborate. This is ridiculous and it is not called for. I have only checked out the site a few times (back when I was a BASIC programmer) and I know there is intelligence there, so is it all devoted to the programming and none to humanity?"

Ranman: "I've been a member of Omnimaga for over 5 years now. I have seen the things that SirCmpwn is talking about."

Well if you ask me, that sounds like the Drama of real life, anyone care to agree with me on that?
I am a member of both sites and I do not see a major issue, but then again I do not comb through every forum and topic. I do, however, see a division in "strong points" between the two. Generally, I find that if I am looking for anything related to Axe or gaming, Omnimaga is my better bet, but if I am looking for help with assembly routines and assembly concepts, my topics get "hit" more on cemetech (a shout out and a thank you to DeepThought, thepenguin77, and many other omnimaga users who have also helped me a great deal)

Sonlen wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:

Well if you ask me, that sounds like the Drama of real life, anyone care to agree with me on that?

Really, Sonlen? Was that really necessary?
Sonlen wrote:

I'm not providing interpretation of the quotes, I'm just providing the quotes.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

I'm not providing interpretation of the quotes, I'm just providing the quotes.

I was saying what it sounds like as I hear stuff like that all the time at school, that imho has nothing to do with what is going on, just people not getting along/in a bad mood, nothing more. Then again, I could be wrong.
Well, what we all need to do is sit back, relax, and respect each others' right to disagree respectfully.
ACagliano wrote:
Well, what we all need to do is sit back, relax, and respect each others' right to disagree respectfully.

Agreed
Cemetech will be Cemetech and Omnimaga will be Omnimaga. they are not one and the same, and everyone knows this. you don't open up a link on Cemetech and assume that all of Omnimaga's policies are implied -- because the two are separate, and so are their interests. Cemetech is more ASM/Hardware oriented. Omnimaga is more about games. Cemetech will not tolerate questions that can easily be googled or searched for on the forum. Omnimaga will answer any question, regardless of its simplicity. And thus, the responses in each will vary. ask a Cemetechian what a register in ASM is, and they may well give you a link to lmgtfy. ask an Omnimagan and they'll give an explanation or perhaps point the asker to ASM In 28 Days or Hot Dog's own tutorial. Each forum has its own general style, just as each individual member has their own style. it's best to let site administrate themselves accordingingly, and choose whichever site fits you best.

edit: and i agree with sonlen. this sounds like real life drama. except stupider, because it's not real life. i guess that'd just be called drama. anyone know of a word that means drama with a negative/pointless connotation?
nemo, that is a valid point, although I'm not sure how to phrase my opinion on it. I disagree with some parts, but not others.
@ nemo: If you were new to programming of any form and posted a question, would you rather be hit with a link, or given a personalized explanation?
ACagliano wrote:
@ nemo: If you were new to programming of any form and posted a question, would you rather be hit with a link, or given a personalized explanation?

Personalized explanation. what begs this question?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours